Gunboards Forums banner

Mauser Rifle Vol 1 Book

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  bagiman 
#1 ·
Anyone have this new book?
Mauser Rifles, Vol. 1: 1870–1918 (Classic Guns of the World) Hardcover – November 17, 2020
$23 off Amazon I just ordered it. The color pictures and displays look promising for the price.

All I know is that I am in need of reference material as I seek to expand my collection into Imperial German rifles of this era. Hope this is a good down and dirty reference, it looks like it will fit the bill. I'll update when I get it.

Reactions: mauserdad
#4 · (Edited)
I didn't handle the book, just had some internet research. I've checked the preview on Amazon (pages 5-12). From my impression about the book:
  • it's a translation of a small French book by Luc Guillou, which appeared in 2016 in the 'Gazette des armes'. 80 pages, 14.60€ LES FUSILS MAUSER 1870-1918 HS GAZETTE DES ARMES N °22
  • there's a 2nd part as well, for Mauser rifles 1918-1945
  • published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd
  • there are some minor typos, occuring from the translation from French. That translation might also be the source of some cases of strange wording...
  • The story told is quite detailed and accurate. The pics are good and detailed. From book dimensions (about 9 x 12''), the pics should be well visible
  • there are similar books from the same author, about Luger 08 pistol, German submachine guns, MG34/42, American submachine guns...
  • other books in this series (Garand M1, Colt 1911...) are by Jean Huon, a well-known French author

Overall: a quite detailed book about the old Mauser rifles, with respect to the size of the book. The quality might not be 100%, due to size and translation errors. But still a good overview, with pretty good pics. Have a look at the preview on amazon.com...
80 pages are not much, but more detailed books (like Dieter Storz) are significantly more expensive...

hope this is helpful, Chris

#6 ·
Book just arrived today from Amazon.
I must say for the price, the pictures and lay out quality are GREAT! Not a big book at only 80 pages. But the full color pictures, with lots of period pics and accessories and accouterments shown.
Looks like a good general rundown on all the major German guns from 1871-1918. Glad there is a section on the Gew 88 (even though its NOT a Mauer design) but the context makes sense with the others.
So having only flipped through it, I think my first impression is that its great for what I need. I'm looking at adding one of each major model from this period to my collection, and I always try to get a book to reference them before buying. For $23 this looks good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.