Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a small collection of Mauser rifles { K98, M48, Mauser.22 trainer, a Swede 38, and 96} and love 'em.

I am looking at a 1895 Chileno Mauser C.A.I. import marked 29" "factory re-barrel " in .308 win. cal. { of course, non-matching numbers }. for $200. and the rifle looks to be pretty decent in the photo's I've seen.

Anyway, as I am some what unfamiliar with this model / caliber Mauser, I could use some advice and/or opinions of anything I need to look out for, or be aware of ?

Any input is greatly appreciated . Thanks ....!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,511 Posts
You would be better off with the original 7mm. The internet is full of problem reports with the .308 conversions. Google is your friend.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill, I just thought I'd post here, and ask for some "first hand " experience / info as opposed to " If you saw it on the internet, it must be true " " type reads. :confused: LOL !!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,511 Posts
Not exactly first hand, since I won't buy a .308 conversion, but I have seen photos of a cut away converted Chilean rifle. It seems the new chamber insert was soldered in and the flash from firing eroded the solder over time. There is a Swedish Mauser website with detailed information on this.

Regards,
Bill

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I did convert a small ring 98 from 7x57 to .308. The magazine was not the right shape. I bent out the sides one to admit the .308. There appears to be a little taper on the 7x57 case where there is very little on the .308 requiring a fatter magazine up front . Also the 5 shot 7x57 magazine would not hold five 308 rounds so that the bolt can close over a fully loaded magazine. No big deal if I want an empty chamber only four will go in mag with the bolt closed. A stripper clip will load five into the mag, but the bolt must push one into the chamber for the bolt to go home, which is fine for me.
For the spanish guns there was some talk years ago claiming that some cetme 7.62x51 loads were not not loaded to full specs and such ammo was fine in the converted mauser 95 that the spanish used. If I have a 95 mauser in .308 I would shot lighter reloads in it and only full loads for hunting and such, but not for practice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts