Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much mileage do you average out of a bronze phosphor bore brush? I know they're only about $2 but mine are typically worn (bristles shorten dramatically) after 3 cleanings. This seems a little excessive to me and I wanted to make sure it was common.

Is the solvent eating away at them?

Hope this is in the right forum.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I use foaming bore cleaner and Hoppes 9 and I am using the proper brush size for the rifles. How can I avoid this problem? Only scrub a bore with gun oil and only prior to applying the solvent? If anyone has a cleaning "procedure" that might be useful, I'm all ears. I typically scrub a little, apply solvent, run a few patches, look, scrub, apply solvent, patch, etc.

Also, do you usually clean your bore brush afterwards for storage?

I know these are stupid questions, but I got into guns on my own and nobody ever taught me the basics on this stuff. I've been doing my own thing for the last 3 years. Tonight I was looking at three nubby 7.62 brushes that look more like .22 brushes and realized I should probably ask the experts.

Also, if there is a product that doesn't eat brushes but cleans effectively, please let me know. Should I not use solvents for every cleaning?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.