Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't own one or ever shot one. they don't seem popular. for the caliber there are better options. LCPs and Kel-tecs disappear into a pocket something the micro deagle cant do. for its size and weight I can go with a Kahr PM9 and have better fire power.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I own the Kel-Tec P3AT and a guy at the club owns the MDE so we did a bit of a comparison of them. The MDE is slightly larger and heavier, which tended to help slightly in recoil, but since the .380 even in a pistol the size of the P3AT is not bad I did not consider this a large positive. Some others may however if they are recoil sensitive which is why he picked it over other similar sized options.

The slightly bulkier MDE was not as "hideable" as it tended to sag the pants pocket more in the manner of a larger pocket revolver and it tended to fall backwards in the pocket making retreval without a holster slower, especially in tighter jeans. A good pocket holster would be needed we both agreed where the P3ATs pocket clip makes it able to be used without one if you wish with the pistol positioned right at the top of the pocket for easy retrieval. The smaller thinner size and weight also makes for a pistol which can be carried in a suit or suit vest pocket with little to no notice, the MDE would be too heavy and print too much for such carry.

The MDE certainly feels more like a substantial pistol, it is steel and well built, so this may well be important to some. I willl admit to a slight bit of work on the trigger and serrated backstrap of my PT3At with a small needle file to remove rough sharp uncomfortable edges on both, the MDE needed no such work I was told. The trigger felt heavier and rougher to me than my P3AT but mine had had more rounds though it so it may have smoothed out more by the time of the test .

As far as reliablity, speed shooting, and accuracy at close range, which is all we tested as they are both belly guns, it was basically a tie. Each shooter shot his own best, so familiarity with the arm makes the only difference it seemed.

In the end we both agreed that it depends upon what you like and expect. The MDE is larger and heavier making for a more substantial firearm. The KEl-Tec is small, thinner, and lighter making for more of a true hideout gun for all types of clothing.

If we both had to make a choice again for a small deep cover pistol we both decided we would make the same choice, lol, depends upon what you want and need.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't own one or ever shot one. they don't seem popular. for the caliber there are better options. LCPs and Kel-tecs disappear into a pocket something the micro deagle cant do. for its size and weight I can go with a Kahr PM9 and have better fire power.
The MDE was only released in 2007 so it's still a relatively new entry to the pocket pistol market. The weight is ~13oz heavier than the LCP, but the size?

Thanks for the range report, lee1959. I never really liked the plastic-framed subcompacts. And I don't think I'd ever carry without a holster. So I'm going to keep the MDE under consideration.

Anybody else own, or at least handled a MDE?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
When I say larger I did not mean in all aspects, some were close, I dont remember if it was shorter or longer, but the frame size is thicker on the MDE, making it feel bulkier, "chunkier" especially with the grip panels which the P3At does not have being a polymer design. If you look real close you can kind of tell what I mean.

Neither is as large as say one of those old .45 Derringers which were long considered a hideout piece. I would not feel underarmed with it in the least. The difference in weight does make a difference, but like I said it is also less recoil producing also. I would buy the MDE in a second if you like it better, the guy at the range loves his and he chose it over a NAA Guardian which he compared it to in the choice, wanting a steel model instead of polymer.

I have never been huge on plastic framed pistols myself, until I owned and shot the P3AT. I only have owned one other a .45 acp Witness which also surprised me that I liked. I think it likely you could put more rounds through a MDE over time, but I doubt I would put that many through either, they are not pistols you shoot for fun, just practice, certainly not enough to make either fail.

·
Banned
3,414 Posts
Had one-nice gun,it's a copy of the Czechoslovakian "Mike" I think it was called in 9X18 mak so that accounts for the size,but one thing you should note.....

Those pics above? the one where you're looking at it from the top? see those holes in the barrel? those are gas ports to help slow the slide down,and I can tell you you don't want to point them at anything sensitive,I fired it from a "draw,rotate,and shoot" and while it's not bad you still notice some stuff come flying up at your face,but if for any reason you were to fire it so that the ejection port is pointed at your face at close range-it might hurt.

Now they are angled foreward to direct the blast at the slide so as to slow it down as I said,but you can still get some if you get it aimed at you.

Other then that the only thing I really didn't like was the trigger is grooved,and thin,so it'll chew a hole in you rather quick if you shoot a lot,if I had kept it I would have got them ground off.

On the plus side recoil is nothing,and it is accurate-I could hit fairly well at 15 yards (not one hole groups,but enough hits to make somebody's day suck)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had one-nice gun,it's a copy of the Czechoslovakian "Mike" I think it was called in 9X18 mak so that accounts for the size,but one thing you should note.....

Those pics above? the one where you're looking at it from the top? see those holes in the barrel? those are gas ports to help slow the slide down,and I can tell you you don't want to point them at anything sensitive,I fired it from a "draw,rotate,and shoot" and while it's not bad you still notice some stuff come flying up at your face,but if for any reason you were to fire it so that the ejection port is pointed at your face at close range-it might hurt.

Now they are angled foreward to direct the blast at the slide so as to slow it down as I said,but you can still get some if you get it aimed at you.
It's a copy of the ZVI "Kevin" (which is also my first name). Thanks for explaining the ports a little more. I saw them in the pic and assumed that's what the mfgr. meant by "gas-retarded blowback" or whatever they call it.

mr44: Like I alluded to, I have my reasons for not choosing a KT. And the way the trigger works is one of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.