Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some quick pictures of a odd-ball for the forum to enjoy---I'll take some good photo's tomorrow and post them...But needless to say, this is the only MO marked K98 I have seen other then a picture of one in BBOTW.

Interesting enough, both the picture in BBOTW and this example are early guns with a second date of 42. I would suspect that these are very far and few between.

"Ministerstvo Oborony", or Ministry of Defense is better known in the Mosin Nagant side of collecting--several MO marked guns have shown up in recent imports--
But as far as K98's, I have only seen one--this one.

I'm sorry about the picture quality, but this is about all I can do with little to no light to work with tonight...

BAF

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I've got one, 27 1939/42 RC. I posted pics of mine on the old forum and I think only one other person popped up with one and shared pics. Very hard rifle to get hold of. I've already had an offer of $500 on mine but didn't take it. You see the MO all the time on Mosins but not on K98s. Someone said that the Ministry of Defence was the Russian version of the SS. Both are rifles being captured in 1942 means they weren't used against the Russians for very long.
BARQS19

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ministerstvo Oborony, or Ministry of Defence has nothing to do with any analog of SS in Russia (there were no such thing as SS-like structure in Russia at all). The closest analog of Ministerstvo Oborony in the USA is the U.S. Department of Defense.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ministerstvo Oborony, or Ministry of Defence has nothing to do with any analog of SS in Russia (there were no such thing as SS-like structure in Russia at all). The closest analog of Ministerstvo Oborony in the USA is the U.S. Department of Defense.
I must disagree completely. Not only did the Russkies have the zampoliti, but they also had an organization that has never ever taken the wrap the SS has even though they killed an estimated 50 million + during Stalin's reign (more than the Nazis by far)- the N.K.V.D./K.G.B./G.R.U. I realize NKVD/KGB were separate from GRU, but they still did the same things and deserve the title of Russia's SS. Look at what happened to Beria when Stalin died- Khruschev and company had him removed before he could mirror Himmler any more than what he had. While fascism and communism differ radically, Beria's boys and Himmler's crew had a lot in common.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I’m Russian (Russian- American), to start with :) I agree with cdhais1986 that N.K.V.D (Narodny Kommissariat Vnutrenney Bezopasnosnosti – People’s Commissariat of Internal Security) is responsible for terrible crimes against their own people. My point was that N.K.V.D was not an armed formation to the extent what the Waffen SS was, but rather an internal political police organization. OK, maybe some slight analogy with Allgemeine SS/Gestapo exists here. Commissars (aka politruks, or zampolits) were representatives of N.K.V.D and Communists Party in the frontline forces.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I thought the MO was a police-type organization, while the NKVD actually had a uniformed army like the Waffen-SS, but it was used to fight partisans and force regular Red Army units into battle.

·
Gold Bullet member
751 Posts
I've never heard of Russians actually use the Mausers (I might be wrong) If anything ,I would expect them to be used in Poland rather than USSR. If this were the case than MO would spell Milicja Obywatelska - Police formed after WW2. After cold war they were renamed to Police . This is of course just a speculation since it wouldn't be a capture if it was used by MO in Poland after WW2 or would it... there are rare ocassions of Polish Mosin-Nagants being sold out of Russian weapon pile, I don't see why there wouldn't be an ocasional Poland used K98 in it.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I've seen a lot of pictures of Soviet troops carrying German weapons, but there's no way to know if they're Red Army issued or battlefield pickups.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I know it was my rifle. I got the info from the old post we had on this a few months back. I guess we know what they're worth now. I found it odd that so many people looked at it but only got one bid. I emailed everyone that I knew on the forum that had been interested in it but again no one bid.

·
Registered
292 Posts
One thing that struck me was how easy it would be to fake those markings. Don't know if that scares people off or not, but it crossed my mind.

I think the same thing on the Single Rune guns. One good die and whack, single rune SS gun. Of course it needs to be a no letter, but suddenly gun value doubles.

I'd better say I think yours is legit since comments get blown out of proportion, but I see where those wanting to try and turn a buck would try to duplicate the markings.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Well I guess it could be done if you had the right letter M and letter O but that /42 date is basically carved into the rifle. I know for sure this one wasn't fake, I got it from IO like this then immediately made a post on here because I had never seen one. Thought it was a rare code or something at the time.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing that struck me was how easy it would be to fake those markings. Don't know if that scares people off or not, but it crossed my mind.

I think the same thing on the Single Rune guns. One good die and whack, single rune SS gun. Of course it needs to be a no letter, but suddenly gun value doubles.

I'd better say I think yours is legit since comments get blown out of proportion, but I see where those wanting to try and turn a buck would try to duplicate the markings.

"I think the same thing on the Single Rune guns. One good die and whack, single rune SS gun. Of course it needs to be a no letter, but suddenly gun value doubles."

That's why you should study-study-study......

There's more to it then just slapping a single rune on a gun and letting it fly for good informed collectors.....Single rune guns have specific qualities to them to "justify" the single rune--yes no letter code is a "start"--but just a start.

BAF

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
I thought it was only bnz rifles? Their are others? I know some Gew 98 are stamped SS a lot. I would think those would be the hardest to figure out. Weren't the SS Gew 98's converted to K98 form?
BARQS19

1 - 17 of 17 Posts