Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across a milled NHM-91 today and am trying to decide if it's a good enough deal to warrant buying. It's the usual thumbhole stock and non-threaded muzzle, milled receiver and appears to be chrome lined 21" barrel. I think it says "Match" on the side but now I can't remember. There are also some random Chinese characters on the receiver that don't mean anything to me.

Condition isn't bad but it isn't all that good either, no rust or anything but some scratches and the like in the metal parts. Bore appears pristine and I pulled the dust cover off and everything looks good inside. Wood condition doesn't matter much as I would be swapping it out for Ironwood stock, grip, handguards and the internals with Tapco for 922r compliance.

They were willing to sell it for $500 (plus approx $40 tax) which seems like a pretty decent enough deal. I looked on gunbroker and see a bunch of them but they all seem to be the stamped receiver version, presumable the milled version is more desirable but what do I know.

A Century built Polish parts model is the only milled AK that I can think of on the market right now and it goes for about $650 which is about the same once the cost of new wood and trigger parts gets factored in. Of course it has a bayonet lug and threaded muzzle which would be nice.

So my two questions are:

How good a deal is this thing?

How difficult is it to thread the muzzle or just attach some type of flash hider/brake?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Those are SUPERB rifles, MAK 91 I believe is what they are referred too as. If you swap your internals I would be interested in purchasing some of them. Should be an exceptionally accurate AK.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,911 Posts
It's a pretty good deal, threading of the muzzle is rather easy, although having a MAK90 type FSB means there's a ton of add on parts you can pin on as well (if you find threading too tough or costly locally).

·
Registered
758 Posts
One should think twice about rushing to replace MAK-91 factory "internals." Those fire control groups are among the best ever fitted on semi-auto only rifles. I'd gravitate toward using Made-in-America magazines instead for the parts-count game but that's just me.

But ... your rifle ... your choice ... of course, of course.

The Chinese figures at the right rear of the receiver translate roughly: "Made to Exacting Specification."

$540 is a good price these days. Don't forget, today's American greenback is badly depreciated over those of twenty-years ago.

These originally came w/ a pretty funky bipod assembly; check to see if this is offered for sale along with the rifle.

MAK-91s are essential "Makified" PolyTechnologies Legend National Match pre-ban rifles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The NHM 91's have a very nice double hook trigger and it would be foolish to take it out. I had one in my hands at a gun show one time and he wanted 400 for it. I told him he was way under priced for the milled reciever / national match rifle and he grabbed a blue book from under the table and I wandered off. Later in the day I came by again and he had it marked at 650 bucks, and he thanked me for pointing it out to him that it was a very nice rifle. He did sell it for 650 after I left. The date of importation is marked on the rifles and I think these are preban and don't need any 922r modifications because they are dated. The national match NHM 91 rifles did not have a tripod nor did they have a brake on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts