Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Richard Mc lean passed away ,here's the e mail i recieved.

I have just received a telephone call from Bob Cooper to advise that Richard
McLean passed away around 4.00Pm today, Richard had been in intensive care
at Epworth Hospital following a Brain aneurysm that accured on Monday
morning.
Richard will be sadly missed by all that knew him and I feel very privilaged
to be one of those people.
We understand the funeral will be at:

Le Pine
Burke Rd
Camberwell

at 1200, Tueday 23rd October 2007
but we will confirm the time, check the papers
Sadly
Jeff Pannan

Richard was instrumental in forging strong ties with the VRA and the SSAA military rifle club ,along with others he arranged the shoots at the Victorian Queens and Lang Lang , Upper Yara etc,which allowed us to shoot up to 500 yds with our Lee Enfields mausers etc ,and will be sadly missed by the military rifle and fullbore communities .

Saturdays shoot will go on as arranged .

See you on the big range in the sky ,from all your shooting mates ,and dont use up all the good 303 ammo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I only had the opportunity of meeting him a couple of times, at Dookie and Bendigo I think.
Had a chat with him on the Friday night at the last Dookie shoot. Seemed like a good bloke.
ST

·
Banned
904 Posts
yes....I remember....

The last conversation I had and will ever have with him. At the sunday shoot just gone at Little River..

He handed me my 300 meter score sheet...said 'I see you've been wandering around all over the bullseye again Dave'.....and then 'I hope you're not going to shoot for the VRA and against us (the SSAA) at Lang Lang?' But I told him no, never have and never will..although there are some 'traitors' that do....He laughed at that and they were our last words...

Wish I had spent more time with him...truly nature's gentleman...but you always wish that when they're gone dont you. RIP Richard.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,344 Posts
RIP

I didn't know the man, but when ever we lose a brother shooter/collector, it is a sad day. Sorry for your loss, and for the family. Have a pint for me when you gather next.
limpetmine

·
Registered
295 Posts
Richard

As well as adding that I will also miss him, others may not know that Richard was a walking encyclopedia on lee Enfields & the Second World War. Alot of people have a strong interest in these things but to talk to him for a while (which I fortunately did) I soon realised he was so knowledgeable as well as a great bloke

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dr Beer , What time should we be attending ?
Do we have to shoot the 500 or is this an option?

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be there after 9.00 am but before 10.00am ,worry about the distance later ,you can use my No4 its great at that distance and you can be coached ,just turn up and enjoy :D:D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to here about your friend. It makes me want to go talk to the WWII veterans I know.
Have a good shoot this weekend.
Wheeler44

·
Registered
151 Posts
Whats that a fullbore jacket!!!!!!
Disgusted Dr!!
wait till you come over here, we will teach you how to shoot properly
Cheers
NED

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"The Marksmans last shot"

We had the traditional "marksmans last shot " to commerate the life of Richard Mclean at saturdays shoot ,a mate of his Brian H fired a single shot at a lone target ,the target was lowered slowly and marked then raised slowly and indicated a "center bull" ,its an tradition with fullbore shooters.

R.I.P Richard​

·
Gold Bullet member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
And we won this:D .
The El Almein trophy made from a 25pdr case ,and it was presented by a veteran of the battle also of Tubruk .

·
Registered
151 Posts
And we won this:D .
The El Almein trophy made from a 25pdr case ,and it was presented by a veteran of the battle also of Tubruk .
Where's Tubruk?
I thought it was Tobruk

Should be shooting under Chapter 16 of SSR's at fig 11 and 12's :p:p:p

I know where you are coming from Dr don't worry. I get bored with that type of shooting all the time cause i keep winning !!!!:D:D:D:D

Got to spice it up sometimes you know
Cheers
NED

·
Banned
904 Posts
Hey Para...... Dr. Beer

was way to modest to mention it but he was a member of the winning team.... :) the 'SSAA Deadbeats' beat the 'Lang Lang VRA Allstars ' by a comfortable margin.

Part of the days activities that was great to see were a couple of fathers who brought their teenage sons along for a shoot....and other 'regulars' also brought new members/visitors. Total rollup was 46 shooters...I think that may have set an attendance record for that shoot. The day was started with short rememberance speeches about Richard McLean highlighting his contribution not only to rifle shooting but also to duck/wing shooting and his participation in the recruiting and coaching of new shooters.

And Enfielders will be pleased to note that the once despised and derided L8 (No.4 in 7.62 cal in 'issue' condition) again came good and top scored, not only for service rifles but beating the 'target' or modified rifles, range rifles, mausers, springfields etc etc. One noted shooter of a Springfield had to borrow a No.4 Lee Enfield when he lost his Springfield floor plate/ magazine in the long grass somewhere.... :)

The day was hot and steamy, with little wind.(v. Unusual for Lang Lang)....and hordes of mosquitoes that rivalled in size those that are found pre-dawn at Camp Perry....interestingly enough no wind flags had been put out by the 'locals'...perhaps they knew something....or just wanted to make us SSAA deadbeats work harder..... :)

The days events went off without a hitch....trophies were presented by Allan, a survivor of the El Alamein battle...and we left with a resolve to continue Richards good work and keep this shoot going and to maintain the spirit of co-operation between SSAA and VRA.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts