Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at a show yesterday and a vendor had a pile of various kinds of rifle stocks from 03's to synthetic ML to whatever. One of the stocks, however, was a very Mauser-looking stock complete with a mid-stock recoil lug and a cutout for your thumb when clip loading. It had a metal buttplate like the Turks and something I have not been able to ID is the sling bar it had on the left side of the stock. I looked thru MMOW (2nd Ed.) to no avail. The sling bar was squared off, protruding from the stock, no milled recess in the wood and seemed to have been pressed in as there was no protrusion or attachment on the right side and it did not swivel. The stock also seemed longer than a carbine. I'm going to have to start taking a tape measure with me in the future. Any ideas?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was at a show yesterday and a vendor had a pile of various kinds of rifle stocks from 03's to synthetic ML to whatever. One of the stocks, however, was a very Mauser-looking stock complete with a mid-stock recoil lug and a cutout for your thumb when clip loading. It had a metal buttplate like the Turks and something I have not been able to ID is the sling bar it had on the left side of the stock. I looked thru MMOW (2nd Ed.) to no avail. The sling bar was squared off, protruding from the stock, no milled recess in the wood and seemed to have been pressed in as there was no protrusion or attachment on the right side and it did not swivel. The stock also seemed longer than a carbine. I'm going to have to start taking a tape measure with me in the future. Any ideas?
Probably a Spanish M43. JL

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ditto the M43...

If it was a large-ring M98, pistol-grip type, it was likely a Spanish M43.

If it was a small-ring, M93, straight-grip type, it was likely a Spanish M1916.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see in MMROW that there is a Spanish Model 44 Mauser made for the Spanish Air Force. On the view pictured there are no sling swivels shown as it is from the right side. Which I figure if there are any they are on the side. The one I saw (and I could be very wrong) looked like a flattened wicket sticking out of the stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts