Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rifle that I have been quietly working on for a few months now. It started way back when I bought a "fixer upper" from gunbroker that, from appearances, only for it to need a lot more than I thought as it turned out since the stock that was attached to it was a Kar98a stock and not a rifle stock. I sold that stock to another user, and sat on the barrel, receiver + internals and bolt from the original gun. I got a few offers for the remaining parts, but waited for another stock to reveal itself that I could use, but not much luck as ebay prices for stocks alone tended to be in the mid 400s even in crap shape. I contemplated the best offer I had for the action, but then saw a demilled one coming up for auction a few weeks ago. I decided to give it one last shot, and took a swing at it, and won it for less than what stocks alone were selling for. I've been polishing up the stock, and reassembling the parts. Its now come to this.
Table Wood Outdoor furniture Brickwork Brick
Furniture Outdoor bench Wood Brick Table
Wood Window Brick Brickwork Floor
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Nice Save!

I've done a few of these myself over the years. I get where you were at, I just hate to see them linger for lack of a couple components if they are otherwise "All there". I'd be proud to have that one in my stable.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice Save!

I've done a few of these myself over the years. I get where you were at, I just hate to see them linger for lack of a couple components if they are otherwise "All there". I'd be proud to have that one in my stable.
It was quite the undertaking on the stock too. I didn't get a picture of it before I started working on it, but it was solid black from years of neglect and grim. At one point when I was done with scrubbing it by hand, my fingers had that same dark residue that was on it down to the palm of my hand XD
 

· Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
I’ve done it, bought a few barreled receivers and waited for a 98 bolt to surface, straight or bent, didn’t care. SARCO had or has some orphaned stocks that will fit, either Israeli stocks or Yugo.

Not worth anything, but they shoot, and they are a complete K98, just a bunch of parts that work.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
Ive done a couple ‘03s. Its very satisfying to start with a bubba’ed up mess and end up with a complete rifle that shoots pretty good. Even though it can never be ‘original’ again so what. Nice rebuild.
ps; what I always say, needs a sling and bayonet to complete it.
 

· Platinum Bullet Member
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
... It started way back when I bought a "fixer upper" from gunbroker that, from appearances, only for it to need a lot more than I thought as it turned out since the stock that was attached to it was a Kar98a stock and not a rifle stock. ...
How did the large-ring action fit into a Kar98a stock? Just curious...
M
 

· Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
It was quite the undertaking on the stock too. I didn't get a picture of it before I started working on it, but it was solid black from years of neglect and grim. At one point when I was done with scrubbing it by hand, my fingers had that same dark residue that was on it down to the palm of my hand XD
That stock looks like it cleaned up great from your description! What did you use/how did you clean the stock? Trying to find a definitive way to clean a dirty rifle stock without damaging the finish. I've read everything from just wiping with Ballistol, to howards feed'n'wax, Renaissance Wax, mineral spirits...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That stock looks like it cleaned up great from your description! What did you use/how did you clean the stock? Trying to find a definitive way to clean a dirty rifle stock without damaging the finish. I've read everything from just wiping with Ballistol, to howards feed'n'wax, Renaissance Wax, mineral spirits...
A mix of Kroil and type 0000 steel wool. I stayed away from what little of the markings remains since it as already sanded down to begin with and just focus on the dark spots. For more severe parts I used a mixture of 30 second cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. When it was at a satisfactory point of removal I used a polish called "restore a finish" to bring out the shine it would have had new.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Did something similar with an M96 Swede, and don't regret a moment of the process. Ended up with an M38 pattern Swede but it was worth the experience and the pride that comes with knowing what I started with and where I finished! Having recently gotten a Garand, I feel way less bad about having "all matching" examples in general, so I may do this again one day with a mix of Polish, Israeli, Yugo and German parts to make a mix-Maus-ter! ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
I’ve done that to myself far too many times on GB.. I do enjoy it but must admit it doesn’t save money as I often tried to convince myself. Also ended up with some unexpected projects as well. Looks pretty good…I need to sell some of my excess stocks and parts I guess.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top