Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, this is mine. This is a Good to Very Good grade. It should be an excellent shooter for many years to come. I really like it. Thanks for looking, John.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More...

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
The barrel is probably original, I believe. The 4.7-4.8 range used them. You've got a nice Inland stock and a nice early Inland trigger group. I'd keep that trigger group together. The slide should have marks on it too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The barrel is probably original, I believe. The 4.7-4.8 range used them. You've got a nice Inland stock and a nice early Inland trigger group. I'd keep that trigger group together. The slide should have marks on it too.
Sorry, I thought I included that.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Very, very nice and even better that you like it!

My NPM will be here tomorrow, I may want to swap you out of that NPM Type 1 band and the NPM hammer....ahem....;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very, very nice and even better that you like it!

My NPM will be here tomorrow, I may want to swap you out of that NPM Type 1 band and the NPM hammer....ahem....;)
I find it interesting that I have bought two M1 Carbines this week and they both have push button safety's and dog leg hammers. Especially since I am flying blind as I have no idea what I am doing. Lol

·
Administrator
3,007 Posts
Looks like a nice one John!

Buy books before you buy guns! (not that I always follow my own advice :D )

·
Gold Bullet member
1,474 Posts
Congratulations John.
Now you have a challenge, to find early barreled receivers for your early trigger groups and later trigger groups for the later barreled receivers. Once you jump into the pool you will learn to swim. 😊

Chuck.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Condition is commensurate with advertising. Don't worry about which part goes with which maker. It is 100% correct just as you received it.
Yes, that is my attitude. I understand and appreciate that the US weapons collectors want their weapons correct. I started out collecting Finnish Mosins. They are the sum of parts made from different time frames and are now correct as issued. So, I am going to leave both of my carbines as is and enjoy them. I have ammo coming today so I plan on shooting at least one of them Sunday. Thank you everyone for the information and advice. John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Meh. With your early trigger group the trigger pull is higher. Yours has the 22 coil hammer spring and dogleg which both were replaced with a 26 coil and a straight hammer, making pull lessened. DON'T CHANGE ANY PARTS IN THE GROUP EVER. But swapping out the complete group isn't a problem. That trigger group deserves to stay original for the rest of it's existence. Some loser will come along and try to buy a part out of it. Call him a degenerate and give him the back of your hand.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hammer strikes. Here's how you tell if your trigger group is original to the type of hammer in it. Note one has 1 indention and the other has two. Doglegs and straight hammers hit in a different location. A dogleg hammer group should never be altered if it's original. Similarly for a matching straight hammer group.
Dogleg strike on an IP Carbine.

Both hammer strikes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hammer strikes. Here's how you tell if your trigger group is original to the type of hammer in it. Note one has 1 indention and the other has two. Doglegs and straight hammers hit in a different location. A dogleg hammer group should never be altered if it's original. Similarly for a matching straight hammer group.
Dogleg strike on an IP Carbine.
View attachment 3841068

Both hammer strikes.
View attachment 3841069
I will look tonight if I have time. Thank you for explaining it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can see the farther away one has Parkerizing on it showing it was done during rebuild. If anyone got a Midway Carbine with that Parking showing, then your carbine trigger housing at least went through rebuild.

If you look REALLY closely at my dogleg picture on top you might think you see a teeny line where a straight hammer once was hitting the housing rail. 🧐 You're imaging things. :sneaky::whistle:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Meh. With your early trigger group the trigger pull is higher. Yours has the 22 coil hammer spring and dogleg which both were replaced with a 26 coil and a straight hammer, making pull lessened. DON'T CHANGE ANY PARTS IN THE GROUP EVER. But swapping out the complete group isn't a problem. That trigger group deserves to stay original for the rest of it's existence. Some loser will come along and try to buy a part out of it. Call him a degenerate and give him the back of your hand.
I posted a hammer strike picture.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts