Gunboards Forums banner

641 - 650 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
German IG1871/84 long rifle, 11.15X60R. Made in 1888 by Spandau toward the end of production. I don't suppose they continued to make these for long after the Gewehr88 came out. Bolt mismatch (557 numbers off), no import marks, no unit marks, proofed FW for Prussia. It looks to me like it spent some time in South America. French sling, almost correct private purchase 71/84 dress bayonet and scabbard, replica frog. A well used Mauser.
Geladen, a relative who knows I am into milsurps let me know that there is someone selling an IG 71/84 which "needs work" for $175. From the grainy cell phone pic I was provided, it looks to be mostly complete externally, but missing the stacking rod at the end of the tube. It is likely going to be a wallhanger/safe queen anyway. Would you say it is worth the whole day roadtrip to pick it up?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #645
Numrich Gun Parts shows to have part #47 mag cap and stacking rod (all one part) in stock at this time for $18.00.
They also show to have part #24 repro mag spring in stock at this time but part #25 mag follower is out of stock.

Only you can say if it is worth the time and gas for a full day road trip to see if you even want it. Maybe you could combine that with visiting a museum or some pawn shops. I spend many hours each week cruising the auctions online, but I consider that to be recreation. I look for deals and steals like the three rifles I just got from the Nov. 7 Timbercreek auction: Orberndorf Venezuelan M1910, Steyr Austrian M14 (ex-Mexican M1912), and Gavage Chinese M1937. If you don't count the 1956 Daisy M25 BB gun (same as my long gone first gun) that I got in October, those were the first guns I bought since January.

That is very uncommon for me to get more than one gun from a single auction. Not only are deals and steals hard to find but my funds are limited. I had to really stretch to get three, even though the first was a deal and the other two were steals. That particular auction had so many unidentified or misidentified desirable rifles that I had a list of 10 that I wanted; it was a 'once in a lifetime' auction.

Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
Numrich Gun Parts shows to have part #47 mag cap and stacking rod (all one part) in stock at this time for $18.00.
They also show to have part #24 repro mag spring in stock at this time but part #25 mag follower is out of stock.

Only you can say if it is worth the time and gas for a full day road trip to see if you even want it.
To close the loop on this, I ended up making the trip. There was a miscommunication, the seller was only an hour away from me (even better!). It ended up being an 1887 Amberg. It is mostly numbers matching, and other than the tube magazine, everything else was fully functional (missing the cap/stacking rod, spring, tube magazine follower, and the barrel band spring). It has quite a few spots of pitting and some glazed/crunchy looking rust nodules on the end of the barrel. Bore condition looked dark, but had strong rifling. I was able to get it for a reduced price, and have ordered the external bits from Numrich. The rifle has already been taken apart and is cleaning up quite well. It will be a nice wallhanger once conservation is complete.

·
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
To close the loop on this, I ended up making the trip. There was a miscommunication, the seller was only an hour away from me (even better!). It ended up being an 1887 Amberg. It is mostly numbers matching, and other than the tube magazine, everything else was fully functional (missing the cap/stacking rod, spring, tube magazine follower, and the barrel band spring). It has quite a few spots of pitting and some glazed/crunchy looking rust nodules on the end of the barrel. Bore condition looked dark, but had strong rifling. I was able to get it for a reduced price, and have ordered the external bits from Numrich. The rifle has already been taken apart and is cleaning up quite well. It will be a nice wallhanger once conservation is complete.
I'm glad there was a good ending to that story.

Bill

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Geladen, I am looking forward to seeing the 1910 Contract rifle you purchased.

Mr.Speed sent along the following in regards to it being a possible Venezuelan rifle:
I saw some talks on Only Mausers section on Venezuela Oberndorf model 1910 so looked in my Cartel files, yearly reports, sales book and have the Following data. The Time period 1907-13 was hectic time at Mauser as we had the 1907 Paraguay contract for 7600 Rifles 7.65 and 1500 Carbines that used Intermediate systems with NO high Clip guide. then Peru 1909 with High Clip Guide 7.65, 6000 Rifle 7mm for Bolivia with Intermediate system, then 1910 Serbia for 32000 Rifles 7mm Intermediate system also some 325 Carbines, then Costa Rica 5000 Rifles and 300 carbines, All this activity created a Large Inventory of extra parts many used up in smaller lots of Dealer ordered rifles and carbines from Venezuela and Guatemala.Please add this to ONLY MAUSER section on site, Thank you.

1. 1913 Mauser yearly report shows Venezuela order some 2500 rifles for which 1100 were shipped by the well known Belgian Dealer/Gun maker Mahillon

2. Mauser Cartel notes that show the Mahillon sales 1100 for Venezuela in 1913. This sale went in 2 shipments!

3.Kartel Notes for Guatemala shows Carl Arbeit a large German dealer 1914 makes purchase of 600 from 2000 ordered

4. Sales book entry July 17 1914 shows the actual purchase of 600 rifles by Carl Arbeit

WW1 was fast coming on line so some deals were never completed or rifles shipped like with the 12000 China Order and 10000 Paraguay orders the rifles which were taken into German military system or sold to Turkey. Note in Cartel data the actual Model designation of 04/07 left over parts from Earlier China sales back in that time period. No question the Venezuelan rifle and Guatemalan are hard to find. Ok ,hope this data is of interest to some Mauser collectors. Regards. Jon Speed

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Also to add to the discussion, here are a couple more documents from Mr. Speed, with english translations by 7x57. I unfortunately did not save the thread these were originally from. I suspect it would be one of the stickies, but have not looked.

·
14,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #650 (Edited)
Fal Grunt and Mr. Speed, thank you very much for the information on the 1,100 M1910 (as marked on siderail) Venezuelan rifles.

I also found a photo in MMROTW 5th, page 396, showing those rifles in use at the Venezuelan Military Academy.

Photo #3 in post #648 indicates there were 1,000 M1907 (as marked on siderail) rifles sold to Brazil. I never knew a quantity before. My example is in post #318 on page 16.

641 - 650 of 650 Posts