Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice FTR'd No4 Mk1. However, the rear micrometer sight won't lay flat all the way. Seems the round dial adjustment wheel is hitting something in the area milled out on the bridge.

Any ideas why this is happening? Figured all of these were interchangeable.

It's just a bit shy of laying flat, but enough to partially obscure the sight picture due to the round adjustment dial.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Try cranking it up a bit from dead bottom and see if she lays flat.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah, you mean to relieve upward pressure on the dial from having the aperture all the way down.

Thanks, devildog. Good idea. You must be infantry!

BTW, just finished reading "Colder Than Hell" by Joseph Owen. It's his story of his company in Korea. Very good reading and he tells it like it was. I did my AT in the ROK last month, so it was very interesting for me.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
You must be infantry!
Heaven forbid! :eek: ;)

...just old Huey ballast...got the bad back and fear of heights to prove it. :( :D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Rumor has it that the ROK can get a bit chilly from time to time. :D

My granddad (my avatar) was the only grunt in the family. He was in France with 2/5 in 1917-18.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
rear sight

If you look at the cutout on the bridge that is supposed to bed the sight wheel, you will see that half this area is made out of the receiver forging and half is made out of the separate (permanently attached) actual bridge insert. I do not know if it is supposed to be an original design feature, but the rounded area for the sight wheel sometimes has a small ridge that will catch the serrations on the sight and keep it from moving. Yours may have the ridge too tall or an error in machining the rounded scoop out. The 2 part nature of the receiver in this area does not help tight tolerances. If this is a wartime rifle it was probably issued with the Mk 2 sight originally and they may not have gauged for perfect fit of a Mk 1 on manufacture. I have seen all sorts of odd factory screw ups on original new wartime rifles, including unfitted magazines (not latching), front sight guard screws on rear trigger guard (too short and threaded into nothing), way excess firing pin protrusion even when the pin is all the way into the cocking piece, etc. I guess you can get a bit distracted going back to work after your house has been blown up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts