Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have completely tore down my WASR AK, and am re-doing it with a few new parts, and re-finishing the wood to make it look nice and the like.

Here's my issue. I can look at the front post on the sight, and see that it's crooked. I know you need some kind of tool, but I am not sure which one. Are there separate tools for left/right (windage I think it's called) and elevation, or do they come as one tool? I can find these tools if I know which one or pair of tools I need. I just want it to shoot straight, lol

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,084 Posts
Yes, you can go to gunbroker.com and search sks sight tool and you can buy one for as little as 5 bucks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it the SKS/AK have the same tool? I think I have seen these on cheaperthandirt.com and a few other gun parts websites.

·
Silver Bullet member
168 Posts
you may have canted front sight - which is common. The tool you are discussing will make windage and elevation adjustments but won't correct a crooked sight block. The pins would have to be driven out to fix that.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,360 Posts
Have you fired the rifle yet? If not, it is not advisable to make any adjustments until you see if it is zeroed. If it is canted that is another story and may need a trip back to the retailer. Determine that before you start to modify or refinish anything. A front sight adjusting tool is good to have in any case. Good for SKS or AK except Yugo because of thicker front sight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fired the rifle only a few times, and it it's just the little top post just looks like it it is a tinge off center, and i think a quick adjustment should fix this. If it is this canter problem, can a gunsmith fix it? I have a real good one who knows his stuff, if he thinks it's canter, is it doable for him to fix?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,528 Posts
If it's canted just a bit I wouldn't worry about it. There is a tool that will adjust your front sight, many places sell them.

You might also look at getting a RPK adjustable sight. That's the quickest easiest way to center the front sight post and not worry about it.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,931 Posts
AGAIN... repeating what akblue said, if you have fired the rifle, were the sights on or was it shooting to the left or right. you will be lucky if dead center of the sight post is dead center of the target. i hope you know that to move that post changes POI. where did you rifle shoot in relation to the bullseye with the sights like they are?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It shoots to the right, and I did not do it on a "real" range, just a paper target in a sand pit that I estimated to be about 100yds. As far as elevation, it's spot on, just shoots to the right,.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you do have a canted front sight block, it can be fixed rather easily. This is a good tutorial for straightening the front sight block: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

And, while you are at the site, read some of the other information on the left of the page. You will learn quite a bit about your Romanian WASR.

Also, like AKBLUE recommended you should get a windage/elevation tool. You can order one from http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?id=1a7b1e9a-dec6-4eb0-90be-b1e29b62794b. The picture shows the tool being used to adjust the windage on an AK.

·
Silver Bullet member
287 Posts
Front sight adjustment- If it shoots to the right, move it to the right, and vice versa

Rear sight adjustment- If it shoots to the right move it to the left, and vice versa

This works with any gun with normal sights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Site Adjuster

Sounds like you just need one of these:

We'vve found that the c-clamp style adjusters are not made well. Definately not tempered enough. If ya want a good set check Polytechparts.com, shopping cart and go to tools. They have a set there that has a t-handle for the front sight post and a pusher type tool for your windage adjustment. The best that youll ever see. One thing about 'em is that they don't screw up the finish on the front sight.All tempered steel and resonable, about $35.00 I beleive. Dad has a set of 'em and everyone has used them. I think the shipping is $7.99 or around $8.00. Well worth the coin compaired to the elcheapo c-clamp style especially when your front sight drum is very tight.Mad Max son of Madtechcool

·
Registered
840 Posts
We'vve found that the c-clamp style adjusters are not made well. Definately not tempered enough.

I've had my c clamp adjuster since the early 90's, it's made just fine. Works real well, never had an issue with it at all.

Maybe the news ones are sucky?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts