Sorry, I havn't been around here lately. Havn't had too much time to work on this thing, but gotten a little done...........Looks like you have a nice project going on there! May I ask from where did you purchase your demised receiver? And are you going to have to fabricate some sort of fixture to hold all the segment straight and square whilst you weld them up? I have often thought about reconstructing a milled receiver, so I will be hoping to see more of your progress. Tally Ho!:thumbsup:
I got the M64 demilled receivers from APEX, and found M70 front stubs from private sellers (1 on Gunbroker, & placed WTB ads). I'm kind of cheap & have limited equipment, so I'll fabricate some type of jig from angle iron & heavy aluminum. This indeed, is an interesting, but not too complicated build.
Thanks to you other guys for your input & information. Here's what I've got so far. I've only been working on the receiver when I get a little spare time.
Decided to use the stub with the relief cuts around the Bbl pin, cleaned up the rough cuts and the UF section. Trimmed up the receiver and dummied it up to get a rough idea of how things are going to line up. Used mags to double check measurements on the magwell. Borrowed my buddies Wasr for overall length and firing pin spacing holes.
Basically clamped the chunks to some heavy angle aluminum and slowly tacked the rear pc on. Decided to build up the sections instead of copper & fill (not a proper jig), I didn't want to warp it too bad. Before I weld the rest of it together, I want to fill in the dreaded FA holes and trim a plate to ensure the rails stay straight. Not sure when I'll get time to do any more work, but I'll keep ou posted.