Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had a good video or pictures/instructions for disassembling the 08 or 08/15 lock? I bought a new lock spring and I was hoping someone might have some instructions before I jump into it and possibly take apart something I dont need to. Google search didnt turn up much useful info.

Thank you!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Please let us know how it goes with this replacement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's only difficult for him because he doesn't have the proper tool, and it's obviously his first time working with a Maxim lock. Grind a point to a 1/4" rod to align the spring and the cap, then push it through with the pin at the end. I can assemble a hundred locks today in the time it took me to assemble my first

quote from the above forum referance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Disassembly is easy, reassembly is hard, different order. See Mark Novak YouTube video. You will need a proper size punch to get it back together, see the post on the other forum for pic of what the original pin looked like.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Any updates on your spring replacement?

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally got around to putting the new spring in today. The only real problem I encountered was when I tapped the collet out that holds the firing pin spring, the spring shot out across the room with pretty good velocity. Maybe I shouldn't have had it in the cocked position? Other than that, everything went fairly well with reassembly. Hopefully it will run the hard primer Yugo ammo without issue now!

Thanks again for the info and advice!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The flying lock parts always more dangerous than the ammo ��. Considering the simplicity of the vickers lock and the usual German efficiency it is odd that the German lock is SO relativity difficult. By the way does anybody have lock number 2840 lock C, a DWM version?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The flying lock parts always more dangerous than the ammo ��. Considering the simplicity of the vickers lock and the usual German efficiency it is odd that the German lock is SO relativity difficult. By the way does anybody have lock number 2840 lock D, a DWM version?
Never had the pleasure of working on a Vickers lock as I am fairly new to the Maxim type guns. Overall I didn't think the lock was too hard to work with aside from flying parts. I will say that I found the lock diagrams from The Devil's Paintrbrush and that helped immensely for reassembly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Maxim locks

Cannot comment on ease/difficulty of a RUS maxim lock but vickers lock so so much easier hence spare lock parts and machine gunners carrying out quick parts replacement in the field/front line. I guess that is why an 08 had 3 locks to hand as irrespective of how capable the German machine gunner was, a speedy repair/replacement under fire would have tested anyone!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts