Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm "downsizing" so I thought I'd take the members on a little trip down Memory Lane...

When my dad passed away back in 2012, I had to clean out the house and we had a little trove of ammo that had lain pretty dormant for 40 years. Just like our firearms.

I had to get a LOT of stuff from Rosemont, Ontario down to where I live in Rhode Island. As I approached the border I got a bit nervous if the officers there might search my car...luckily they didn't...

Glasses Sunglasses Wood Eyewear Tool

It looks a bit like bits left over from a mis-spent youth!!

Things cost a bit less back then...

Rectangle Font Publication Signage Service

Rectangle Debit card Font Packaging and labeling Advertising

Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Gas

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This looks like it is from the 1980's...it'd probably the last ammo purchase I ever made. I had one of the little Spanish saddle ring carbines so I really liked the heavy bullets out of that short barrel...

Rectangle Font Material property Gas Magenta

Grey Font Material property Sleeve Carmine

I also had one of the BSA Viscounts in 7mm but I never got around to using it all that much...I still have about 120 rounds!!

Some really old 250-3000 from the 1940's that we had for a Savage Model99 (takedown) with those sweet little tang sights...

Wood Font Rectangle Office supplies Art

Wood Office supplies Office equipment Font Rectangle

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm really just hoping someone finds this interesting. The prices are a "blast from the past"; if nothing else.

I still have a full box of 6.5's because I never got around to using my old Swedish sniper rifle...it just sat in a gun safe for 50 years!!

Wood Font Audio equipment Office equipment Electronic device

These 250's are cool because of the packaging...

Font Wood Rectangle Publication Label

Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque Wood Public utility

Motor vehicle Font Gas Natural material Signage

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being Canadian...I had a Savage made Lee-Enfield that I was lucky enough to get in unissued condition and I really used that and a Savage Model 24 combination gun (.22/20 gauge) more than anything else I had.

We would grab a No.5 Jungle carbine for canoe tripping during the summer but we always just gave them to someone at the end of the trip. I never liked them much. But I had a 5 round magazine I used to like to put in them as the 10 round box just seemed to stick out and hang up on things.

Road surface Asphalt Font Motor vehicle Rectangle

Font Commemorative plaque Signage Public utility Rectangle

Road surface Asphalt Font Grey Plant

Wood Font Match Office supplies Publication

So we had a bunch of pull-throughs...

Tool Gas Font Machine Auto part

·
Gold Bullet member
12,845 Posts
I'm really just hoping someone finds this interesting. The prices are a "blast from the past"; if nothing else.
Definitely interesting but then again I’m one of the guys who lived and enjoyed the good old days! The new kids on the block might not agree. ;)👍

Reactions: henrybucki

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
When my father passed. I found an ammo can in his basement, full of .303 British that he had loaded himself probably 30 years ago. He'd shoot a box then load seven. He loved the loading process more than shooting I think. Well, I took some of it to the range one day thinking most of it wouldn't fire. It was tarnished and had sat in his dank basement all that time. Well, every one of the 40 or so I fired went bang, and experienced no issues at all. It was fairly accurate too. I still have some of it. Since it was all soft nosed bullets, I use it during deer season when the mood strikes to carry one of my Enfields.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had 99's in 300 Savage, 30-30 and 250-3000...the 300 and the 250 were far more interesting than the 30-30. We had Winchester 94's in both 30-30 and .32 Special...and those weapons seemed better suited to the tamer rounds.

The 250 was the STAR!!! It came to us through the kindness of my mother's brother who had bought it as a companion to his visiting Sasabe, AZ...a LONG time ago. Anticipated longer shots at lighter game.

That rifle handled differently than any other rifle I have had experience with; it came up onto sight quite quickly and I always felt that I would land a good hit, more quickly, on whatever I was shooting at...good ergonomics (I guess???).

I also had never seen wounding so devastating when we used it, mostly on groundhogs. We shot at not over 100 yards and often there would just be a splashing of some bones and skin when we saw the kill.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We had 99's in 300 Savage, 30-30 and 250-3000...the 300 and the 250 were far more interesting than the 30-30. We had Winchester 94's in both 30-30 and .32 Special...and those weapons seemed better suited to the tamer rounds.

The 250 was the STAR!!! It came to us through the kindness of my mother's brother who had bought it as a companion to his visiting Sasabe, AZ...a LONG time ago. Anticipated longer shots at lighter game.

That rifle handled differently than any other rifle I have had experience with; it came up onto sight quite quickly and I always felt that I would land a good hit, more quickly, on whatever I was shooting at...good ergonomics (I guess???).

I also had never seen wounding so devastating when we used it, mostly on groundhogs. We shot at not over 100 yards and often there would just be a splashing of some bones and skin when we saw the kill.
The 99 Savage rifle is a surprisingly accurate sporting rifle…and like you say … it just shoulders right. I’ve shot some impressive groups with mine. I have two of them. A 1950’s era rifle in .300 Savage and the takedown in .250- I think it was made in the late teens… it’s fit and finish are superior to the later example I have.
The Old Dominion boxes you have are fantastic!
It reminds me of a buddy of mine that has passed on now…we used to shoot Model 1871 Mausers and we used Old Dominion ammo…they labeled it “43 Mauser”…same looking box that you have. Seeing them again brought back some good memories.
Thanks again for showing them.
RB

·
Registered
246 Posts
My go to cleaning kit was made in East Germany for their AK 47.
I can use the pull through easier than the rods, faster too as I don't have to screw it together.
I just have to be careful not to drag it over the muzzle. Easy enough as I will wrap a cloth around the nuzzle and let it take the rub.

Those are cool old boxes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My go to cleaning kit was made in East Germany for their AK 47.
I can use the pull through easier than the rods, faster too as I don't have to screw it together.
I just have to be careful not to drag it over the muzzle. Easy enough as I will wrap a cloth around the nuzzle and let it take the rub.

Those are cool old boxes.
Is it made of aluminum chain links, like a k98 or a G3 pull-through?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nylon cord. I have a couple of versions. Two are similar to the k98 tobacco can kits with two brushes, one copper the other nylon and a multi tool that can be used as a handle for the Ak's cleaning rod theres also a small oil bottle..
I liked it so much I bought two more from Numrich. The. Other kit is packed in a rubberized pouch. Same tool and brushes but a longer oil bottle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts