Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is a 30/40 krag ammo belt but the buckle has a large SA on the front any clues ???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mills Belt

The details on the rear of the buckle are
?ANSON MILLS PAT FEB1 1881
TC ORNDOREE SOLE MANF
WORESTER MASS
USA

Will try to add pics when I master the process

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mills Belt

I have been able to identify the mills belt, it was issued to the South Australian Mounted troops that went to the Boar War in the late 1890s I stumbled across the information in a Book on Australian military equipment. Meant for .303 British rounds.
I thought it quite unusual as most Australian equipment was British pattern and very strange that a US manufacturer supplied to the colonial government of South Australia.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Oh, you mean the brutal, Imperialistic mercenaries who went to South Africa to suppress the freedom of the Afrikaner people so as to steal the natural resources of their country for the bankers and industrialists in England?

Only kidding............ ;-))

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Interesting. I though the Long Lee Enfields(?) used in the Boer War were clip loading,
though as in any war you use what is available which is not always what you'd like.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Nope, the Lee-Metford and No. 1 Lee-Enfields used by the Rooineks and their hired minions - sorry Mech481, I just can't help myself ;-)) - were all manually loaded arms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts