Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to remove and replace the oil tubes inside the grips on an MG08 spade grip assy. What is the best/safest way to do this as the bottom screws seem REALLY tight. I have soaked them with penetrating oil. What is the best tool to use without damaging the screws or spades?

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
A really wide screw driver... I have done this but its not easy. Really a two person job. Might try the tip of the Russian 1910 general tool. It may fit. I have always had trouble with these and the screw on the waterjackets for the steam tube on 08/15s.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
A word to the wise: never use taper sided screw drivers on gun screws. I know it is inconvenient to buy flat sided gun screwdrivers, but they are essential to prevent the blade from slipping and/or buggering the screw slot especially with tight screws and large screws. We have all seen this and done it ourselves, so google up some good gunsmith screwdrivers, which are not very expensive and using them will give you a nice feeling of doing it right! And you will always use them.
The large screw slots on Maxims, Vickers and BMGs, especially with the brass parts really require a tight fitting flat sided screwdriver or special blade with a hex shank or similar to generate torque with a ratchet or adjustable wrench.
The grip screws on the Maxims can be very tight as Matt notes above, so fabricate or have fabricated of decent carbon content steel a flat blade tht just fits ianto the slot with a shank on it for a wrench. Anchor the grip assembly by the sides of the back plate in a good, well secured vise using protective shields in the jaws so you can tighten the vise securely and not damage the metal. Do NOT ask someone to hold it for you!! Secure it. Make sure the blade is squarely in and on the axis of the handle and apply torque slowly making sure that the tool does not go off axis. sometimes, the first torque applied to tighten the screw, not loosen it, will yield some movement. Torque in short bursts with more pressure until you feel the screw loosen perceptibly.
Although it is a bit risky and takes great care, if needed, the bottom of the handle metal can be heated with a small torch but only to raise the temp and expand the metal slightly without beginning to char the wood, of course. Let the metal cool a bit after doing this before torquing again.
They will come out. FWIW

Bob Naess

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... As much work as we end up doing on these old guns I guess it does make sense to get some proper tools. This still sounds like it is going to be difficult, even with proper tools! Thanks again and I'll report back if successful...

·
Registered
463 Posts
... so fabricate or have fabricated of decent carbon content steel a flat blade tht just fits ianto the slot with a shank on it for a wrench.
I would like to get some fabricated. Any suggestion for a place that does this?

I have found screw drivers rarely are anywhere close. Actually the largers blades I have found are from my GunSmith style screw driver set. Yeah Sears has larger screwdrivers but the tips narrow at the blade anyway, so the flat sided have worked better anyway. The problem I always have is the steam tube on the 08/15. Its so hard to get to and I just have nothing that fits it real well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts