Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oh, OK, here we go............

First thing you got to do is prove that it is MG ammo.
Simply being belted is not enough.
Even being boxed up in a package labeled "For MG use" doesn't really prove anything, except that the packaging of the rounds might have been for a specific model MG.
Think about this for a minute, why would any military burden their supply system with a type of ammo that would not work in all issue small arms of that caliber?

Bear in mind that each country has their own ideas as to what is the proper load for any given caliber.
IIRC, the 9mm pistol ammo from Nordic countries was loaded to function in extreme cold, you shoot that stuff on a 80 degree (F) day in Arizona and you might have an issue.

Others will be along to provide more examples and admonitions that there is no MG specific ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
840 Posts
The only ones I know of is some hot 8mm thats for bolt action rifles only and some 12.7 thats only for the dshk.
Can you be specific about what cartridge and what country.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,646 Posts
French 30-06. Wondering is they made it for MGs
The French 30-06 is M2 ball equivalent ammo.
It is safe to shoot in a M1 Garand rifle, so it is safe for anything chambered in 30-06.
Yes, the French used it in Browning and FN machine guns, but it still is M2 ball ammo.
That all said, the stuff is corrosive as heck, and the brass tends to be hard, thus brittle.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
French 30-06. Wondering is they made it for MGs
French milsurp ammo is notoriously very corrosive and I won't use it in anything. But to answer your question, no, it was made/loaded for both rifles and MGs. I would however counsel avoiding using it in any semi or full auto that does not have an easily accessible gas system that can't be cleaned quickly and completely.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The only ones I know of is some hot 8mm thats for bolt action rifles only and some 12.7 thats only for the dshk.
Can you be specific about what cartridge and what country.
Yes but that is just Turkish made 7.9mm, loaded hot with a very slow burning powder, not suitable for semi-auto due to the incorrect pressure curve caused by the slow powder.
As for the 12.7 stuff, I don't know of any small arms chambered in that caliber, not saying that there aren't any, just that I'm unaware.

That 9mm mentioned is the stuff I was thinking of.
Pretty sure it was loaded that hot to account for the cold when trying to run a sub gun.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes but that is just Turkish made 7.9mm, loaded hot with a very slow burning powder, not suitable for semi-auto due to the incorrect pressure curve caused by the slow powder.
Except its "not" loaded with a slow burning powder. It's actually rather fast.

Its completely fine for semiautos PROVIDED you first put the powder and projos in NEW brass...as the turk brass much like the French brass is brittle and can fail.

Once in new brass it's perfectly fine in semis/gasguns

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
1950s French 30-06 isn’t “machine gun ammo”, but I would NOT shoot it in ANY rifle!

Why?...because it is crap ammo. Case head failures etc, just not good stuff, PERIOD.

Now GEVOLET 1980s contract 30-06 is French, and corrosive, but good safe shooting stuff.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
As for the 12.7 stuff, I don't know of any small arms chambered in that caliber, not saying that there aren't any, just that I'm unaware.

That 9mm mentioned is the stuff I was thinking of.
Pretty sure it was loaded that hot to account for the cold when trying to run a sub gun.

Doesn't Magnum Research make a revolver ?......... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.