Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a line on a MAK90 that needs a "little" work. Wondering how cheap to go with my offer, as I am not sure of the current value on these things.

It has 0% finish remaining, and some pretty good etching/pitting on most of the receiver and dust cover. Somone beadblasted it to get the worst of the rust off and left it a matte silver The thumbhole stock is broken and unusable but the good news is that it's a straight-cut receiver so a new stock is no problem. All the small parts are present, in a baggie, though mostly rusty.

The serial numbers all match. It's marked "MAK 90 SPORTER" and "NORINCO" on the left side of the receiver. It has the correct legal number of rivets and holes. No threads on the muzzle of course, or bayonet lug, and the FSB is not drilled for a detent.

The bore looks perfect except for a slight ring just past the gas port. I have a Mosin rifle with a worse barrel ring, and it shoots fine, so I'm assuming this will be no big deal as far as function or safety... right? I could always replace the barrel but I don't know how easy that will be given the thicker receiver.

So, what do you guys think -- $50? $75? How high is too high for a "project" like this? Best case scenario, it needs a cleaning, refinish, and new stock set (and US compliance parts). I can do that work myself so I'd just be looking at the cost of the parts. A working AKM is something I could use as I had to leave my Yugo UF at home when I moved to Michigan but accidentally brought all my mags and ammo with me.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Hey Skywarp,
Well, in the condition it's in, i'd like to pay 75 bucks or less...But, it's a straight cut receiver, AND it's still a Chinese AK.
100 bucks tops, just because of that. Clean it up, add a new buttstock and spray it with a flat black hi-heat paint.
"Blaster" AK for under 150 bucks.
usrifle

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,874 Posts
My only worry is if it could of been in a fire, the barrel ring will not help accuracy and keep in mind chinese barrels start around the $150 range...They replace as easy as any so that's not much of a worry. I'd say $75 is on the high side fair IMO, $50 is better :) .

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
Khyber Pass candidate.minute of torso accuracy. Sort of a "rat gun" to go with a "rat bike." Be creative..one of a kind..not just another MAK90!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, stamped square-cut receiver. I suppose if I can get it, the first step would be to run a few mags through it and make sure it works before investing much in it.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
High heat engine enamel. It will take standard AK stamped furniture if you shave off a bit from each side of the stock to narrow it for the 1.6 receiver. You will have a fun piece that you can abuse and neglect because someone else already did it for you. I love my ugly duckling guns like that because they actually get used and not fretted over a little scratch.

I was using Wheeler Engineering Ceramacoat, which is a nuice bake on epoxy based coating. It is tough as nails on guns and moving parts. Just now doing some experimentation on using the High-Heat enamel on mags and parts. I will bake them to cure as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,943 Posts
if abused that much in the time its been use if it shoots its a trunk gun no more invested except the heat enamal paint.<><dk

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
That is the beauty of the design of these things(AKs, and especially Chinese). Look at the Somali Pirate gun confiscated where the pic bounced around on here for a few weeks. What a beast, but it will still run and fire. I don't believe Somalis are world-class marksmen, anyway. When my father was in the navy in the late '50's, the somalis would try to paddle their little dinghys up to the destroyers and stow away. Dad and his buddies would drop chunks of scrap metal and gear castings down on them, the pieces going right through the boat. He said it was the funniest thing in the world to watch the skinnies try to paddle as fast as they could before their boat sank in harbor...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
When my father was in the navy in the late '50's, the somalis would try to paddle their little dinghys up to the destroyers and stow away. Dad and his buddies would drop chunks of scrap metal and gear castings down on them, the pieces going right through the boat. He said it was the funniest thing in the world to watch the skinnies try to paddle as fast as they could before their boat sank in harbor...
Ya know, that really shouldn't be funny...but it is :laugh:.

Keith

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I wouldn't paint it, just get it functional and have fun with it. I would think that $75.00 would be a very nice price for it, and I would probably be willing to give more for it if it is functional.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I had a chinese ak with a ring in the near exact same spot and it shot great/accurate at 200 meters, and the only problem it seems that the slightly bulged barrel put some torsion on the front sight base and I had trouble adjusting for windage, I mean, I had to use a three pound brass head hammer and a large brass drift to get things moving, steadied on a good tree stump for the operation.
Had other rifles in similar condition, bought at reduced prices, but the way I see it, the bores are chrome lined and harder, and any bulge from a former squibb round stayed in that general spot, not spreading forward like I saw in a damaged 270 pencil thin bore I saw on a "project rifle" for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts