Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to visiting Rome for a couple of weeks this summer and was curious to know if any of you guys could recommend a few good militaria shops and historical sites (not the obvious ones) to visit. I'm not an overly experienced traveler (first time out of the country) so advice is also appreciated if anyone has any! As anyone can see I'm an Italian history nut and hope to see some Regio Esercito related sites if possible.

thanks!

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
If you can go to Terni (North east of Rome, an hour or so,) the FAET Museum at the Factory.( only serious collection of Sniper M91s anywhere...a wall full). Most of the Carcano and trials Prototypes are at the Citadelle Museum in Turin.
When in Rome, Porta Pia--Bersaglieri Museum ( Commemorating the Breach in the Walls,charged and carried by the B, and causing Rome (Papal States) to fall to the Italian Kingdom; 20 September, 1870.

In the Militaria shops ( and gun stores) the Prices are exhorbitant, and "Fakes/Replicas are common, as are "Restored" (Polished/reblued/sanded restamped) rifles etc....especially if you are a US tourist...they can see you coming...

Better to enjoy the food, the Ladies, etc, but beware the Shysters, Pickpockets, and Bg snatchers.

Doc AV
( from Northern Italy and Down Under.)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,187 Posts
When I was there the only place I found anything reasonable was when I visited the flea markets. You have to take precautions because of pick pockets, etc. (have a false wallet - hide your money). In Rome there was the Porta Portese flea market which is only open on Sundays. This place is wild! If someone stole your luggage at the airport it might well be for sale in Porta Portese. After walking around for a while I managed to find some military relics for sale at ok prices. In several flea markets around Italy I met several Russians selling war relics. They often had a mix of good stuff and fakes, mostly fakes and new items. But you never know....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Porta Portese sounds a lot like the Forcella flea market in Naples; I knew a guy (an American) who found what he swore was a genuine U.S. civil war horse saddle there! Yes, beware of pickpockets, shysters, hustlers, low-lifes, and assorted other disreputable characters in places like that in big cities in Italy. And, to reiterate what DocAV said, enjoy the stunning women and the incomparable food. That aside, I went to high school in Connecticut way back in the mid-Fifties with a Pascucci; any possibility that you are related? Ralph

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't hesitate to drive, as drivers and traffic are very polite and predictable. Rent a car or scooter, or even better buy a scooter and resell it before you leave -- one can make a deal with the seller at purchase, and you'll expand your opportunities five-fold, if you're not afraid to be bold in your riding style! Pickpockets and other scum are in any city anywhere in the world where you're identified as a tourist -- learn how to not look like one! Same with women, beautiful ones are in any country one travels, learn how to pick the 'nice' ones and you'll have a ball (sic)!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.