Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been through now, for a few days. And I still cannot quite believe it.

Browsing through the entire Second Forum was a truly remarkable experience. A very sustantial, condensed and concentrated learning experience foremost, but also in a way a humbling experience.
The standards of this specific forum are high and austere. In other fora (including the Italian Firearms forum that I used and truly liked to moderate in the past, when the USA were a different nation from what they are today), the standards are wider or - if you will - lower. Both is licit, none is "better" than the other, let this be clearly said. But the attentive lecture of this forum has taught me someting very important:
The value of attention. The value of carefully, attentively, perceptively, even painstakingly "reading" a gun. It is a patient appreciation and multi-layered analysis that is in a way comparable to the descriptive perusal, study and analysis of any wok of art (and no, I do not over-enthusuastically confuse a technical mass-product such as a military rifle with a unique object of art; but the principle is the same).

This board is not exactly an "easy" lecture, and the tone, while always helpful and collegial, is not as fuzzy as in some others (Dutch, just how often do you participate in curmudgeon contests? ;-) ). But being here sharpens one's look and one's perception. I have not exactly fallen off the turnip truck yesterday (come to to think, it was the day before yesterday....), but I have had the privilege to learn here immensely, and far beyond the narrow scope of Swedish Mausers. The standards, the sobriety, the attentiveness that one partakes in here, will reflect on every other field of your collecting.

That's why I feel glad - and, in a way, even honoured, though without much merit - to have been able to make a small contribution in conserving and transferring to posteriority a part of this collective heritage. I thank you all !

Yours,
Alexander Eichener (Carcano)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Alexander
I believe it is you that should be thanked. As it was no small job transferring all those post.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am looking back a bit now. Between the years is the traditionally allocated time for this. Nominally, I should be working, but no clients have called so far (thankfully), and no deadline expires today, and a long legal brief has already been dictated, so at least I have "sung for my supper".

The Swedish Military Firearms forum is one that had - at least I hope so - the essence of its previous postings (rom the Second Board) saved. There was a wealth of details and knowledge, as well as invaluable pictorial sources that would otherwise have been lost.

One may wonder why I of all people had presumed ("Quiscumque temerarie praesumpserit", as the Church's council decrees and canons used to formulate menacingly through the millenia) to endeavour this transfer. Especially since I only own three Swedish guns (in sequence of acquition: a sporter cioncersion Husqvarna m/96 type hunting rifle in 8x54 KJ from the late 1940s or early 1950s, a m/96-63 target rifle, and a m/94-14 carbine), all that a nothing in comparaison to the venerable and reverend collectors on this board.
The reason is trivially simple and humble:

1. Somebody just had to do the job (and indeed, other valuable sub-forums perished with most of their contents because nobody did it there), don't you think so?

2. Even if several volunteers collaborate, the more the better. I am glad that others participated in the reposting endeavours.

3. I wanted to gain some practical experience for the transfer of the Italian forum, which I formerly had moderated.

Has it worked? Have at least some of the more important postings been conserved for posteriority? I am not to judge, and the job is over now. As everybody will know who has ever mowed grass on his club's range, or officiated at matches ;-), the reward is not in the appreciation, but in the results. Same is true for moderators incidentally, but some find a quaint pleasure in drawing barbs, dontcha feel so, Dutchman? ;-P

I will probably now withdraw into semi-silence again. The emergency job is done which seemed to call me from retirement. And the conditions which made me emigrate remain as they were before; this forum is mainly a US-dominated forum, and Gilead remains as badly changed to the worse after 2001, as Germany after 1933. Enough of politicks, I am not going to discuss these, not even Swedish ones...

Regards to all, and keep your crown jewels,

Alexander ("Carcano")

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Two more years have passed. While Gunboards materially (as to its database of postings) remains the same, the latest version of the vBulletin software had wrought havoc in Christmas time over users and admins alike, and has necessitated countless unpaid extra hours by Vic and unnamed helpers, to change the situation from desastrous back to "halfway workable". I think they must be especially commended for undertaking and tackling this chore in our common interest. The boards are now closer to what they were before, which is good.

Looking back from now in a distance, two years later, Gunboards has, since its first version, slowly but continuously evolved and become richer and more comprehensive (anybody still remember the earlier various boards 5 or 7 years ago? such as the "Gunandknife" forums?). Gunboards' main asset are its stock of helpful members, and the search function which enables one to access the otherwise hidden treasures of knowledge, painstakingly and altruistically accumulated by so many here over the years.

The atmosphere and the outlook *inside* the boards has definitely changed to the worse. It probably needs a (non-US-based) outsider to assess and note this from the neutrality of distance. A few inept moderators (and no, of course I do not refer to our own esteemed team here; though I am eager to know whether our own and most loveable Dutch has finally and deservedly won one of the many curmudgeon contests in which he participates) have compounded to that and became part of the problem instead of the solution. The overall atmosphere in here has changed from an ambiance of good-natured comradeship and common interest (which united over the fractions of political, national and racial diversity) into hateful and divisive extremism, with sharp polarization. Insofar, the boards however are probably only a - sad - reflection of US society at large.

I will still post now and then, as a guest from the past. Revisiting old threads and adding to them is not only interesting for the new members who may not be aware of those past discussions that have already yielded answers to their questions; it is also rewarding for one who posts and refreshes his knowledge.

Best wishes to all former friends, and enjoy your crown jewels,

Alexander ("Carcano")

1 - 4 of 4 Posts