Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NiklasP
Posted - 05/27/2007 : 11:34:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally got out to shoot a recently acquired Carl Gustaf Stads rolling block that was converted to 8X58RD in 1895. I was surprised that my starting load with 210 grain gaschecked lead bullet, propelled with starting load of Reloader22, hit target way below where the sight setting would indicate. Difference is so great that I wonder if these sights are original from 12,17X42R. Does anyone know if sights on these converted rifles are requlated for the 8X58RD military smokeless load for the time? Or, did they recycle sights for 12,17X42R?

Dutchman
Posted - 05/28/2007 : 02:54:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sights on the 67/89 are unique to that model. They are not recycled from the 1867 model.

NiklasP
Posted - 05/28/2007 : 6:58:49 PM
Guess I will have to get some 235-240 grain gascheck bullets and get the velocity up to get a load that shoots to the sights.

Ken
Posted - 05/28/2007 : 9:45:49 PM
They made front blades in different heights for the 89. Look at the blade you have and you should see a number stamped on the side.

NiklasP
Posted - 05/29/2007 : 12:53:53 PM
Ken,
Mine has 64 stamped on it. So do the barrel, the hammer, the lockbox, the buttstock, the buttplate. What information does that provide, other than matching numbers? The slutstycke has 4962. Conversion to 8X58RD was 1895 with 4-digit number on barrel that is not found elsewhere on gun.

On the front edge of the rear sight is the following sequence of numbers 4757/81. Does that mean anything? Also stamped on the rear sight are the initials W.H. and J.W., which I take to be inspector's initials.

Anyone have trajectory table, muzzle velocity, ballistic coeficient, etc. for the military ammo these sights were regulated to?

Dutchman
Posted - 05/29/2007 : 7:58:29 PM

This one is marked -1.5
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Dutchman/2007529195717_m89front.jpg
Download Attachment:
40.62 KB

NiklasP
Posted - 05/29/2007 : 9:59:03 PM
AHHA!! Mine is -1. Now that I got that straight, what does it mean? What do I do with it? The -1.5 sight looks just like mine with the -1.

arilar
Posted - 05/30/2007 : 2:49:51 PM

I guess Dutchman's sight is half millimeter lower compared to yours.
Dont know anything about shooting the 67/89 but found this little info in a FRS-book written 1896.

The title is freely translated: "How is it, that so many shooters complain over, that they cant learn how to understand, in what way to shot their 8 mm rifles?"
Interesting parts tells: "With increasing loads with blackpowder more and more lower will the rifle shoot. With smokeless powder will, with increasing amount powder, the hits group higher."
and
"Use the governments smokeless powder and long jacket bullets or blackpowder and short jacket bullets."
The article was written by the pseudonym C. L-n that was Johan Christoffer Lemchen, one of the most important persons in FRS in the end of 19s century.

NiklasP
Posted - 05/30/2007 : 3:37:45 PM
Jättebra arilar!

Nice piece of information! I did wonder about the vibrations that happen in that long, slender barrel. I can see at least a few sessions testing greater and greater amounts of slow rifle powder. Maybe try some 777 FFg too.

NiklasP
Posted - 05/31/2007 : 7:35:09 PM
OK, I am still awaiting to learn why these 0,5 mm differences were worthy of recording by stamping them on the front sight.

Are there comparible differences in rear sights? Are these compensations of front sight height to make individual guns shoot to POI with regulation military ammo? Or, is it ...... or ......???

Ken
Posted - 05/31/2007 : 9:07:49 PM
The front sights came in different heights to adjust the POI. Swedes did the same with the mauser rifles.

Patrik
Posted - 07/24/2007 : 12:34:14 PM
I have some sets with different frontblades for the 67-89 for sale if you are interested.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts