Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Diamond Member
7,656 Posts
The Hoppe's brushes I pick up at Wally World are for .30 to .32 caliber. They will do 2 to 3 aggressive cleanings on my 93 Turks, Then a couple on the .30 cals, then they are good only for patch holders. Using Romy corrosive requires a brush to get the **** out. I use a soapy swab at the range when done shooting, but it won't budge the ****. I don't use Hoppes #9, but am trying to get the new #9 as it's designed for corrosive ammo.
I haven't heard any thing about the new #9 yet. Denny

· Banned
10,365 Posts
The original Hoppes #9 is designed for corrosive ammo also. It says so right on the bottle.
Yep, what he said. Hoppes hasn't changed is 100 something years, remember that long ago they didn't have non corrosive.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Like Ted, I prefer to just use patches and swabs to clean out my rifles. Fortunately (or not so, however you see it) I only have a very small clutch of rifles, so I don't have any that don't receive regular care and upkeep. So, when I shoot them, I just clean with solvent-soaked swabs and patch until they're clean, then another patch of RiG to preserve.

Copper solvents used in rifle/pistol cleaners will eat up bronze brushes. I use them from time to time, but mostly for neck-cleaning for my reloads.

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Babba, it sounds to me as if you're using the brush to scrub the bore while you have the Hoppe's #9 in the barrel.

Personally, I never do that. I use the brush to scrub the dry barrel a couple of times first, then switch to a cleaning patch and Hoppe's #9. After the Hoppe's has done its copper-removal thing, I swab the barrel dry then use cleaning patches and CLP to get out the carbon. I end up by running a CLP-damp patch once through the barrel to protect the bore. No Hoppe's ever touches the bronze brush at all.

· Silver Bullet member
32,052 Posts
Also, do you usually clean your bore brush afterwards for storage?

Also, if there is a product that doesn't eat brushes but cleans effectively, please let me know. Should I not use solvents for every cleaning?
Wow, lots of opinions out there, here is yet another one....

I really really REALLY like the surplus Swiss STG-57 cleaning kits. The brushes are amazingly substantial, and with multiple kits one can make any size cleaning rod they like (though I tend to stick with Dewey coated for pushing patches).

Yes, I clean my brushes afterwards, there is a product called "Orange Blast" that is citrus-based and will clean the heck out of anything! Its also a good degreaser. Anyway, I spray the patches until most of the crud is gone, then rinse with very hot tap water.

One product I have not seen mentioned yet is MPro7 cleaner. Since I live in a townhouse I like it because its non-toxic, odorless, and does a pretty good job cleaning bores. Lately I have gotten into the foaming stuff a bit more, but I think it really needs a pre-cleaning to work most effectively

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.