Gunboards Forums banner

41 - 60 of 149 Posts

·
copper Bullet Member
11,406 Posts
Mr Hi Cap MAk and "Dillinger" the 1911 made 03 colt are my favorites. The 03 colt is in .32 but is far more accurate than the mak at 25 yrds in my shaky hands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have occasionally carried my wife's grandfather's Savage 1907 in .380. He bought it for a drive across West Texas after being released from the Army when he got back from France in WW I. I'm told he had it strapped to the floor mounted stick shift. (Those were the days!) My FIL gave it to me about 15 yrs ago.

My "go to" gun is my Browning HiPower that I bought new in flight school in 1978, Carried it in my flight vest and combat until I left the service in 2007.

My CC gun these days is a 9mm Honor Defense...yeah, outside is plastic, but it has never FTE or FTF even when dirty and ~3500 rounds through it. Assembled and tested by Vets. I carry a back up gun NAA .22 Mag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I carry a serious gun virtually all the time. Once, and only once, though, I did carry my C96 Mauser during a quick errand when I was just picking someone up and not planning to get out of the car. I know that I took a risk, but I wanted to be able to say that I had carried it. I wondered at the time when the last time one was used in my area in self-defense. Fortunately I didn't have to use it. I very much doubt that I'll do that again, but it was fun.

Griff

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
When I was in my late 20's I kept my Erfurt 1916 dated Luger in the car. Highly accurate and never once failed me. It's now safely in my house and only loaded when at the range.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
57,766 Posts
Many years ago, when I was 15, I started carrying a luger that I had purchased from a gun store visited.
About 40-45 years ago, I switched to a FN Hi Power in a shoulder holster when ever I was wearing a coat. During the summer I would carry a 9mmKurz PPK in a belt holster & let my shirt hide it.

Almost forgot, when I was 12, I would carry an Enfield pistol (38 S&W) tucked between my belt & my body.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nothing wrong with carrying a "vintage" gun as long as it's SAFE and RELIABLE. I carry a CZ-82 as a my "truck gun". My second choice is a Star BM. But I would carry any of my guns, even the CZ-52 or Nagant revolver, as I know they are ALL reliable shooters and I handle them safely. The only gun I have that I don't think I'd carry is a 1909 S&W Hammerless in .32 S&W. Partly because of the light round, partly due to it's age, partly because I've only fired one cylinder of ammo through it. The CZ-82 and Star BM I have in pairs. If I had to lose one due to having to turn over to the police as evidence I'd still have another. One reason I bought two! I wouldn't carry my full size Llama Maxi-I 1911 clone because it's just too bulky. That and I am least accurate with it than any other gun I have! Second least accurate is the CZ-52. I just never really learned the 1911, and the CZ-52 isn't the most intuitive gun -- unlike the CZ-82 and the Star BM, which just seem natural in my hand as far as size and weight. I suppose an officers model 1911 might too...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've shot my Lugers, including my Father's 1910 bringback thousands of times. 3 P-38's failed at the range, one sheared a locking lug, the other two the top cover flew off. I was using the recommended Winchester white box in them.The key to a Luger running well is a good magazine. My favorite is an FXO with an aluminum base. I've been shooting my Father's 1910 for about 50 years, you'd never know how much it's been shot by looking at it. E-bay stuff vw stuff part 2 005.jpg E-bay stuff vw stuff part 2 011.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only older firearm I carried was the Walther P5 I think that's a big vintage but unknown if ever had any military use.
If there's another handgun that ejects left I've never seen it.
Right now I sticking with my P224 a P229 compact came and p224 was discontinued.
I do not like plastic guns or striker fired.
I can only hope Sig makes a thin frame like P225, in compact, with the new designed tapered magazine.
The P365 is really sweet but plastic and striker, temping but nope, I'll wait and see.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,406 Posts
I do not like --- striker fired.
Agreed, walking around a holstered loaded firearm with compressed spring firing pin held back by a tiny piece of metal is disconcerting. The old tale about some German Officer suffering and AD from an Ortgies at a social event sticks in my mind. Why my 03 colt is house gun and the Mak is a carry.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My main carry piece is a Ruger SRC 1911 in 9mm, Wilson Combat mags allow me a 10+1 capacity. My backup/summer carry is a early 90's commericial Mak in .380. When I am open carrying or out on the trails, I keep a newer production S&W 586 on me. On a rare occasion, I have open carried my shooter grade Luger from 1937 (mismatched toggle train)- It has been just as reliable as the Ruger 1911, both have only jammed once on me despite similar if not the same amounts of ammo being put through them. And that was on the same day because the ammo I was using that day was garbage.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Agreed, walking around a holstered loaded firearm with compressed spring firing pin held back by a tiny piece of metal is disconcerting. The old tale about some German Officer suffering and AD from an Ortgies at a social event sticks in my mind. Why my 03 colt is house gun and the Mak is a carry.
Nowhere near the same thing and it's not held back by just a tiny piece of metal. People really should at least read up before posting

While they're all a little different they all work on the same basic idea. I can't speak for every single gun but as far as Glocks go...

Glock trigger bar is attached to the trigger hinge. This bar extends rearward from the trigger guard, and blocks a firing pin lug on the underside of the firing pin. Aditionally, there is a firing pin channel block. The firing pin block extends into the firing pin channel, blocking about half the channel. While at rest the block extends down into the firing pin channel, blocking the firing pin. The effect is that when the pistol is at rest, the trigger bar cannot be moved. The resting position of the trigger bar blocks the firing pin lug, so the firing pin cannot move. Additionally, the striker end of the firing pin - which contacts the cartridge - is blocked by the firing pin channel block. Thus, the pistol cannot be drop-fired or fired by any action other than pulling the trigger. And of course the striker isn't cocked all the way. To fully **** the trigger must be pulled

So it's not just being held in place by a piece of metal

https://youtu.be/V2RDitgCaD0

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Uuhh..an atlatl is a pointed stick ( and thrower ).

I build them... And the pointed sticks too...
From the sound of things, you could have a market in Hong Kong these days as they are now using PVC Pipe "bows" and arrows.

Until the tanks show up of course........

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
This shows you know very little of how the Striker Fireds actually operate.

The strikers are actually sitting un-cocked fwd until the trigger pull cocks them AND THEN releases them.

It is functionally the same as any DAO autopistol or DA revolver.

People who don't understand them are all scared spitless of Cocked And Locked SA Autopistols like 1911's too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 1903 hammerless pocket model manufactured in 1911, {how ironic}, I have fired it and no problems, but it is in such pristine condition it is now a "safe gun" for the Grandkids to own.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,406 Posts
This shows you know very little of how the Striker Fireds actually operate.

The strikers are actually sitting un-cocked fwd until the trigger pull cocks them AND THEN releases them.

It is functionally the same as any DAO autopistol or DA revolver.

People who don't understand them are all scared spitless of Cocked And Locked SA Autopistols like 1911's too.
I under stand them and should have said i don't like "simple single actions". Glocks are double action which is much safer. IMHO. Folk should be spitless on ones like raven, titans ect.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,406 Posts
I have a 1903 hammerless pocket model manufactured in 1911, {how ironic}, I have fired it and no problems, but it is in such pristine condition it is now a "safe gun" for the Grandkids to own.
My 1911 03 is very worn. It came in from a guy who was a night watchman in the 30's and 40's. Amazingly the original grips are intact. It resides in the house with near loaded mag and an empty chamber. When the shop was open there was a little group of SA auto firing pins with broken sear engagements taped to the wall. It carried a handwritten warning about keeping empty chamber in these. A luger pin was in the center.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Star BM so here are some thoughts on it as something to shoot. I do not carry, so I cannot comment on the pistol in that capacity.

For the money it's a pretty good pistol, but I do think it is outclassed by the usual modern choices.

Pros:
-All metal/sturdy
-Pretty good accuracy (I can keep it on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 yards slow fire)
-Common cartridge (9mm)
-Still easy to score for less than $250 after shipping and xfer fees
-Rather nice size

Cons
-Limited capacity (8+1)
-Limited parts and no real aftermarket
-Sights are mediocre (plus the dovetail on mine is loose and requires shimming so it doesn't fall out)
-May be picky about what bullet profiles it will reliably feed

Most internet reviews proudly proclaim "fantastic trigger". I think you could do a lot worse in the trigger department, but it is far from fantastic.

I would say this is a great truck and plinking pistol. Would I go out of my way to buy this for personal protection? NO. Would I look at this pistol and say this is what I'm betting my life on? NO.

Would I strap this on my hip while on my own property or a friends farm for plinking or for carry practice? Heck ya.

If you really really intend to carry and potentially use a firearm for self defense just be aware a lot of the older pistols have dinky sights, limited ammo capacity, poorer ergonomics, and may have mechanical wear/reliability issues. Old guns are tons of fun and they certainly don't make them like they used to - EDC just might not be the best way to enjoy them. ...but I'm sure a lot of people do and most probably can still get the job done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My two carry guns are a 1911A1 .45 ACP, (going on 38 or so years), and a S&W Mod 36, .38 Spl., (going on about 6 years).

41 - 60 of 149 Posts