Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know anything about these? I picked up an oddball stock (can't resist something odd) from the bin in the local shop. They though it was a Persian Carbine stock, but from what I can tell it is for the Mexican or Yugolsavian FN M1924 Carbine ordered by the City of Nish. Has provision for the carbine clip on the right side of the butt and the two very close band springs at the end of the muzzle, no bayonet provision.

Stock only... unfortunately. Probably not much chance of filling it out...

Can't find much about it. Any info appreciated. Can post pic if anyone cares to see it.

- Best regards! Mike

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Anyone know anything about these? I picked up an oddball stock (can't resist something odd) from the bin in the local shop. They though it was a Persian Carbine stock, but from what I can tell it is most definitely for the Yugolsavian FN M24 Carbine ordered by the City of Nish.

Stock only... unfortunately. Probably not much chance of filling it out...

Can't find much about it. Any info appreciated. Can post pic if anyone cares to see it.
- Best regards! Mike
"City of Nish"??? What indicates that??? Never heard the like.
Yeah. I'd sure like to see pics. :)

Wait a minute. You said "Mexican/Yugoslav FN M1924 Mauser Carbine " in the heading. We're talking different critters here. The "Mexican model 1912" was made into the "M1924b." A 1924 "Carbine" was a model 1924 rifle rigged with an additional sling swivel. In Yugo nomenclature, it was the additional sling arrangement that made it a "carbine," there was no difference in length. The carbines were also configured later. The FN rifles were the first ordfer in Yugo inventory before they made their own.

Now some questions. What makes you think it Yugo? Is there a cartouche mark in the center of the buttstock?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nish

It's a Yugo. stock. Bogdanovich's book mentions such rifles(1924) being produced as police weapons for the city of Nish. I would hang onto that stock. R. Ball's book may have something about it, too. Jim

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Jim, northernug -

Here's a photo. Damnedest little thing! Yup, Ball's book has two photos of it. One under SerbiaYugoslavia, as the FN Model 1924 City of Nish Generarmerie Carbine, and there is another under Mexico, the FN Model 1924 carbine (photo pp. 155). It does have a provision for a turned down bolt, but it looks to possibly be added later. These seem to be distinct with the carbine clip on the side of the butt. SN 170 behind the clip mortises and there was some writing over the crossbolt that looks almost cryllic. No provision for a bayonet. So I am puzzled!

Olson doesn't mention it and Walters only mentions it under the FN Model 1924 Carbine exports as a very small quantity made. Haven't had any luck finding anything on the web about it. Sure would like to know where the metal went! That may be the only way to id it for sure. You know, it is in pretty good shape and a neat little piece. Fellow at the shop suggested making a spotting scope out of it.

Any more info appreciated. Now..., off to try the photo manager!!

- Mike

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
It's a Yugo. stock. Bogdanovich's book mentions such rifles(1924) being produced as police weapons for the city of Nish. I would hang onto that stock. R. Ball's book may have something about it, too. Jim
Enlighten me here please. I ran a search through Branko's book and found only 3 references to Nish. A search for "gendarmerie" turned up several references but nothing connected with "Nish." None had anything to do with either the M1924b rifles or M1924 carbines or I missed it if it did.

Finally I just ran through the book and found not one thing that looked like that stock. Unless I'm looking at it wrong, the front barrel band spring is aft of the band. Also it appeared to have a swivel attached to the right side of the butt by two screws. I see nothing in Branko's book with either of these features.
Can you tell me where to find what you're describing?

As for Ball's book I only have the first edition and it's Serb/Yugo section is horribly flawed.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Nug,
The City of Nish carbine (# 15) in pictured in all editions of MMRotW. It is a clearly-marked FN-made M.1924 police style carbine from the collection of Noel Schott. Its receiver ring is clearly marked in Slavic to the Nish Gendarmerie. Branko does not even recognise these at all...no doubt leaving his book "horribly flawed"?

Regarding the stock in MikeS's picture above, it is almost certainly an FN carbine stock, but it is impossible to tell who it was made for since we have no information on stock markings or numbers, or receiver length...which would tell us if it were an M.1924 or an M.1930. In any case, the presence of the bolt handle notch is the most unusual characteristic of the stock and is very likely not a factory-original feature. The factory configuration of FN carbine bolt handles, whether bent (like the Mexican, Chinese, Peruvian, Venezuelan, Dutch etc) or straight, (like the Yugoslav Sokol carbines) was such that they could be mounted in a plain stock without a notch. This stock not only has a notch but it is for a swept-back bolt handle. IMHO, this stock was bubbalated before being consigned to the bin.
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi John -

I'm sure you're right on the notch. The only (production) markings on the stock are an 'H' on the crossbolt, a 'JB' in the tg recess and another unreadable stamp in the receiver recess.

Now, what to do with it!! :confused::eek:

- Best regards! Mike

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Hi John. We each have our loyalties. I have great respect for Ball's work. The catalogging of these rifles in their myriad configurations is a most daunting task exasperated by an ever changing and increasing pool of knowledge. They are high quality publications and as a result, not cheap.
You'll note I specified having only the 1st edition which has long since been eclipsed by new knowledge. I also specified the Serbian section of that book which is flawed and you know it is. That's why I, wrongly, didn't even look at it. That and John Goodman had suggested the reference was in Branko's work and I sure couldn't find it there. (I see his comment above.)

As for Branko's work, yes, it has errors and many ommissions. But it is not so sweeping or all inclusive a work as Ball's books, rather, more of an overview. So I would not suggest it was "horribly" flawed.

Concerning the stock, I completely agree with your comments. Please note above, I didn't say flatly it was "wrong" but asked for clarification not being familiar with it. You have provided that.

Finally, please believe I have only the greatest respect for you and your vast knowldge and experience in handling these rifles. It is no problem conceding it greatly and far exceeds my own as I have publicly stated on numerous occaissions.
Regards.
Jim

Nug,
The City of Nish carbine (# 15) in pictured in all editions of MMRotW. It is a clearly-marked FN-made M.1924 police style carbine from the collection of Noel Schott. Its receiver ring is clearly marked in Slavic to the Nish Gendarmerie. Branko does not even recognise these at all...no doubt leaving his book "horribly flawed"?
Regards,
John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts