Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW...
The Ocotber SOG paper catalog shows Czech silvertip 7.62x54R for $87.56 per 880 rd case. That's more LIKE it, I say, given the recent upswing in prices.

And yeah this ammo is what it is, and all that, but my point is: any thoughts as to further price relief maybe on the way for other milsurp falvors?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I called a few weeks ago at that price and they told me they were out but expected to get more in. I think 7.62x54 is going to drop again soon, I can't imagine all that stuff has been bought up by the supposed government contract or whatever.

Someone on the WTS board a couple weeks ago was talking about Russia possibly being taken off the "no import" list soon. I don't want to start rumors but has anyone else heard this? If that's true then Mosin ammo should drop way down, I would think, when/if it happens.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I still have 2 or 3 thousand rounds on hand but I might get some of this Czech silvertip 7.62x54R at $87.56 just to add to the reserve.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,301 Posts
At the rate I get to the range, my small supply should last for years.

Still, hope more surplus comes in soon and in quantity.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Call for availability

I had called on this as soon as I saw it. 1o cents a round sure sounds good in the days of 15 cents a round for 194o's vintage stuff from AIM. They must leave the advertisment in at SOG because it makes the page layout look good. But yes, call them on it.....It is not available.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yeah, like he said, sorry to rain on your parade, but they have "had it" for like 5-6 months in the flier. They never have it in, so I have no idea why it is still advertised.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Ammo; Another Commodity.

As far as I can tell, ammo, much like corn, gold, oil, or any other tangible asset, will have it's relative value wax and wane according to the market, which as most of us know is a complex and fluid interaction of supply, demand, price, and a zillion other factors that only the most professional of stock Brokers and economics Professors might have a clue about.
We might have a few of those right here on the GB!

If I knew how to successfully play the commodity market, I would be one wealthy dude indeed!

So I opine that we need to work the ammo market like any other commodity investment; try to understand the market factors and predict where the value of that asset might be going, and buy/sell accordingly.

Back last Spring people may have thought that oil was going to be selling for $120 a barrel inside of a week, so $80 oil seemed like a heck of a deal at the time; by all indicators it would only go up.

Surprise!

Of course there is no telling what tomorrow will bring; if Iran nukes Israel, then hang on to your hats! Gas, oil, ammo and most everything will get real expensive real quickly. Many things may get hard to get at all.

But if a somewhat more honest, pragmatic administration gets in in '08 and in defiance of the Arab and Enviro-nazi Lobbyists opens up our vast untapped domestic oil reserves, those who bought that $120 oil might regret that they did.

I have noticed that the recent feeding frenzy over ammo, particularly milsurp, seems to have cooled somewhat over the past couple of weeks.

I found out that a supplier had some of the Bulgarian Light ball 7.62X54R on stripper clips last month; after procrastinating over it for a couple of weeks, I finally called, and was surprised that they actually still had some in stock!
At least the gal I spoke with told me that they had it - so I ordered a can.
Of course it has yet to actually arrive, so after reading previous postings I'm now beginning to wonder.

BTW, that tactic of advertising products that they don't really have in stock, then trying to con you into buying the more expensive alternative is known as "Bait and Switch" - and as far as I know, it is ILLEGAL!

If you get enough customers who have gotten that treatment to file a complaint, you might be able to bring some heat down on SOG. At least file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which won't do their reputation any good.

For a while there, wherever ANY milsurp turned up, even at inflated prices, supplies were all gommed up almost immediately. If you held off for a day or two, chances are you were out of luck.

Prices, although still considerably inflated over what they were just a year ago, seem to have stabilized and at least don't seem to be constantly rising.

Whether more milsurp will become available and the price come back down remains to be seen. If anyone knows for sure, they need to be in the stock market!

Personally, I think that it will probably ease up a little bit, although I don't think that we are ever going back to 2006 prices - at least not any time soon.

But still, an investment in guns and ammo might still be as sound, at least, as it might be in the stock market.

And hey; it's a LOT more fun to play with while waiting for it to appreciate than some dumb ol' stock or bond certificate!

·
Gold Bullet member
1,563 Posts
SOG sent a lot of 7.62x54mm ammo to me when I ordered it. I stopped buying 7.62x54 right after that. Before that I hadn't bought in over a year. I don't think I'll be buying anymore for the next few months. Maybe we can drive prices down if we just don't buy it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts