Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father sayed he picked this engine up over 40+ years ago. He was told it was a starter engine for the German WWII ME262 jet fighter. It was mounted in a stand for training at the facility he was at. It came with a box of xtra parts as well - that I'm still looking for, as well as a generator from a B36 bomber.

My father intention at the time was to build a go-cart with it for us kids - obviously never done. He said he had it running then for a time.

Qustions - Can someone confirm that it is a starter engine for an ME262?

Anyone got an idea of how to sell or dispose of it? Place where some people paying $1 million for the repro jets - might want it for their hanger? Guess as to value?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Here is a pic of a Ridel in a museum

The Ridel in the above photo looks completely original.

Tom M, the one in your pic has been modified, but it is something you don't see every day. Either came off a 262 or an Arado 234 Blitz. Very cool.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of a Ridel in a museum

The Ridel in the above photo looks completely original.

Tom M, the one in your pic has been modified, but it is something you don't see every day. Either came off a 262 or an Arado 234 Blitz. Very cool.
Yeah - used in some kinda training class. Any more pics of the motor - might help me sort out the parts that are laying around?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the one in the museum - looks like its missing the cylinder shroud that covers the cooling plates. Probably done for display.

Think I have a least one of those cooling fans shown on the rear of the motor in your picture too.

Depending on your point of view - either the one I have or the one in the museum appears upside down.

This thing is pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of the spare parts I've found.

Still hopeing I've got a 30MM cannon and a Jumo engine some where.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone has an exploded diagram of this starter engine in a book? Maybe a diagram of parts? I would greatly like a copy. Thinking I would like to re-assemble it like the one pictured in the museum.

If not - I guess I might get some help from someone in the Smithsonean. Wonder if a few parts in exchange might get me access to one of their examples - so I could build my example up?

Got some parts in the mix that I dont believe are from the ME262. Might be from a B36? Maybe something entirely different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.