Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Husqvarna 1942 m/38

What does T (torped?) on the front sight mean? And 0.5? Why is the cocking piece electropencilled? Is the stock refinished? Is the stock beech? Is the cleaning rod screwed in cause turning it doesn't loose it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Torped means that it is 139 grain m/41 spitzer ammo. The T on the front sight is correct for this rifle sights, the .5 is the height of the sight for a correct zero. The stock is Beech. The electro-pencilled cocking piece is probably an arsenal replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what kind of groups can I shoot with this rifle at 100 yards? And what kind of critters can I hunt with this rifle realistically?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,913 Posts
I found out this evening my newly acquired M38 is also capable of killing the local skunk population out here in the woods.
Never fired it until this early evening. If I can nail a skunk at about 50 yards, guess I may just try a deer next January in our rifle hunt.
Me like!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Actually, these rifles are terrible in accuracy, lucky to hit moose at 50 yds, let alone skunk. The bullets bounce off of prairie dogs at 100 yds, they die laughing. Really! The best solution is to wrap it up in bubble wrap and send it to me. I will send my ffl contact immediately. As consolation and in recognition of your service to true, accurate rifles I will send you the m44 Mosin-Nagant or Turkish Mauser de jour, your choice.:laugh:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting how both Soviets and Swedes designed a carbine in the same year (1938). Is the Swede M/38 as reliable in 'Stalingrad-type' environments that the Mosin-Nagant M38 would thrive in?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Interesting how both Soviets and Swedes designed a carbine in the same year (1938).
Is the Swede M/38 as reliable in 'Stalingrad-type' environments that the Mosin-Nagant M38 would thrive in?
1. Many did, yes. The transition from the old long infantry rifles with their complex rear sights graduated for long-distance volley fire, to shorter and handier "unitary rifles" that would replace both the long rifles and the former designated carbines, was just the trend of the time. Italy introduced its Mod. 1938 short rifle in 7,35mm, and the Japanese Type 99 short rifle (its short-lived long Type 99 predecessor was soon abolished) dates approximately from the same time

2. Armchair warfare or computer game? ;-). The Finnish winter war did allow the m/96 long rifles to see some combat in the hands of Swedish volunteers, though. But while this was not the urban environment which you had in mind, reliability in forest, ice and snow is at least as much of an issue as in ruins and street fighting.

Carcano

·
Banned
5,134 Posts
i think BELL of african fame used a 6.5x54 ms to kill some of his elephants, so i think the 6.5x55 with good 160gr round nose bullets, which is a better cartige would do in a pinch if you run into a stray elephant in iowa. eastbank.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
i think BELL of african fame used a 6.5x54 ms to kill some of his elephants, so i think the 6.5x55 with good 160gr round nose bullets, which is a better cartridge would do in a pinch if you run into a stray elephant in iowa.
Well, the RN FMJ 6,5mm bullet might just do on a paisible stray elephant in a hurry; but as Bell found out, the bullet is not the best against REAL aggressive pachyderms. If you shoot an Arizona tea partyist e.g., there is a high chance that the bullet might bend and not penetrate deep enough. These critters are tough, and that was the main reason why Bell lateron switched to the 7x57 Mauser (".275 Rigby").
;-)

Carcano

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
So what kind of groups can I shoot with this rifle at 100 yards? And what kind of critters can I hunt with this rifle realistically?
The groups will depend upon your shooting ability. However, the rifle is capable of taking anything in North America, with maybe the exception of the Big Brown Furries that tend to eat you when irritated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of bullets and weights do these rifles shoot well? 140s? I have 8x57 to load for the hot stuff.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Some recent shots with my "new" m96, 1913. 140 gr. sierra boat-tail gameking. H380 powder 38 grains, CCI 200 primer, nosler brass.

Caveats: 60 year old, bad eyes, stock iron sights (blurry sight picture). Bench rest was "Stanley Work bench" on sand. Wind ca. 25 mph+ (blowing sand), gusty, Temp. in mid 30s. have not shot rifle in quite a while, much.

With that not bad. Hold was European with white gap between black bull and front post. Sights are calibrated at 300 m., so about 12 in. low hold @ 100 yds.

Target at 100 yds. A, C, and B are diff. loads (~0.2 gr diff.), all 140 gr. bullet. Hey, I am allowed a flyer or two! Low in black on tape is C, too. Front post was off from armor's mark, corrected now. Held left to compensate between diff. loads.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice shooting. I'm excited to try her out. She's a very solid rifle. Nothing rattles or shakes like a Mosin. Just good craftsmanship and engineering.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
I picked up one near identical to yours today, Ive been looking for one on and off for a couple years. Swedish mausers seldom shoot any less than excellent. Even the military surplus ammo on the market gives excellent results. These rifles were originally sighted in for a 156-160 gr round nose bullet and later a 140 gr spitzer was used, which yours should have originally been sighted for, owing to the T marked front and rear sight. This rifle is high on my list to take hunting in the fall, but itll still have to duke it out with some other rifles for the honor.

·
Banned
5,134 Posts
the k-31,s shoot ex. as do the swedes,but when i take my swedes and k-31,s to the range i get mixed reviews on the k-31,s from other shooters i let shoot them and most say they would not get a k-31 over the tried and true bolt actions. us dyied in the wool military rifle shooters don,t feel that way,but regular hunters and some time shooters seem to. plus swiss 7.5 is almost ever not found at regular gun shops, 6.5 swede is some times hard to find all so. i like both but do lean to a good bolt action. eastbank.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
156 norma in the old one... husky i had a 38....cut ragged 1/2 in groups or better of a bench
the 1900 carbine...2 inches best it coud do...same ammo..
only had one German made (long gun)....3 1/2 inch spreads...NEVER shot good with any ammo?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.