Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a " Mod. 98 Mauser, 8 mm.-226 " as written in the ad, that will be in a local auction in a couple days.
No further description available at present, as attempts to contact the auctioneer have not been answered so far.

Does anyone have any clue at to what the number 226 may indicate ?

I haven't found anything in either of my books so far.
Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
" Mod. 98 Mauser, 8 mm.-226 "

When the 8x57mm (Patrone-88) cartridge was introduced in 1888 it carried a 226-grain bullet. It was this same cartridge that the Model 1898 was originally chambered for, until being replaced by the Patrone-S in 1903. Possibly this rifle was manufactured before the changeover and escaped rechambering. Just a possibility...

Jim

·
Registered
644 Posts
?

That number does not correspond to any numerical K98k code. So your guess is as good as any. It probably is the number assigned to that item for auction consignment. You might get to the auction and find it is a Gew98 or another 98 model of the Mauser. But it would be nice if the auction house gave longer descriptions of items up for auction. I ran into that problem a great deal when I was building my collection and used several auction houses in NJ and PA. These days some of the high end auction houses have a nice online presentation of items to be auctioned like Freeman's in Philadelphia. Check your local yellow pages for auction houses and then go look them up online. It will save you some time instead of going in blind.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all.
I checked the Blue Book under Mausers and found they did make a Sporter rifle which was the Mod.225, I believe it said discontinued in 1989.
There was a " left hand " variation of that model which was called Mod.226. Did not list the calibers except 9 or 13 different ones, .243 thru .300 Mag.
Could be the reference to the # 226 in the ad.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Local auctioneers are notorious for not knowing squat about weapons, and especially old military weapons....the -226 reference could be anything from a serial number to something bubba scratched into the stock....rule of thumb is....auction ads are useless for details....Go see the rifle before hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.