Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,719 Posts
Never fired and only dropped once?

· Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,168 Posts
We do not use this type of language on this forum ... Never fired and only dropped once ... We need to get past this type of thinking and get back to the topic French weapons ...
Thank You
Patrick

1,154 Posts
Not again :mad: :mad:

Moderators maybe it would be time to start editing the posts of the phrases?

8,168 Posts
It is winter again and this is when most of this type of stuff happens ... everyone is couped up indoors and trying to stay warm ... I will make a post tomorrow reflecting our position of the type of language that will not be tolerated on this forum ... You will not post any political or any derogatory comments towards the French government, people, soldiers, or weapons. Comments such as Used Once and Dropped, pieces of junk, French troops were cowards, White Flag and surrendering, French government and people are ____ etc., etc. will not be tolerated and immediately deleted. This will be strictly enforced by the moderators of this board vonmazur and 1886lebel and a warning issued for the first time offense a second offense will result in banishment from this section of the forums.
Patrick

1,154 Posts
Thanks!

· Registered
90 Posts
I have encountered this type of BS when I take my French rifles to the ranges. There always has to be somebody who just has to make snotty comments about French rifles etc., and it gets really old. This board should be a place where we dont have to listen to this stuff.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Still remember taking a very clean post war MAS36 to a York PA gunshow to sell. If I had a nickel for every jackass that made the same comment I could retire early. Suffice to say, I found another C&R collector who appreciated French small arms and was more than happy to take it off my hands. I've grudgingly put up with this crap only because it means less competition for all the nice French collectibles here in the US. Let 'em chase K98s and Garands, just so long as they leave the good stuff to those who appreciate it.

· Copper Bullet member
416 Posts
Being new to French firearms I can only give you some recent personal observations. There seem to be quite a few of the re arsenaled excellent condition ones languishing on the auction sites at around $300-$350. In my area the two that I have seen in gunshops were both around $350. My wild guess would be that if you were patient one could be found for $300 or a little less. Pre war original condition ones are much harder to find and the prices seem to start around $400 and go up from there. These are only my novice observations and I'm sure others here with much more experience in collecting these fine firearms can answer your question much better than I. This is a great forum and I have been the recipient of much helpful advice from the friendly members here.

· Silver Bullet member
567 Posts
As the above poster mentions, I have found these to be in the $ 300 to $ 350 range looking at the online auctions. It may depend on the area you reside, since usually prices can be all over the map. About a year ago, I paid $ 260 for unissued condition refurbed MAS 36 from a board member, which would probably be considered high by most here. However it was something I really wanted, and I wanted one with an excellent bore.

I think the days of the $ 60 - $ 130 new condition rifles have long passed, and with more people coming into the hobby prices will just keep going up. That's not to say you couldn't get one for less, just have to shop and ask around. But there does seem to be more interest in these rifles, and of course that will drive the prices up.

I'm happy with the one I got - a nice short rifle that's a real shooter. I'd like to get a few of the later models, but it seems the prices people are asking are way out of line most of the time...

8,168 Posts
I have missed something here, I just want to find out the price of what looks like a new weapon. Am I in some sort of trouble here? .... Nope no trouble at all .... I was just pointing out to members of the board to remind them that we will not tolerate any stupid language regarding French Firearms.
As post WWII weapons are beyond my collecting realm of French weapons I am sure someone with vast knowledge of them will let you know what they are worth.
Patrick

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Govteach51, S
Sorry we got a bit OT, you didn't do anything wrong. My experiences roughly parallel Jindodog's observations. As a very crude guide I personally use the following with the usual caveats of condition and rarety...
Pre-War - $150-$400
Post War - $100 -$300
I've left out MAS 36s built during the Vichy/Occupation period as I personally don't have a good handle on them. They don't come to market often and I've seen the odd item (both rifles and pistols) that just doesn't look kosher to me. My personal knowledge of Vichy firearms is too shallow for me to be comfortable dealing in them.
As the French small arms collector community here in the US seems to be tiny compared to those of other makes and countries, it means less competition. So in many instances a nice bargain can be found with a bit of patience and luck. And remember, when viewing auction results, both live and internet, look at the hammer prices as they are the only accurate barometer of the current market. Asking prices and pre-sale estimates don't reflect what other collectors are willing to pay for something.
If I had to guess, the MAS you looked at was one of the post war arsenal rebuilds that Century imported in quantity in the 90's. I saw them selling for $100 at gunshows in that time period. All the ones I examined were in excellent condition and many had the muzzle rifling "refreshed" by counterboring (a la Finn Mosins) so don't be surprised to see a CB bore as it's common and doesn't affect pricing IMHO.
Good luck on the search and please continue to visit and post here!

· Registered
2,300 Posts
New vs Rebuilt as new...

Sir: The French sold the guns here that were new or rebuilt as new. The way to tell is the Rondel on the stock, and the series numbers stamped on the fore end, floor plate, trigger guard, and bolt. These were stamped in after finishing, by the comittee of reception at the Manufacturing facility.

I just got a Minty FG series from McGoo this was a gun that was sold by Century Arms in the 80's, and was no doubt once wrapped in waxed cloth.

a caveat: The later series guns, like the late FG FH and FJ series do not have the triggerguard stamped with the series number and pre fix. The general feeling is that they caved in more than one of them doing this, and the newer cast guards were so precise that this was a redundant operation.....Read the above stickies for the hot poop on when they changed the location of the series numbers on the reciever and fore end wood....Jan 1 1954 seems to be the era....

Dale

· Copper Bullet Member
12,789 Posts
FWIW: I've Read all this with interest and have many fine french milsurp rifles in mint to near mint back to an unissued 74 gras. I admit I have benefitted from the ignorance/misinformation of others and paid very little for most of my modest collection. I do think prices have gone way, way up (for all the reasons posted above ) but like housing we may entering an unprecendented buyers market. I'm afraid french firearm values may suffer more than the rest of the field.

· Registered
1,005 Posts
The last two I bought, paid $150 for a unwrapped refurb and $185 for a Horiz FH series non refinished metal in new/refurb stock.

I just don't think a refurb is worth $300, seems everyone does want that much or more on auction sights though...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.