Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a Mauser kit weapon with certificate of authenticity and all its paperwork along with around 800 rounds of ammo. I was hoping to get your opinions on what you thing it would go for. all numbers matching.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Line
Air gun Wood Machine gun Trigger Shotgun

· Registered
243 Posts
l
Looks to be a Mitchels Mauser. the bolt is polished. That's a dead give away. It's a Russian capture that's been refinished. Both metal and wood. Numbers are forced matched. It would be best to pass on this one and look elsewhere. They make an OK shooter but collector value is not there.

· Registered
266 Posts
The photos are not close enough or clear enough to tell anything for sure but it appears to be a Mitchells. These reworked rifles and their "certificates of authenticity" are sort of an ongoing joke in collector circles.

· Registered
1,629 Posts
While it is a Mitchell's Mauser it is not a rebuilt and humped Russian capture K98k. It's a Yugo M48 in most likely as manufactured condition, bright bolt and all. Mitchell was known to bring in As New M48's. My only concern would be to ensure the rear site is either still on it or, is still with it depending on what type of scope mount is sitting on the base.

· Registered
427 Posts
I agree with WpnsMan that it is an M48. From Mitchell's, cannot agree Looks just like an M48 from Cherry's that I have. Only some of the ammo is "Mitchell's"(repackaged, I'm sure). The green box stuff looks like S&B FMJ, the first ammo I shot out of my M48. Good ammo. I also would want the original rear sight and take the scope off, it looks unnatural.

· Registered
172 Posts
Undoubtedly a Mitchell, Likely an M48, if so polished bolt is correct but I still assume Mitchells cleaned them up. The certificate as mentioned above is a joke among collectors and is meaningless. I'm surprised people still buy into that garbage, whether it be guns or any other form of collectible. If the seller is the one issuing the certificate it's meaningless, outside of the CMP.

I would make sure the rear sight is still with it as well.

How much do they want for it? I would say under $500-$550 go for it. Even 800 rounds of surplus 8mm Mauser is worth a few hundred in todays market.

· Registered
63 Posts
If the rear sight comes with it, the rifle along with the sight would probably be worth around $400 or a little more.
The mount and scope might add a little more value. Depending on the ammunition, i'd put added value to the sale between .25 and .40 cpr

Total all that up and see if it comes close to the asking price. These are not terribly hard to find in good condition but ammo is nice to have.

· Registered
37 Posts
l
Looks to be a Mitchels Mauser. the bolt is polished. That's a dead give away. It's a Russian capture that's been refinished. Both metal and wood. Numbers are forced matched. It would be best to pass on this one and look elsewhere. They make an OK shooter but collector value is not there.
It's not an RC K98K, look at the top handguard, it's a yugo-made Mauser, probably an M48. It's most likely just as it was when it left the factory, most M48 rifles weren't used at all. It's a nice rifle.

· Registered
EVERY MILSURP TELLS A STORY
414 Posts
It's not an RC K98K, look at the top handguard, it's a yugo-made Mauser, probably an M48. It's most likely just as it was when it left the factory, most M48 rifles weren't used at all. It's a nice rifle.
Yes. There have been posts previously from our regulators that an m48 can be righteous even if m&m handled it. Jeff

· Registered
31 Posts
M48B made from presed parts. Small bottle conteining two supstants one for cleaning, other for lubricating it ( čišćenje i podmazivanje) bayonet what is writen on the blade PREDUZEĆE 44 or noting (if ther is no leters its a m48 BO Without markings)
K98 mausers in Yugoslav after ww2 servis shud be stamped , buth no german eagls Wafenampts they wher grinded of from barels and from bayonets too only numbers on blade are there and on crosguard 4 digits, blade tiknes is 0,7mm and below on tiny side if it is 0,8 or hier it is german original. Measuring my k98 bayonets that is apsolutle thry.
One of myne is 1,2 mm on blade tichnes

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Olds here is what an ancient fart thinks. At WI prices 800rds at .75 = $600, bayonet $60 or more, the Rifle depending on the receiver marks $350, M 48, M48A M24/47 ??? You need to know this info. Yugo say $400 orig cost. garbage scope ??? $75-300 who knows. Mitchells rifles are ok for shooters. As collectors, its a joke. The M48 and M48A both had a sling cut stock like a German K98. Here are some old ads.

Font Material property Aircraft Thumb Advertising
Trigger Font Gun barrel Revolver Aircraft
Font Material property Newspaper Publication Advertising
Font Material property Advertising Paper Document
Wood Font Line Terrestrial animal Music
Font Wood Rectangle History Paper

So do you want a hunting rifle or shooter? I'd say you got about at a gun show price $1010. Now would I buy a Mitchell---hell no! As strong as I can put it. Ammo is about .80-$1 a round at WI gun shows, would I pay that ? NO, but at 50 cents a round or $400 the ammo is a deal. The bayonet is $60 at the least. So figure a rifle at old 2012 prices of $300-350, ammo at $400, and the bayonet at $60=$760. That would be fair in todays market, Most would want more. Now the ammo and bayonet is all I'd be after. Check the markings on the receiver, check the bayonet for matching real numbers. Here is my 2 cents of K98Ks cheep at gun shows information from 2019: see treasure bunker: ( lots of info on K98 Mitchells)

Maybe read this Zastava M48 Mauser: MILSURP Gem | Breach Bang Clear

I do not like that it is drilled for a scope. Bad news, unless you want a scope. Find out how it is put on and is reversible. Or is it drilled? below are receiver markings so you know what the basic rifle model is. I guess if you can buy a Mitchell at 2015 prices that is OK if its what you want. I'd search out a RC K98K. Empire arms just posted a nice one, but its $900 which is crazy for a Russian capture.
A Yugo K98K look for "Mod 98"
Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Font

A Yugo M48
Tin Material property Font Gas Metal

A Yugo M48A
Material property Gas Tints and shades Electric blue Cylinder

A Yugo M24 47

Rectangle Motor vehicle Font Wood Gas

1 - 14 of 14 Posts