Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My local gun store got some Miltech M1-s in, and they are priced about 1200. Anyone know anything about these? Also, went in and placed an M1 on layaway. It's priced at 650. The bore is decent, serials, I don't know if they all match. I don't know too much about these rifles as I am mainly a k98 guy. What kind of M-1 am I most likely getting for the 1/2 price of the Miltech? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
98% have been thru the rebuilds and mixmaster parts machine, do you know the maker mark on reciever springfield,winchester,H&R,IHC,,the barrel will show a date when you pull the slide back and lock it if a 50 date it was korea,60's date refurb for VN.import mark on the barrel or reciever,if not possibly a DCM or CMP gun. a 40's dated barrel it is original.all about the throat numbers and muzzle wear

·
Registered
177 Posts
There are no matching serial numbers on most US military arms as the Ordinance Department stressed complete parts interchangeability.

Miltechs have been completely "restored" but I prefer shooters over wall hangers.

I'd check the barrel for a large Blue Sky or similar import mark. If it's there, the rifle could be really worn.

If there's no import mark, I'd also look at the receiver sides for any possible marks indicating a reweld. Once upon a time M1s weren't common (relatively) as they are now, and rewelds can be dangerous.

For $650, if the rifle isn't a reweld and the bore looks ok, I'd expect a decent shooter.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
CMP has an M1 Garand coming out called the "Special". Much better deal on the same concept. New looking rifle. Refinished GI receiver, refinished GI metal parts except for supposedly an aftermarket buttplate. New Boyds stock, and a new commercial barrel. If you really want an M1 that looks new - thats the way to go.

I personally would suggest there "Service Grade" for $600.

Tom

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The $600 M1 may have a "Blue Sky" import stamp on the barrel, but the Miltech gun will not have such a mark. And the Miltech gun will have a new barrel, as it has been refurbished to "like new" condition.

http://www.miltecharms.com

You can see the specs for the Miltech gun there.

Of course, all of this depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is just going to be a weekend blaster, the $600 gun on layaway should do that just fine. If you decide you want to compete in a John C. Garand Match, like next summer at Perry, you may want something with a new barrel.

I bought one of the CMP "Special Grade" guns this morning at CMP North. In fact, I was the first one in line. After taxes it came to $953.18, but that is because of Ohio's sales tax.

My report of this rifle is here:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=3184

Sorry, no pictures. I've been sleeping all day.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips and advice guys. I went back to the store to pick up 2 98s I won on GB and looked her over again. It isn't a reweld. Stock has a circled P on the underside near the trigger guard, reciever says it's Springfield. This one's just going to be my weekend plinker/ coyote (If I see em near the chickens) killer. In November when I hit 21 I am going to send in my 03 (C&R) FFL ap. Hopefully then I will be able to order one direct from CMP if I like this one.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Picked up my M-1 today. It is not a Miltech one after all. It is import marked Arlington Arms, Arlington Va. I had a few questions about it though. First, All of the parts are marked S.A.- meaning that they were all made by Springfield. Does this enhance the value or matter? Also, I've looked on the barrel for the year of Manufacture, but cannot find it. What is on the barrel is- SA 6535448 12 83 BU3 PM. Other than the circled P on the bottom. I can find no other cartouches on the stock. I believe the stock has been sanded or clean.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The barrel date would be the "12 83" portion of the barrel marking, but 1983 is not likely. Are you sure it might not be "12 53" or 12 63" ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Arlington imported ones are generally not as nasty as Blue Sky ones. SA made a lot of parts. You will have to look at the revision dash number to the drawing numbers on the parts to determine if they are the right vintage for the rifle. Barrels are the only part to carry a specific date, as I recall.

What does the barrel look like? If you insert a 30-06 cartridge point first into the muzzle, how much of the bullet sticks out? I have seen Garands with nice shiny bores eat a cartridge down to the case neck. Not good.

Rewelds were generally a product of stateside builders back before Reagan started allowing milsurp imports in. They were built from scrap receivers and typically the drawing number and heat lot codes are incorrect for the manufactuer. Oftentimes they have 2-groove barrels which are 1903 barrels turned down and then swaged into the old Garand barrel stub.

Chances are you don't have a reweld, just an older rifle with some foreign service under its belt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the typo above. Date is 12 63, my tired rear typed that right after I got off work, so sorry for any misinfo on my part. I had my local gunsmith check the rifle this morning, (first thing since he's my dad :D). He says it is definitely not re-welded and the headspace checked out okay. That said, I am assuming that this rifle was made in Dec. 1963. I was aware of M1 use in WW2 and Korea, but I thought the only ones used in Nam were mainly M-1D sniper rifles?? It is obvious that this never had a scope on it. ARVN?? Again, mainly Mauser man so this was a new venture for me. I have yet to fire it, but this gun looks beautiful, and I think for $625 (counting tax) I got a decent shooter and conversation piece of an M1 that has all S.A. parts on it. Not too bad, I think. Only problem is this gun ate up my gun budget for a while, so while that recoups, I am going to keep my eyes open for either a Winchester M1, 660 K98, or a nice M-1 carbine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts