Gunboards Forums banner
101 - 120 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My Russian Capture K98k screams at me to clean off the stock, like everyone else does. I refuse to do so, since it is an original unaltered specific type of Mauser, an RC. Cleaning the stock would make it unoriginal. The fact that it has the original Russian sling helps to tame the impulse to clean the stock.

I got lucky I suppose. The stock on this RC looks great IMO. Low sheen. Still needs a sling though. The Arg has a sling now. Won it on Ebay. Described as "unissued/unused", but when I got it saw it had to be a repro. Looks brand new cept for hardware. Got it for a very low price. The turk has a sling as well. An old Spanish ( I think) sling I found for 10 bucks. Turk also has the bayo I found at a gunshow. I need to take some fresh pics.
Steamer

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Yugoslovian M48BO rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1957 by Zastava. All matching, milled floorplate and trigger guard, imported by INTRAC. Correct sling, M48 bayonet, scabbard, and frog. The BO (bez oznake, or "unmarked") rifles were unmarked with country crest or name of manufacturer, intended for export. All BO rifles were made in 1957. Some were sold to Syria where the Syrian crest was added. Most BO rifles were of the M48B type with stamped triggerguard and floorplate. Like new.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Probably the owner before you cleaned off the ugly Russian shellac.

+1 for putting slings and bayonets on your rifles. Frogs are good, too.

The hunt for cleaning rods, slings, bayonets, and frogs can easily exceed the hunt for the rifles. What really hurts is when the bayonet costs more than the rifle.
Especially when it's a 10 inch cleanig rod. I've been lucky with the bayos so far. Missed a bid on one for the argy though.

Steamer

·
Gold Bullet member
85 Posts
I saw not too long ago where a person owned a carbine and made the brass buckle out of solid stock. I seem to recall he indicated he might make a few more. There were photos on the thread; it was either on gunboards or surplusrifleforum. Maybe he might show up here or you could do a search for the thread. I think an original sling and buckle was shown too.

Yes, the correct bayonet is the Czech 98/29 bayonet, AKA VZ23 long. Sometimes they show up on ebay but you have to look at every bayonet on auction because they are sometimes misidentified. The extra length, cutting edge down, and the loop on the scabbard is the way to ID them. There is a photo in post #1, also a replica frog shown that was made for me by [email protected] at http://www.bayonetfrogs.com/

I watched the last four or so Persian carbines sell on gunbroker. They went for a bit more than I would like to spend but I still am looking for one. Here's the bayonet:
Thanks for the advice. I've tracked down that thread for the brass buckle, now it's off to find a bayonet and sling :).
Dan

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,395 Posts
Meet my leetle friend...Argentine M91 Carbine.

Hey guys,

Here is my Argentine Cavalry Carbine. Original and matching. Maybe ninety five percent blue. This carbine is pictured I think on page 13 of Ball's book, fourth edition. Sling came on it. I was informed by another member that these carbines were not issued with slings. Has been on the carbine a long time as the only bluing wear is on the front top of the barrel.

Included the Moroccan to show the hand painted rack number on the left stock and a better photo of the whole carbine.

I used to have an 1891 engineer's carbine bought from Ellison's ten years ago. Hundred twenty bucks and all matching, tiny import mark just above the wood line. Had a great crest and was in very good condition. Wish I had not traded it. Never did like the bayonet lug and sling swivels added. Useless and ruined the lines of the carbine. Shoulda' bought half a dozen.

Lancebear

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Here are a couple of mine:
A 1936 S/42 with a cousin of the Mauser; a Type 99.
Next is a 1937 S/42.
Then a "Romanian capture" DOU 44.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
16,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
Yugoslovian M48 rifle, 7.92X57. Made in 1952 by Zastava. All matching, milled floorplate, stamped trigger guard, imported by Century. Correct sling, M48 bayonet, scabbard, and frog. This is not supposed to have a stamped triggerguard but it does - maybe one of the first or maybe a replacement. The Yugos numbered the floorplates but not the triggerguards. I get the impression that it is not unusual to find M48/M48A/M48B/M48BO rifles with various combinations of parts. This is your basic Yugo, I bought it because the crest was different from my M24, M48BO, and Syrian.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,395 Posts
Krinko, what did you get in trade...

M1930---more or less perfect. Couldn't hit anything with it, so traded it to a pure collector.
I had wanted one since I saw a Vaughn Bode comic drawn in the mid-60s.
That itch has been scratched.
-----krinko

Looks like a fifteen hundred dollar pistol or more if it was all matching.

They are a handful to shoot, front heavy and the small strange grips. But if you have a good pistol and a firm two handed grip they are as accurate as any pistol I have ever shot. First entry into collecting was a 1912 Broom in very good condition and all matching. Shot the crap out of it. Never misfired or jammed after hundreds of rounds. Was always very accurate. Funny thing about them, shoot enough rounds and get the barrel very hot (You can't touch it after thirty or so rounds), and the pistol will sometimes start cookin' off rounds and basically goes auto. Can hardly feel it. Once shot a few clips and put another ten shots in. Pulled the trigger three times, pistol was empty. Coulda' started a fire with barrel stuck in some tinder. Hope you got something ya' like better...what did you trade for?

Lancebear

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,395 Posts
M91 and Moroccan carbine...

So it was a rack number. You didn't tell me it was stamped on one side and painted on the other side. Now to find out if other Moroccan carbines have similar numbers.

I agree the cavalry carbine looks better than the engineer carbine (like mine). But I also have a thing about bayonets and I find it excessively cool that the Argentines cut down a rolling block bayonet to go on the engineer carbines. Your sling sure does look like a Yugo. It is just a leather strap and two brass buttons, so it could be original Argentine. If it doesn't have additional cuts in the leather for buttons, it is fairly well guaranteed it is not Yugo. It is true the cavalry carbines were not made to have slings. What you are using for a rear "swivel" is the loop for a cavalry lanyard. That was removed on the engineer carbines as you probably remember.
Geladen thanks for your interest. The M91 sling has only one set of slits in the rear and several in the front but obviously crudely hand cut.

The Moroccan carbine #79, is marked 79 on the right receiver ring and just below on the stock and 79 on the bolt. Far as I know that's all it's supposed to have. Hand painted 79 on the left stock is a bonus. Looks cool.

It is an absolute beast to strip. Took half an hour to tap the upper band off with a piece of cocobolo. Have to take the stock off before you attempt taking the handguard off. It is held on with a spring clip underneath and the screw in front of the rear sight. Won't take it down again. Hope somebody comes up with some new info. What I found is there is one four digit known and nobody knows how many were made. Small order is the word.

Lancebear

101 - 120 of 671 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.