Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi John,
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, it is a beauty isn't it! It appears to be covered with grime and dirt which has almost baked onto the rifle over the years, showing every sign of having been hung on a wall or s similar spot, exposed to environmental dirt, humidity and the like. The sling swivels are frozen in place. The receiver crest, proof and acceptance marks and all serial numbers were very difficult to read because the marks had filled with hardened dirt. I'm still woking on removing this grit with light solvents, a cloth and toothbrush. The stocks has/had heavy, blackened spots at the grasping areas. It reminds me 100% of the old rusty groady Gewehr 98's we see that came out of VFW and American Legion halls all over the country. I would not at all be surprised if this was one of the 60-70,000 WW I rifles (and artillery etc) that the Army brought home in 1923 through the port of Newark NJ. But we'll never know for sure I guess.

The bolt unfortunately is mismatched although it is a proper Mexican sunburst-marked M1912 bolt. Every other component including the stock does still match. The bore and crown are still in very good condition too.
Regards,
John

· Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,684 Posts
Hi John,

Nice find Bud! The Mexican, Chilean and Columbian M1912 Steyr's as issued in Austro-Hungarian service are extremely rare, as I'm sure you know. Rarer still are unit marked rifles. You do realize that now you have forced me to add flipping all of the marking discs on the examples I have in my collection, as if I don't already have enough to do when I arrive home in mid December!

If nobody has provided you with the info you are looking for by then, I'll go through my library and dig you up some info the 91st Landsturm. If I can't find anything there, I'll contact my sources in Austria and Italy.

Great find John! As much as I would like to be extremely jealous, I'm prevented from doing so by knowing that this rifle could not possibly be owned by a finer Gentleman than yourself. It will receive the proper care and attention required to save it's historic value for the next generation.

Warmest regards,

JPS

PS - It took buying replacement fans in the US and then DHL'ing them to China to pull it off, but my laptop is finally resurrected!.......HIP HIP!.......HOOOUUURAY!!!!!

· Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,
I can't thank you enough for your generous offer of help and your kind words! And welcome back to connectivity. I'll bet that those laptop fans you had DHL'd to you were made in China!
Regards,
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.