Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They sell K98's are they the real thing or did i get a turd?????? I picked up a few years ago at a local sporting store. I i didn't know realy i didn't I'm going to change my name now. i new this would stir the pot but DAMB. :cry:

·
Registered
20,673 Posts
Actually, you bought a $h1+ sandwich with no lettuce & no mayonnaise.... if you bought it
as a collector piece, expect value to increase or wanted a original 98K.

If you wanted just a shooter, you paid about twice what a good 98K mismatched shooter
would cost.

In summation: consider it a Lesson Learned. Take it back if you can but if not, turn the page.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
You can't be seriously asking that question? There's must be a million or so posts about them on here and on the entire world wide web. Mitchell's k98s are Russian captured k98ks. In house, they (mm's) sand down the stocks heavily, grind down original serials and markings and restamp to match. They polish up the entire bolt to "shiny". All original k98k bolts are either blued or phosphated, no exception. They also usually put a extra line through the russian capture "X" mark on the receiver to make it look like a star or asterisk.... The masses seem to think that this is done to hide the fact that it's a Russian capture to begin with. Then of course their advertising is pure fraud...

Mitchells k98ks are pure turds IMO, no collectability value whatsoever, overpriced hump jobs and with the polished turd bolt I find them truly disgusting.

People claim that they are "great" shooters. They are no different than any other standard Russian capture k98k in similar bore condition with regards to shooting. Some say they look "prettier" doing the shooting though, lol. Mitchell's doesn't perform stock bedding work or any other accuracy improving work so those folks who claim that mm's are superior shooters are wrong. My buddy and I proved this at the shooting range when my RC outshoot his MM in both his hands and mine.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
You like alot of folks paid way too much for a misrepresented rifle..It may look and shoot well but that's where it stops. If you thought you were getting a historical piece, you did not...You my friend, are not alone...........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Some of us who are new to the world of guns, may not be aware of the BS sellers out there, A dumb question is the one not asked.sombody slap me. all i can say is,i'm lerning, this is a more recent purchas an m39 , some of you are realy snotty. Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm curious as to why you ask this question after you have apparently spent your money? Don't you think you should have asked before you actually laid your money down? I don't mean to be an A hole, but I try to do a little homework on just about everything I buy that will cost me several hundred dollars. The pic you post is not even close to a K98 at all. It's not even German.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Some of us who are new to the world of guns, may not be aware of the BS sellers out there, A dumb question is the one not asked.sombody slap me. all i can say is,i'm lerning View attachment 512316
I don't mean to bust your chops... We all make mistakes, that's for sure. But you asked if "you bought a turd". From my understanding that means that you already purchased it. I just can't seem to understand why folks pay $500 bucks or more on a firearm without first doing a five minute google search at least beforehand.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Thats the same way I read it MG85.
Yup, you beat me to the post but were both seeing eye to eye on this. It just seems like the logical way to approach a large purchase....

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't mean to be snotty tdawg. You posted a pic while inquiring about a purchase I understood you to make. You also said your still learning. (as am I). It appeared to me that you were posting a pic of the rifle you were inquiring about. I know MM sells humped 91/30s, but would not be suprized to see him sale whatever he got his hands on and cal it something else. Did'nt see any other reason why you would post an M39 in a K98 forum. Did't mean to insult your intelligence by implying that you did'nt know the difference. But,,, How am I to know if you do know the difference. Would like to think that since you have found out about MM that you can send it back and spend your money on something that I know you would be much happier with. Good luck to you sir.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
as to research. yes I should have. i picked the lump, up a few years ago, befor i new what a true colector was. my bad i also put some trust in my local dealer,again my bad, I'V growne some since, so try not to be to hard. perhaps this will help, some ather newbee. to not make the same costly mistake. humbled . tdowg thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It is a hard way to learn, But at least you did learn. They're are many people who have made the same mistake. Problem is,, alot of them don't care or don't realize it. You have at least made steps in the right direction. This forum is a wealth of information to help you from making mistakes again, and MM is not the only mistake to be made. Use the forum as a tool to help yourself learn,, and you'll be good to go! Good luck.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hang in there, Tdawg...one day, I'll tell you about the variety of "I thought it was a good deal" learning experiences I've made--in fact, we've ALL made!
The trick is to ramp up that learning curve as quickly as possible, and be extra careful when you wander into unknown areas.
.....as for some of the attitudes? we all love to tell you about how we are now--and somewhat slow to tell you all the things that got us here.
Cheapdad

·
Copper Bullet Member
6,537 Posts
Hang in there, Tdawg...one day, I'll tell you about the variety of "I thought it was a good deal" learning experiences I've made--in fact, we've ALL made!
The trick is to ramp up that learning curve as quickly as possible, and be extra careful when you wander into unknown areas.
.....as for some of the attitudes? we all love to tell you about how we are now--and somewhat slow to tell you all the things that got us here.
Cheapdad
Don't worry too much tdawg, I warrant about everyone on here has had an "I thought it was a good deal" learning experience. About 40 years ago I bought a Dan Wesson revolver thinking it was the coolest new idea. Later I could not give the thing away!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Cheapdad
You got that right Bro, most Collectors won't admit that they too have been burned at on time or another and it happens to the best of us.
It's called a learning experience.

tdawg, just hold on to your MM and in a year or two you can put it on Gun Broker and get most of your money back. In the mean time go out and shoot it, just enjoy yourself. Next time just stay away from anything with Mitchell's on it.

HDH.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.