1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Memories- "Saving History" and other pearls of wisdom by the old fart -Ronin48-

Memories - "Saving History."

Topic:
Topic author: Ronin48
Subject: Memories - "Saving History."
Posted on: 11/24/2005 11:33:16 AM
Some of us older farts, er sorts, have seen, heard, done, some things that should be shared with the younger collectors. In the fall of 86 or 87 three of us journeyed to an importer in Savannah Georgia to look at three (? ) overseas shipping containers filled with Arisakas from China. These were the size of a small 18-wheeler trailer.The importer had one small shed that he had his employees put the rare stuff in. I remember him showing us an M1 carbine that had five or six rows of very nicely stamped chinese characters in the butt. There were several modified 44s, half dozen or so North China 91s, not sure what all. One thing he did show was a envelope full of photos, he had gone to China to investigate buying the rifles. The rifles for sale, Arisakas, Springfields, Mausers, ??? were on pegs on the wall in a large hall with, as I remember, prices if you bought a minimum amou, under each. They were shipped to the U. S. in bundles of 10 wrapped in burlap wired together on each end with heavy, coat-hanger type wire.

The three of us bought several hundred rifles at around $15-$20 each. The other two had C&Rs and I had a Class 1 FFL. They had copies of the three, but all three were put on mine. When we got home and the Memphis rifles were removed from the pile I copied his SNs and was able to determine what he took. I had to go through the 4-5 page list number by number. Then my other 'partner' took his and again I again had to go through a several hundred numbers, one at a time, to get his off my record. Took a weekend to get things straight.

As I probably mentioned before, the Birmingham Pistol Parlor received one of the first shipments from the importer. They showed up one Friday night at a B"ham, AGCA show about closing time. The next afternoon George Taylor and I went to the Pistol Parlor to see what else they had. That's when we first ran into the shortened, 7.62x39 conversionss. We had no idea of the caliber, but knew it was larger than 6.5. They still had a hundred or so bundles of unwrapped rifles and we volunteered to go in one evening after they closed and unwrap and rack the rifles. They locked us in one night, could not give us a key because of insurance reasons, and we unwrapped rifles until they came to let us out around 2-3AN. We were as b lack as the ace of Spades from the dirt, but were like two kids in a candy store. Also in the shipment were hundreds of Japanese and Chinese copies of Japanese bayonets/scabbards, some with frogs, for $6.00 each. Should have bought every one! WE put all in a box and went back 4-5 days later to get them, aout $1K worth. Someone had beat us to them.

The last shipment the Pistol Parlor received was the weekend Kathleen and I married. We spent our "honeymoon" in the back of the store, I was unwrapping rifle bundles, and she was recording anything worth recording. "Those were the days, my friends,...."

Replies:

Reply author: davep
Replied on: 11/24/2005 2:04:22 PM
Thanks for the story Doss. I would love to take a look at your honeymoon pictures.
Dave

Reply author: fingolfen
Replied on: 11/24/2005 2:43:30 PM
Ohhhh if I'd only been collecting then...

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More Arisaka Memories

More Arisaka Memories

Topic:

Subject: More Arisaka Memories
Posted on: 12/14/2005 10:04:54 AM
Lived in Pittsburgh, PA in the early 70s. Made several trips to Springfield Sporters in Penn Run, PA Bill Rogers, owner took a "liking" to me (good taste) and let me go in the basement and dig through a large box of Arisakas that I think he said came from Australia. There were several 38s with a star stamped on the chamber top similar to ones described in MRoJ, 1st ed. p. 192. No blue paint and regular sling swivel. One or more with "MO" stamped over ground mum, one as described on p.190, "S" stamped on chamber, modified to 7,92. There were a number of Siamese "police carbines" (fabricated from 38s) with regular T-38 bolts rather than the modified bolt. Several regular, well-used, 38s. One of these sticks in my mind. Well executed Skull with snake crawling through eye socket carved in high releaf on butt with an unpronouncable name carved under skull. Wish I had bought. Anything in box was $50.

Rogers told me about number of Enfields he received in a shipment with "Oriental" characters stamped in stock. He learned they were Japanese, took them to a prof. at the U. of PA for a translation, "Captured Enemy Equipment."

Replies:

Reply author: Francis C. Allan
Replied on: 12/14/2005 12:39:01 PM
I wish that you were born rich and would have purchased the lot of them!. I often wondered where all of the SMLEs went that the Japanese captured in Hong Kong, etc. In the move Bridge on the River Kwai the Japanese guards are armed with SMLEs. Some experts scoffed at this but I do not think that the movie was far off. The Japanese were famous for holding on to old or outdated weapons for which there was little or no ammo available. It seems quite logical that the SMLEs would have been used in this secondary fashion.

Frnak

Reply author: fredh
Replied on: 12/14/2005 5:32:36 PM
All of the rifles Doss mentioned were in the 1967 shipment from Thailand to Interarms. I saw the Thai furnished photos of the lot at Century when Century was considering the buy. Sucher showed them to me and offered me a free trip to Thailand to help decide what to buy. There were SMLEs in the shipment; how many, I don't remember. I do remember that one fellow picked up probably 15 or so of the grandpapas after Interarms got them, and later the stocks, and was getting $300 apiece for the rig. Oh, well.... I will say, don't fret Doss, 50 bucks was a lot of money for a Japanese rifle in the early '70's. I woulda passed too.

Reply author: pacific-war44
Replied on: 12/15/2005 03:37:48 AM
Though rare,you can occasionally find the Nazi equevilent of those enfields in guns from 1912 Styers to Nagants with the term "Deutches Reich" stamped or branded into their stocks.They liked to try new things too,and branded em like cattle.Could start a whole new colecting nich,rounding up enemy captue marked guns.I wonder if we ever marked enemy capture guns in such a way.Other than US 30CAL on a few '99's.I suppose carveing "Bubba" into the butt don't count......Scott

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 12/15/2005 10:05:29 AM
It's funny how things work - I'm in my "exhaulted" (read that as SUCKER) position of BANZAI editor because of that box of rifles. I bought about six of the Siamese 'Police carbines.' I had two or three left when I moved from Pittsburgh to Tuscaloosa in 83. I sold one to Damon Mills (Montgomery) who told his friend in LA, Rudy Herring, about the carbine/me. Rudy contacted me and bought one.

Rudy and Don Harper, BANZAI founder/first editor, were 'thick' and when Don sent the initial letter to 30 or so collectors copncerning the publishing of a monthly newsletter on Japanese militaria my name was included.

Otherwise I may have never heard of B'ZAI or learned of it after Don's passing in 85. My friendship with Don and his wife Kathleen (she continued as Editor) led to Kathleen moving to Tuscaloosa and us marrying two years after Don's death. I took the editor's job when she died in 94 rather than see BANZAI 'die.'

Funny how one seemingly insignificient day in your life (the day I fumbled through the box of rifles in the Springfield Sporters basement)can have such an effect on the rest of your life.

Reply author: Arditi
Replied on: 12/15/2005 10:37:35 AM
Interesting story. Those are the life events that add to my interest in collecting. Thanks for sharing. Arditi

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 12/16/2005 12:38:28 AM
Here's where one SMLE wound up. The other rifle looks like an '03.

http://forums.gunboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9151&d=1191696766
Download Attachment:
99.81 KB

Note that two of these guys are wearing pistols - a T-14 and a T-94, with lanyards on both.

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posting Frequency -Ronin48- 2/13/06

Posting Frequency

Topic:

Subject: Posting Frequency
Posted on: 02/13/2006 09:09:21 AM
Received a phone call from a 'Board Watcher' who was critical of my frequent posts on this Board, said I had "delusions of grandure" or something to that effect. I thanked him for his observation , ("Your adolecent comments are a proven indicator of mental retardation.") and let his comments ride, but they have been eating at me, hense this post.

Few months back, after a couple of brain scans which showed white areas, patches of dead cells, I received a "Good News, Bad News" report from my doctor. "Good News is that what you have is not Alzheimers, Bad News is that the end result is the same." I'll end up with the mental capability of a turnip! (Some will say I reached that point some years back!) I'm taking Aricept, an Alzheimers med. to slow the brain cell deaths. Hopefully, my body will go before my brain, 69 on 3/25.

In any event, my interest in the Arisaka covers a 57 year span '49-'06 and I've learned/observed a few things over the years. If I can share these with others with the same interests it may help future researchers, and those of you that would like to know as much as possible about their rifles, the history of use, past imports, etc.

My short term memory 'ain't so hot!' It' like a landscape covered with a light blanket of fog, certain things poke up through the haze, but many 'non-essentials' are shrouded. My spelling has never been 'world class' and I'm getting to the point that the dictionary doesn't always help, at times can't find the word I'm trying to spell. So bear with me, "It's a poor damn man that can only spell a word one way!" Harry S. Truman. And NO, you can't have my 'goodies!'​

Replies:

Reply author: HowdyDoody
Replied on: 02/13/2006 09:17:09 AM
Hang in there. I, for one think you know what you are talking about. Well most of the time anyway.
jim

Reply author: Fatstrat
Replied on: 02/13/2006 09:43:58 AM
Well it's obvious he doesn't realize what a treasure you are. Some here might recognise my name, but I bet most would not. I used to post here alot. Now I mostly just lurk.
THis forum seems to have a high "turnover" rate. Over the years there have been many like me who have come and for the most part gone. We learned from Eloldenhombre and eventually got tired and bored of seeing/answering the same questions over and over and over.
But he hangs in there, answering those questions for God only knows what number of times, freely and patiently giving of his years of knowledge.
Keep up the good work. You are appreciated.

Reply author: Arditi
Replied on: 02/13/2006 10:02:56 AM
Doss, I have been lucky enough to spend extended time with you and your family. I have read your articles in defunct AMICI magazine and I know you have additional production/interests in Banzai and Military Rifle Journal. You have published at least one book on Japanese wartime photographs under the auspices of your firm that I know of. There are probably more? You travel around the country more in a year, going to gunshows, than many probably do in a lifetime. You are a true student and fanatic of the rifle. Besides that you have appropriate communication skills...you make friends, buying/selling contacts and SHARE information not just hoard it. Simply, you are a "DOER RATHER THAN ONLY A TALKER"...those are the people I respect. Jealousy is everywhere...screw the naysayers. Best Regards, Arditi

Reply author: Edokko
Replied on: 02/13/2006 10:35:00 AM
Doss is the master teacher of this study and we are all more or less his disciples, whether we admit it or not. We are all gratified to see here that our teacher continues to teach.

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 02/13/2006 10:41:28 AM
Doss's contributions to our hobby are worthy of the title "national treasure". He's one of a handfull of collectors whove helped educate us all further than before.

Replied on: 02/13/2006 11:20:37 AM
Like Edokko said - we are the grasshoppers, you are the sensai...

Replied on: 02/13/2006 12:11:53 PM
Doss sez: "Last time I saw this much bull s**t I was passing a tremendously large feed-lot in Colorado!"

Replied on: 02/13/2006 1:04:40 PM
Doss - BTW - did you get my check for the Arisaka cap???

We still getting the Banzai t-shirts as well?

Reply author: szeigler
Replied on: 02/13/2006 1:34:46 PM

I'll save the smoke (to blow up your arse) when I see you in May.

Lots of love, Shannon

Reply author: jj-22
Replied on: 02/13/2006 1:36:44 PM
I for one hope you keep posting. I'm pretty much a lurker and not really a collector, yet. How many to be a collector anyway?
I learn something here almost every day read every post from every member.
How can I put this subtlety....Screw him.
Jon

Reply author: garfield
Replied on: 02/13/2006 3:32:05 PM

I don't care what Al Gore thinks of you; I think you are GREAT.

Reply author: JWMWITZ
Replied on: 02/13/2006 6:07:16 PM
Doss, I've learned so much from reading your posts and have greatly appreciated your answers to my questions over the past few years as I searched for my Type 97. I took your advice and waited and waited until the perfect one came along, and sure enough it did. Thanks for all you contribute.

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: unleashedndest
Replied on: 02/13/2006 6:29:50 PM
You know there has to be atleast one A-hole in the batch man hang in there I appreciate the gift of knowledge especially when it saves me a buck not getting the shaft on bogus item.

Reply author: akb
Replied on: 02/13/2006 6:40:48 PM
I don't care what anyone else sez about you, El Viejo, I like you anyway!

Reply author: Bill In Indiana
Replied on: 02/13/2006 7:04:11 PM

quote: Originally posted by Eloldehombre1

Received a phone call from a 'Board Watcher' who was critical of my frequent posts on this Board, said I had "delusions of grandure" or something to that effect.

Are you serious....somebody actually called you to tell you that?

Replied on: 02/13/2006 7:28:48 PM

I look for every post you make on this website and read each. I can not say that for anyone else. Most of us have many fewer years in the hobby that you have and we look to you for knowledge.

As Harold Macy once told me "There are no experts in the history of Japanese firearms; only enthusiasts with varying levels of experience." Your experience is wonderful. Please continue to share it with the rest of us who have so much less than you do.

Frank

Reply author: Jap7.7
Replied on: 02/13/2006 7:33:20 PM
Doss, I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to Banzai each month.Keep up the good work.

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 02/13/2006 7:46:58 PM
sorry about your problem, hope the meds help. Ignore the jerk, I guess some folks just don't have much to do except call folks up and complain, unbelievable.

Reply author: rambob
Replied on: 02/13/2006 7:57:51 PM
Doss, I wish you would post the name and phone number of this major dip wad that called you, so we could all have the pleasure of contacting him/her and telling them what we think of them. Whoever it was, they have no right to try and police this or any other forum and that kind of audacity really makes me hot.

Keep the posts coming as I for one really enjoy them.

Bob Law

Reply author: richigan
Replied on: 02/13/2006 8:23:58 PM
Having never met you in person, your stories of experiences and your kidding around all the time, You must be quite the character. Characters have CHARACTER, and I love that in people. Don't change a thing, and post more often.

Replied on: 02/13/2006 9:03:53 PM
My "friend" did not give his name and I did not note the number. Gary Nila, probably the leading authority on Japanese Naval Air, author of a couple of Osprey book's on the subject and co-author (tri-author?) on the book to be released this month on the Japanese 'super-sub' the I-400, received a letter from someone in AZ, unsigned letter, accusing him of "blowing his own whistle" too much. (a 55-word + sentence!)

There are a few assholes out there. His comment did get me thinking, I have posted a lot, think the news of my approaching "turnip-state" flipped some switch, "do it now!". Someone asked the name of my 'problem?' When I heard the news I did not think to ask, " a rose by any other name..." will next time.

There are a hell of a lot of people in worse shape than I am. If the medication works I may only be down to the "Garfield-level" (mixed fruit) in 10 or so years! And if worse comes to worse how many of you will get to be pushed around the guns shows in a baby stroller by a pretty woman and not have to wipe your own behind when your diaper is changed?

Garfield, Al likes me better than you, that's what frosts your backside! It's Hillery that has the hots for you! Think Odie (and Hillery's husband) do too!!!

Reply author: pacific-war44
Replied on: 02/13/2006 11:29:11 PM
Well Doss,if you hadn't took a shot at Doug Kerley a time or two,he wouldn't have messed with you!
All b.s. aside,long before I got the Net I began scanning a buddy's Banzai issues years ago for your vast wealth of Nippon-popgun knowledge,and continue to soak up you're take on this quest for the "ushuri & blue" coated mission we're all on.I intend to tap your noggin for many years to come too,so deal with it you ole' rock-cracker you...hope to meet in person some day. Scott

Reply author: Odie
Replied on: 02/14/2006 12:22:57 AM
If you're looking for sympathy from me you can find it in the dictionary between sh-t and syphllis-You still aren't getting anymore Milwaukee's best light outa me.

Reply author: Chuck Lamb
Replied on: 02/14/2006 02:09:52 AM
One complaint out of more than a thousand of us is not very impressive. I think you should print up all of your posts, bind them and sell them. I'll order mine right now!
Chuck.

Reply author: strangms
Replied on: 02/14/2006 5:11:52 PM
I enjoy all of your post and have learned a Great Deal from you and others here.
If the person who called you doesn't like you posting, then why does he read them......is someone making him?????

Sounds like he needs to get a Life...

strangms

Replied on: 02/14/2006 5:43:36 PM
Mike and Dan Larkin are the fellows that have been collecting data on Nambu pistols, 14s and 94s, production dates and serial numbers for many years. They have done, are doing, the Japanese collector fraternity a tremendous service.

Mike and I were on the phone today, this post was mentioned and Mike noted that some years back a person called and asked if "this was Mike Larkin, the 'know it all' on Japanese Nambu pistols? (or somesuch beginning). Mike replied than he had a Nambu collection and he knew a few things about them, he would not classify himself as a "know it all." Caller replied, "Well, you're an ass hole!" and hung up. (Luckly Mike did not recognize my voice.)

Seriously, there are a few out there that are too lazy , stupid or ??? to do more than whine and attack those that try to do something. As Bear Bryant would have said, "They just didn't have good Mamas and Papas!" Nuf said, let's put this thread "to bed."

Reply author: Navybuff
Replied on: 02/14/2006 8:00:17 PM
Doss, If you remember about a year ago I took issue with a few of your comments and contacted Kfields about them. Once you posted here about that I came forward and said it was I who did this and you and I worked it out and I was wrong and admitted it!!!
I hope the caller can show the same respect and at least come forward in the open and make these charges. He won't of coruse because he knows it is bull. Keep posting as much as you want, we need to learn what you know.

Reply author: Obsidian
Replied on: 02/16/2006 12:08:37 AM
I vote for you to replace the man who reprimanded you.

Replied on: 02/16/2006 12:23:00 AM

quote: Originally posted by fingolfen

Like Edokko said - we are the grasshoppers, you are the sensai...

Good grief! Stop kissing his ass! He thinks there are only two bayonet variations, for crying out loud!

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 02/16/2006 01:43:43 AM
I agree Rob. Instead of posting Doss should help his illegitimate son Trey finish his book!

Replied on: 02/16/2006 09:11:14 AM
Not my illegitimate son, Al Gore's! (or Garfield's).

Seriously, I've told Trey if he would give me one "Table Series" (data he has collected on a single series) each week, I'd rough out a chapter and give it back. He could do what he wanted with it, modif. and use or wipe his back side. His call. I'm retired (retarded) and could possibly do more than one.

I don't think anyone is going to come up with anything not already known on production history so other than rehashing what is already in print, speculating on when production actually started using the production data from Japanese records (which is a general summary and not reliable in my way of thinking) and breaking Fred's Nagoya FY totals into series, 95+% of the book would be describing the individual series, changes to the series.

I've discussed with Trey the desirability of having a "chart" for each series (when changes within the series did occure), across the top (defining vertical columns) would be the 10k serial number divisions (left to right) from 0 to 100K, down (along) the side would be the changes, B rear band, C rear band, etc. A horizontal line would run from 0 to say 49K for the A band, Then a line would pick up opposite "C" band horizontal column at it's beginning, may be 51K, and carry it on out. One could tell at a glance what major changes occured within the series and where the changes had been reported.

Would like to see the book completed while I'm still at the 'watermellon" staqe, but frankly, have my doubts that it will ever be published. And, in closing, up yours A dogs, there are only two REAL b'net variations, only GIRLEY MEN think there are more!

And, And, this whole thing is/was not about the guy that thought I was posting to blow my own horn, it is about why I am, ie, trying to share what litle I know/believe to be true while I remember, assuming my doctor is right. If anyone wants to talk about the 99 book let's start a new thread!

Replied on: 02/16/2006 09:25:43 AM

Would like to see the book completed while I'm still at the 'watermellon" staqe, but frankly, have my doubts that it will ever be published. And, in closing, up yours A dogs, there are only two REAL b'net variations, only GIRLEY MEN think there are more!

So, we've all been wasting postage sending in those data sheets??

Was just trying to keep you humble, Eloldefartuno!
Don't know of any girley men on the central coast but there's a bunch of them in 'Frisco & West Hollywood!

Replied on: 02/16/2006 7:14:34 PM
Yea, lot's of 'em in 'Frisco, but Central coast ain't exactly immune either. I've seem some of 'em walking down along the streets of Solvang.

Replied on: 02/16/2006 9:43:30 PM

up yours A dogs, there are only two REAL b'net variations, only GIRLEY MEN think there are more!

up mine? If I was a "girley man" I might like that!

Using your bayonet logic, then I guess there are only two T-14 variations as well - small trigger guard & large.

Replied on: 02/16/2006 9:46:05 PM

quote: Originally posted by Edokko

Yea, lot's of 'em in 'Frisco, but Central coast ain't exactly immune either. I've seem some of 'em walking down along the streets of Solvang.

I really don't like Solvang that much as it's an overcrowded tourist trap. Folks from Frisco & W. Hollywood, no doubt! I try to go around it when out on a Harley ride.

Reply author: Odie
Replied on: 02/17/2006 12:02:33 AM
Hey Adogs-you don't have one of those butt plugs on your Harley.do you?

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 02/17/2006 12:10:31 AM
Hey Doss, just wanted to say thanks for the valuable info you post on here. in some cases it has saved me some cash! thanks very much. i wonder if that person who called you will ever be so bold as to let us all know who they are. i figure they probably wont because they had to contact you outside of the boards. SNEEKY! i always lived by the saying...if you are bold enough to say or write it....you better sign your name next to it!

Replied on: 02/17/2006 09:03:19 AM

quote: Originally posted by Odie

Hey Adogs-you don't have one of those butt plugs on your Harley.do you?

Why?? Do you need one?

Reply author: skikir
Replied on: 02/17/2006 10:40:48 AM
What happened was your knowlege probably blew a deal the idot was working to sell the Emperor's personal Astra pistol to some newbie and the newbie was saved from loosing $2K by your imparted knowlege. But hey, you can use your condition to your advantage (and ours) and just forget about this assinine(sp) idot.

Replied on: 02/17/2006 11:48:37 AM
Good post, I now tell the 'Amazon Queen' "Hey, my memory is going, what do you expect?" Will have engraved on my tombstone, "I told you I was sick!"

Adogs, Odie needs more than a buttplug, a wider bridge would be a starter, or at least that's what Garfield said.

Reply author: rlabar
Replied on: 02/18/2006 09:16:34 AM
Well I see its my turn to put my two cents in, as I think some times that remark about "only need two bayonets" is aimed at me. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but take it personal, just the same. I'm afraid that is Doss's way of saying he doesn't know sh*t about bayonets, so they must not be important! I have the greatest respect for him, as far as his knowledge about rifles go, but he is a newby on bayonets, and I don't think he has enough brain cells left to teach an old dog, new tricks? With that said, I guess its time to go to the post office, and send Chip his goodie. Hope this finds you in good spirits, and you can remember who this is.
Raymoond LaBar
[email protected]

Replied on: 02/18/2006 09:41:57 AM
WRONG/RIGHT. WRONG - Not aimed at you, aimed at all the b'net collectors that go 'ga-ga' over "the rear screw in the handle is turned 45 degrees towards the tip instad of the usual 42 degrees"
Save the "ga-gas" for "the forward upper tang screw is turned 45 degrees towards the front sight instead of the usual 42 degrees!"

RIGHT - I don't know shit about bayonets, and that's too much, a waste of space on my diminishing 'hard drive.' I have Johnson's book, have tried to read it several times, but do not have the interest. Same with Mausers, if they were the only rifles I was allowed to collect I'd have to go to insulator collecting and the insulator collectors are the only group that keep the bayonet collectors from being on the absolute bottom of the out-house pit! (Couldn't leave you guys feeling good about yourselves now could I?)

Seriously ,(why?) you pig-sticker collectors are helping to solve the 'puzzle' of when, where, etc concerning Japanese ordnance producers, and that's why I consider you all, "my brothers." ( until it comes to my will.)

"Why kan't we all jes try to get along." (in a whining voice) in the words of the Kalifornia Afro-American who had the crap beaten out of him for resisting the Police.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

Close Window

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Japanese vs German Collectors -Ronin48- 2/06

Japanese Vs German Collectors

Topic:

Subject: Japanese Vs German Collectors
Posted on: 02/14/2006 04:43:57 AM
Over the years I've heard at least a dozen times, " I used to collect German rifles, but the prices became so high, fakes were taking over, so I switched to Japanese and have been supprised at how much more willing to share information and friendlier the Japanese collectors are." Words may have been slightly different, but the message was the same.

I've pondered over this and think I have an answer as to "why" we are more friendly and better at sharing information.

In the 50s and 60s, before the market was flooded with German Militaria publications the German collector who read German had an advantage over the non-German reader. That 'common' ammo pouch on the table was actually a Hermann Goreing, Condor Legeon, SS, Pflugarsmarine rear ammo pouch, 1 of 200, issued to the guards of Hitler's nanny. You keep your information to your self, pick off the goodies, and don't associate with the non-German-reading riff-raff.

On the other side of the coin few Japanese collectors read Japanese. Anytime anyone gleamed a new tad of knowledge it was shared with other collectors in his speciality, find enough pieces of the puzzle and you may construct a picture. By sharing information you become friends.

What say you to this theory?​

Replies:

Reply author: BradB
Replied on: 02/14/2006 05:38:10 AM
I agree Doss. I think another aspect is that when someone looks at a REALLY NICE German item, they are ALWAYS evaluating whether or not it is a fake. So, even when a German collector gets to show off their collection, they are automatically on the defensive. Different base approach from most Japanese where the fakes still stand out (with some growing exceptions).

Replied on: 02/14/2006 12:02:52 PM
I also think that the attitude around "Japanese stuff" vs. "German stuff" has changed a lot in the past decades. "German stuff" in general has always been associated with precision engineering and quality. If you collect "German stuff", you're collecting the "best of the best". "Japanese stuff" for the longest time was just "Jap crap" - Japan didn't have a reputation for quality before the 80's. So Japanese collecting may have attracted a different group of people - people more interested in the history and less interested in the prestige.

Replied on: 02/14/2006 12:19:22 PM
I have been known to say "I used to collect German stuff" I became discussed with the so called experts that in actuallity don't know a lot. I have found the more i learn the less I really know about collecting. The fakes and the attitudes of many German dealers did me in "if it's theirs it's original if it's yours it's a fake mentallity. I was really surprized with how different the Japanese collectors are, and you are right "willing to share information." I have always liked Japanese items, but before the internet it was hard to find good sources for me. Recently I discovered the Japanese forum on Wehrmachtawars and then this forum so I'm glad I found some people that I can get advice from and impart on occasion.

Reply author: ketoujin
Replied on: 02/14/2006 3:19:36 PM
I started collecting in the mid-90s back when I was a teenager. I was into collecting Japanese from the get-go. Part of the attraction, I think, beyond greater affordability, was that so many other people were (and still are) focused on the ETO and Germany as "WWII", to the negation of the war in the Pacific and Asia. To me the PTO was a far more fascinating subject historically - you have a country that has modernized within less than two generations from 1868 to the 20th century in order to survivive Western gunboat diplomacy and then embarks upon the construction of an empire on the Asian continent - an empire that at its height takes in more territory, climates, and disparate peoples than the Third Reich ever did, from the gates of India to the Aleutians. THere is much more variety in Japanese militaria and I've always liked collecting arms and equipment that the Germanophilic know-nothings still dimly regard. For years I felt like we Japanese collectors knew we were collecting something wonderful but it was a self-satisfying secret we could keep to ourselves - let the the German collectors have their often fake, overpriced, and boring Waffen-SS gear. I collected Russian/Soviet too but prices are going up. I've stayed true to my first love though.

Best,
Gunnar

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 02/14/2006 9:27:24 PM
I started out with a general collection of WWII rifles always with focus on rifles of europe, and yes of course looking for german rifles. I quickly learned in NC that german collectors are squirrely bastards and have a tendency to lean toward closet nazi-ism I only met one or two that were good guys and would help you all they could. I am not saying they are all this way but is is "MY" experience. I eventually got a mummed mostly matched 38 at a pawn shop and was fascinated. I met Shannon Zeigler at a show soon after. He invited me over to his house and showed me his whole collection and then invited me to go to the banzai shoot in AL. There i met a host of awesome people Doss, Trey, Bobby, George, Vince, the list goes on and on.And i have met many more every one of the seven times since. On top of that thay handed me more rare guns than i had ever hoped to see at one time and invited me to shoot them! ask a german collector if he shoots his G.41, he'll hiss like a vampire, and scramble up a tree.

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 02/14/2006 11:04:32 PM
I collect German occasionally, mainly Imperial German when I can afford it. Everything German, ESPECIALLY Third Reich, has gone out of sight in prices. Too many ultra rich gotta-have-it-all types that have driven the prices into the stratosphere. When people with almost unlimited disposable income get into our hobby, and do it for an investment or ego purpose, then regular working stiff types get locked out. I used to collect Lugers, had numerous ones over the years. I have one standard WW1 Luger now and thats probably the last one I will ever have since the prices are approaching 2 Grand for a garden variety Luger now. Its gotten crazy. The flurry of specialty books on Lugers and other German arms also fueled the craze. But it did help send me to the Japanese weapons and I like them just as well, if not better.

If someone were to come out right now with a book on Type-99 rifles, done with lots of color pics, period action photos, exhaustive detailed analysis, some one of a kind rifles and some individual rifle battle and capture histories and packaged and promoted it real pretty, the Type-99 would become a 4 figure gun overnight. Everybody has to have what they see in the pretty books. Fortunately Mr. Honeycutt and Mr. Anthony did their outstanding series of books that caters to us collectors. Without his books I would never have gotten in the Japanese collecting arena.

Reply author: skikir
Replied on: 02/15/2006 3:40:03 PM
Funny how it is. I collect WWII in general. I like Japanese but keep getting Italian. Seems a Mauser is a Mauser. Not untill the very end did they change much and there were not that many variations. With Arisakas there are 38s, 38 carbines, 44s and every 99 is different from the next one.
But the collectors are diffent. Seems gun collectors are either arogant ass holes or salts of the earth and so far I have not seen the former here. Maybe it's the mystery of Japan. I can't even read it. After the war Arisakas were virtually never used anywhere again except in Korea and many were dumped into the sea. Where as the Mauser was front line sevice for years after the war in Europe.

Reply author: rblue
Replied on: 02/15/2006 8:11:38 PM
If I ever get the chance to make it to the Banzai shoot I'll bring you G-41 to try out!
But you have to clean it!
Roscoe

Reply author: Mike Rockhill
Replied on: 02/15/2006 10:23:17 PM
Roscoe!!! its one of the good guys from my early days NC, how the hell are you? I already got my cleaning kit packed. the vampire comment was suppose to rub my buddy up here the wrong way, but it brought you back out of the works instead.

Reply author: rcb
Replied on: 02/15/2006 10:37:08 PM
Hello Mike, good to see you here. I'm the one that blew the gun up. Looking forward to seeing you Memorial Day. rcb.

Replied on: 02/17/2006 10:17:19 PM
That wasn't a 99 that the remains were sold to Ellis McCurdy was it? Case 'misloaded' with pistol powder?

Reply author: Lowrdrbird
Replied on: 02/18/2006 06:27:04 AM
Well guys i will ring in on this. I mostly study the ETO but get this i mostly collect Japanese rifles. I have not gotten into collecting japanese military only the peices that are given to me. I really like the fact that people in this field (japanese) are as you said much friendlier. Thank you to all that have helped me out also. I will continue to collect but i have aslo started at a young age of 25 now im 28 so i still have alot to learn.
KEN

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 02/18/2006 1:09:28 PM
i started out when i was 22 years old. i just returned home from the marine corps and being stationed in Japan, i immediately had to get an arisaka rifle. i found one in a gun shop somewhere in virginia i belive while on vacation. the girlfriend(at the time) didnt care much at all about spending $95 on a rifle. so unfortunately, a few months later i sold the rifle off. it wasnt real pretty....but then again neither was my girfriend! a few months after i sold the rifle, i pawned off the girlfriend. i have a new fiance now who actually got excited when i told her i won an auction for a japanese bayonet. she asked me how much, to which i replied $125. she took me by surprise by telling me that was a good deal! so 20 arisakas later and a collection that doesnt seem to stop growing, and the transformation of a bedroom into a gun room...i think i am doing just fine. 20 arisakas, 2 nambus, 14 bayonets, and a pile of japanese militaria in just 3 years is a pretty big accomplishment for me. these guns are great to collect and are down right fun to shoot. i have more fun shooting these than i ever did with garands, ak's, AR's, or any other weapon.

Reply author: Bushido101
Replied on: 02/18/2006 9:08:04 PM
I remember not to many years ago when you told someone you collected Japanese militaria, they thought you collected junk look how it has changed now, in just a few years.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Very interesting thread. Wish I would have gotten into collecting a lot earlier, but at least I got into it. Better late than never! You guys that have been around sure do have some great stories!!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pacific for Nerds

Pacific for Nerds
Topic:

Subject: Pacific for Nerds
Posted on: 06/07/2006 08:13:06 AM
Many Arisaka addicts are only interestd in series and variation and don't give a rip about the rifle's history or the Pacific war/CBI action. They could not tell you Buna, from Biak, from Bhamo. And if that's their bag, who am I to comment, let them continue in their ignorance!

However, for those of us nerds interested in both our iron and the history of the Pacific war and actually read more than MRoJ, the following will be a WELCOME companion to your 'studies' "The West Point Militay History Series, ATLAS FOR THE SECOND WORLD WAR, Asia and the Pacific" T. E. Griess, Series Editor Avery Publishing Ground Inc., Wayne, NJ. ISBN 0-89529-304-8.

Most books have one or two small maps of the area under discussion (recently completed a book that had maps, but did not have them listed in table of contents!) They sometimes appeared after the subject area was covered!

With the Atlas you can locate the areas discussed in the book (no thumbing bck and forth to a small map (in case of papr back) and get a much better idea of a specific area's loczation to past events and how it relates to fighting in the area and the geography of the remainder of the area, I find it an extremely handy reference.

Covered aer the Japanese offensive in 41-42: Malaya, the Philippines, East India, Burma and SW Pacific. Allied Offensives:
G;canal, Papuan campaaign, CARTWHEEL , Gilberts, Marshalls, Marianaas and New Guinea, etc. This should give you some idea.

My copy came through [email protected], the cost was around $35. Worth twice as much. If he has no more may be able to order for you.
Replies:

Replied on: 06/07/2006 09:15:17 AM
Eloldefartuno, thanks for the tip! I've always been very interested in the history behind these things we collect. I'm now reading the Thousand Mile War - it's about the Aleutian campaign.

Reply author: Bushido101
Replied on: 06/07/2006 1:23:28 PM
I have always tried to tie the items in my collection to the areas where they were picked up, unfortunately I have a few items that came from estate sales and flea markets that have lost the history of where they came from. So I guess what I am trying to say is get documentation if you can, That way you have the item and the history that goes with it, It really makes it more interesting to me.

Reply author: christian rifle
Replied on: 06/07/2006 1:34:36 PM

Replied on: 06/07/2006 4:13:03 PM
I / we expect 'youse guys' to return the favor whenever you run across something that might interest the rest / some of the rest of us.

Over the past several years I've built a 'sub-collection' of rifles with documented history, just passed several along to 03 man. One from an airfield in Japan. Just ran across a ref. to that field in "Genda's Blade." A second was from airfield renamed "Johnson" air base. This one mentioned in one of the books under a page size color drawing of the Zero.

03 man - Which rifle did you need a ref from B'ZAI for?

Replied on: 06/07/2006 4:40:25 PM
Great reference - I'll post a few here as well - there's a couple of nice new Osprey ones on Japanese forces in World War II.

I really wish I knew more of the history of my rifles. Granted, I go out there looking for rare variants, but I'm only interested in Japanese rifles (and WW2 rifles in general) because of the epic piece of history that they represent.

Replied on: 06/07/2006 5:06:58 PM
I need the article on the T30 from Borneo, Balenkapan and the Okinawa 99 with the blown receiver.

Replied on: 06/08/2006 04:17:33 AM
People in hell want ice water too. Will see what I can do, next rainey day!!!

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 06/08/2006 2:02:59 PM
My basic reference for the Pacific War, WW2 in general, is the Time-Life series on WW2 that came out in the 70's. I think I am short a few volumes but I have what I need to cover the Pacific pretty well. Quite informative and very well written. Like reading a mystery novel actually. Cant put them down.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Reading these old posts, its sad to see so many members no longer posting here anymore. Some of these guys (or gals) posted quite often with a lot of knowledge. At least there are still quite a few that stayed along with some new ones.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Building Arisacka Sporters -Walkingeagle- 6/06

Building Arisacka Sporters
Topic:

Topic author: Walkingeagle
Subject: Building Arisacka Sporters
Posted on: 06/01/2006 04:14:05 AM
I rebarrel/ restock T-30s/35s/38s/97s and 99s to nice, affordable sporters. Use the Arisacka action because of its duribility, so far have done about 50. Always use receivers with matching bolts/mums. Just finished a beaautiful 97, modified the original scope mount to put scope over center. My best work yet!

Only have about 25 original Arisackas left, where can I buy more with mum and matching?

Replies:

Replied on: 06/01/2006 07:25:18 AM
It must be a lot of fun! Turning a $3000 rifle into a $200 rifle; or a $300 rifle into a $100 rifle.

Keep up the good work, makes what's left more valuable.

Reply author: Otter
Replied on: 06/01/2006 08:23:53 AM
Yeah, most "Eagles" fly...This one is so lame in what he's doing he has to walk
. Restoring beaten up Arisakas to original condition would be a thing of grace. What you're doing would be like taking a medicine wheel, Dream catcher or vintage bow and quiver and painting them florescent colors and tying CDs to them for decoration.
It's WRONG!
Just plain wrong.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 08:46:57 AM
I have half dozen sporters ranging from a 30 in .257 Roberts to a 99 long rifle and I shoot maybe once a year, but they remind me of the nights back in the 50s when I had one beater Arisaka from Okinawa that I bought from kids up the street and a copy of Williams Gunsight Publication, "How to Sporterize Military Rifles." Dreamed of having a two-rifle rack: my "original" condition Arisaka on the top and a sporter underneath.

I'm curiouss though, how did you wind up with 75 'as-original" rifles?

Reply author: Walkingeagle
Replied on: 06/01/2006 09:01:57 AM
Was driving by a house, old woman putting sign on a tree, guns 4 sale' I stopped, she said her husband was in a coma, had been for some time,would not recover. She needed money for hosspital expenses and for a funeral, as well as food,etc. He had some "old guns" she didnt know how many, in a room built on to the garage. She gave me the key went back in the house i went to the room and there were 75 of the most beautiful rifles, all JapS, you ever saw. Most had the bypod and sniper arms on the rear sights and metal cover with the bolt upside down 8 stamped behind the number you book, but some had other Jap markings and no covers or sniper arms.

i went back and told her they were not many and theys all japs, not much demand for them. She said 'how much are they worth' and I said "about $700, but seeing how you are in a bind, I'll give you $1,000 CASH, I'm a Christian.". Her face lit up, she hugged me and she drove off to the hospital and i got a drinking buddy to help load the guns. 75 like new rifles for ony $1,000 HE, HE, HE, HE. Husband died the next week so he didnt need them and she got more money than she expected. HE HE HE HE. Like to get more deals like that.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 09:11:55 AM
This is a pretty good joke, whoever you are. Kinda sick, but funny. I think you may have a couple of guys falling for it.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 10:43:07 AM

I trust you are busting our balls. If not, I doubt you'll get much help on this forum or others. See you in hell.

Enjoy, Shannon

Replied on: 06/01/2006 12:58:43 PM

Replied on: 06/01/2006 1:46:32 PM
What a prince of a fellow, stealing from an old lady and making sporters out of nice rifles.

Reply author: christian rifle
Replied on: 06/01/2006 3:21:35 PM
on the next Japanese sporter you make be dont forget to polish off the flower on top of the gun. It looks stupid if you dont.
Also I cant stand the plain pistol grip they came with. It aint too much extra effort to square it off and cap it with a black plastic disc. Them white spacers dont look half bad either.
Thats assumin you use the same stock it came with, me I just toss em and get a nice Monte from Shotgun News.
They dont fit every japanese gun though.
I had one with the two piece reciever and even after I welded it together I couldnt get any stocks to fit so i just made myself an anchor for the johnboat out of it.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 3:43:04 PM
Moderator: This guy should be banned from this site. Foreign readers may think that he is serious and may think a lot less of us because of his stupidity.

Frank

Replied on: 06/01/2006 4:49:53 PM

Reply author: seinen
Replied on: 06/01/2006 5:21:37 PM

quote: Originally posted by Francis C. Allan
Moderator: This guy should be banned from this site. Foreign readers may think that he is serious and may think a lot less of us because of his stupidity.
Frank
Yes.....Doss can tell you stories about being personally threatened at gunshows after he posted how much fun it was to grind mums on rifles belonging to ususpecting tableholders.

C/

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 06/01/2006 5:36:33 PM
Now thats funny....if you get tired of sporters they makes great lamps too....

Reply author: rpf2697
Replied on: 06/01/2006 5:43:15 PM
This guy cannot possibly be for real... anyone read his profile?

Reply author: Gregg
Replied on: 06/01/2006 5:55:51 PM
Walking Eagle in Native American speak, is a bird that so full of shit that it is too heavy to fly.
Kind of sums this guy up.
But with that handle, he knows exactly what is is doing.
Regards, Gregg

Replied on: 06/01/2006 7:38:58 PM

Reply author: red one
Replied on: 06/01/2006 7:40:49 PM

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 06/01/2006 8:12:24 PM
I cant belive you guys are getting all worked up cause he pokes a bit of fun at us japanese collectors...I thought german arms collectors were supposed to be the uptight prima donna types ,not us.personally I dont think he's a new comer to our group at all,so you might as well relax and let him have his joke..."Ill give ya $1000 ,Im a christian"...now thats danged funny.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 9:02:50 PM
I suspect this must be El Old dudes alter ego. Reviewing he previous past he sure seem to know a lot about our circle of friends.

Shannon

Reply author: Walkingeagle
Replied on: 06/01/2006 10:09:25 PM
If I'm lying I'm dieing!. Well only a small lie, I'm not a Christian, I'm a Presbyterian. Gentlemen, some of you have read between the lines. When you have gone several days (nights) waking up between midnight and 1AM and no more sleep for tht morning your "brain" (and I use that term loosely) has time to think of many things besides ships and sealing wax.

For you overseas readers, should there be any, this is/has been a joke though when a collector over here dies there are 'buzzards' that bombard the widow to sell her late husbands goodies. Walkingeagle him just have BM, fly back to reservation, UGH.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 10:18:44 PM
Just as I expected, either Trey, Shannon or "Arisackamutt"
And I don't believe that sleep BS either.. If he had said in the beginning that he was a Presbyterian we would have known he was not Christian. Everyone knows that the Amphibolites are the only true Christians.

Replied on: 06/01/2006 10:43:23 PM
Well, it wasn't me & I knew someone was putting us on from the beginning. Even the profile was pretty funny - teenage gunsmith wannabe! I'd guess it was Garfield or Odie.

Replied on: 06/02/2006 12:50:29 AM
Arisakahound, GARFIELD = Walkingeagle, now that's funny! You could be correct, though his "humor" is drier. But again, anyone that puts his roommate's cat in the freezer because the cat's bothering him when he's trying to get laid and there is no other place to put the cat can't be all bad.

Replied on: 06/02/2006 01:38:36 AM
Gaaads, this is sick !! He is sick !!! "SICKTURDS" like Walkingeagle should be banned from breathing air, a total disgrace to this fine art represented by us STRAIGHT SERIOUS collectors of fine Jap-junk !!!

P.S. But, thanks for the gear ! and... we all love you.

Replied on: 06/02/2006 08:15:31 AM
No, nothing wrong with what he did (Garfield, not crap-filled bird). The only place to 'pen' the cat to keep it from jumping on the bed was in the freezer. He had every intention of 'uncaging it' afterwards. But the young lady did not there to be an 'afterwards' and when there was Garfield was so 'pooped' he completely forgot the cat. His roommate was a little miffed when he returned to the apt, opened the freezer door to get ice for his "cool, refreshing, beverage, and found a half-stiff cat, HIS CAT!!! Don't remember if the cat stayed here or went to 'kitty-land, have to ask him. Maybe the handle "Garfield" is in memory of that long-ago ***** that afternoon, the four-legged one.

Replied on: 06/02/2006 09:09:11 AM

quote: Originally posted by 03man
Can't spell either.
If you read it carefully I think you'll see the spelling is deliberate.
I think the "upside down 8 mark" (Nagoya) was a poke at me.

Poop Filled Eagle must be getting a pretty good laugh out of us!
I found it to be pretty funny.

Replied on: 06/02/2006 09:38:26 AM
OK, I'll 'fess' up, Eloldehombre = Walking Eagle (crap-filled bird) and A-hound, the sporterized Nagoyas and receiver with an inverted '8' was 'aimed' at you. Ain't it amazing what a sick brain will come up with at 3AM?

Walkingeagle back at reservation, no Nagoyas to sporterize, no fun here, fly out to CA, to Adogs rifles when him at work. UGH!

Replied on: 06/03/2006 01:08:07 AM
You would have been next on my list of suspects.

Been filing any mums at shows lately?

Replied on: 06/03/2006 02:00:35 AM
I still get a good laugh every time I think about that Tulsa show in the early '80s where we had the Banzai "island" set up With Don & Kathleen Harper. This one fellow wanted to kick Arisaka Fats ass because he heard about him filing mums at tables when no one was looking. I don't think anyone told him who Fats was, cause he was serious!
Arisaka Fats is another one of Eloldefartunos multiple personalities.

Replied on: 06/03/2006 09:58:29 AM
Remember that show well. Ruth has a photo of that show/you in the "BANZAI photo album which covers 25 years of B'ZAI activity. You look like a young, thin, clean-shaven punk, rather than the old, 'rotund' hairy-faced punk you are now.

But seriously, do you remember if Don Harper had two 99 carbines with him at the show, one Nagoya SN 10? Story was a U. S. sailor picked them up on dock in Korea? from pile of Japanese rifles as U.S. Navy returning Japanese soldiers to Japan.

I remember the two carbines, not serial numbers, and thought they had a 'different' marking than the chrysanthemum. I have SN 10 now, quite a story, will be in B'zai later in the year, but in case it ever shows on the market. IT IS NOT A JAPANESE-MADE CARBINE!

Reply author: ken_hable
Replied on: 06/03/2006 8:27:32 PM
Don's two T-99 carbines were numbered 8 and 10. I saw these two carbines before Don started "Banzai." The rest of the story is that a couple years later I ran into a fellow who had several Japanese rifles at a gun show. While talking with him he asked if I knew of Don Harper. I said sure. He then went on to tell me he had built two Japanese carbines for Don. They were serial numbers 8 and 10. I didn't take them apart so I do not know if they were marked internally or not. The guy knew too much about them for me not to believe him. He did say that Don liked to dazzle the "experts" with these carbines. Ken

Replied on: 06/03/2006 9:28:40 PM
Looks like Ken has answered your question. I wasn't looking at rifles too much at that time as I fancied myself as a Japanese pistol collector. Didn't take long for me to figure out that I was in over my head! Blake Clore had that super nice Tokyo carbine at that show that I later bought from him at the Shawnee show. I had to borrow the money from Harvey Zahler to make the purchase. Cost me $300 then! It's still one of the finest pieces in my collection & is the rifle I've had longer than any other Japanese rifle I own.
Although I was into pistols then, I realized what a special piece it was. I've always thought of these as the "Baby Nambus" of the rifles.
I'll never forget Blake at every Oklahoma area show walking around with about 8 rifles hanging on his shoulders on original slings! I don't think he ever had a table!

Replied on: 06/04/2006 03:28:55 AM
Ken, A-mutt, thanks for the input. Kathleen told me the story. Don and a "friend" had the carbines 'built' to fool a know-it-all at the Salt Lake City show. Ken, just "assuming" the guy you met that told you about the carbines is named 'Joe." #10 receiver bottom is stamped with an "D. A. J. M. T. C." (Don and Joe made this carbine) Receiver top is rough filed, all of the original SN excluding the last two #s, 10, removed. (I know, I know.)

Carbine ended up with Rudy Herring, I was interested in buying, he sent it to me, I examined, saw the letters on the bottom and knew immediately it was one of the ones Don had made. Rudy said no, he bought it as an original! Don and Rudy were good buddies so ???? I ended up with it as I tried to sell it (for two years) for Cindy after Rudy died. She had given use a mine kit (bitch to UPS) for the help Ruth and I gave her and found a buyer for the kit so sent her the $$$s and kept 'carbine that would not sell.' Walkingeagle say, "Rather have carbine than mine kit anyway, can hang carbine on wall, not stub toe. UGH

Reply author: Hotelfinder
Replied on: 06/05/2006 2:42:41 PM
doss that is twice you made me laugh today...

Dang that was funny... DTA you all DTA

Replied on: 06/05/2006 3:43:59 PM

Reply author: hetai
Replied on: 06/05/2006 11:37:28 PM
Hey, I knew it was a joke from the very beginning! He said he used Arisakas because of their "durability". Now, everyone knows Japanese rifles were junk more dangerous to their users than their targets! After all, most GI's killed by an Arisaka were killed by blown up reciever fragments hurtling downrange! Why, just today on the Hysterical Channel a reknown gun expert (Ian Hogg) even said Japanese rifles were outdated, junky turnbolts. HEY! Wait a minute! Didn't the Brits use the Lee-Enfield rifle? How come old Ian didn't mention that the LE is a "turnbolt" rifle too?! You know, the one with headspace problems & wandering zero? The same one they threw down on the beach at Dunkirk as they turned tail & ran? YEAH! That one!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lot of knowledge and wisdom in those posts. Hopefully Doss will tire of trolling the other board(s) and wander back here again. Although I would guess he will have a new nom de guere.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Yep, those are sweet memories. I'll probably meet the Walkin' Eagle in Lakeland next week, so will try my best to pursuade him to come back. Of course with a risk of getting a swift kick in the butt.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Ah yes, that is so tlue. I shall sprinkle him with the magical spells of powdered dlied squewid, should do the trick.
BTW, when are you going to come to one of these shows and share your nice single malts ? Any plans to come to the SOS ?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
When is it?..Ive been wanting to meet you (and a couple other guys) In person,just hasnt worked out...Im thinking that the only time Ill get away this year will be for the Blevins gathering tho (hopefully i can make that one).I wanted to make Roys in mississippi,however its simply not possible.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
Not sure why anyone would have to change their handle?? Anybody that wants to participate here is welcome. I hope you are successful in talking him into coming back around. He has lots of friends and students here.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ronin just seems to be the type of guy that likes to change his name when he moves around. He is Gargoyle over on that yesterdaysweapons site so if he shows up here again I imagine he could "sneak" in as someone else, on the surface. My opinion only. Hopefully he will just show up and start posting like nothing happened. And Adog too.

Was watching a show on public tv the other night about Jack Parr. When he left the Tonight Show the first time, over disgust of the network censoring something he had said on the show, he was eventually convinced by friends to return. When he did return, on the first show back, everyone was expecting a big deal and explanation of why and where he left to. Instead he said, "As I was saying before I was interrupted..." then went on like he had always been there. I suspect that MAY happen here in time.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Lets hope so.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
When is it?..Ive been wanting to meet you (and a couple other guys) In person,just hasnt worked out...Im thinking that the only time Ill get away this year will be for the Blevins gathering tho (hopefully i can make that one).I wanted to make Roys in mississippi,however its simply not possible.

Dave, it's February 22nd to the 24th in Louisville, KY. Try to make it, it's one of the best shows on earth for us militaria types, and lots of company too. A couple shows ago, I got so overwhelmed (ie. drunk) with JD at one get-together night, that our great friend and savior Don Schlickmann, had to carry me to my car and drive me back to my hotel, with his friend following in their car ! Man talk about great friendship (Don) ! and great idiots (that be me).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts