Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends,
I bought one of the 1946 French-assembled HSc's from the Mauser plant. The pistol is matched and all parts appear to be the original ones. The pistol works perfectly in all aspects of it's unique design, except in one instance.
1. When I load a full mag and the slide automatically goes forward as it should to load a round in the chamber, the hammer remains cocked and the safety lever is pointed up on Fire, of course.
2. If I want to stop firing in single-action and go to double action (hammer down), I move the safety lever down to safe and then pull the trigger to release the hammer. This works and is correct.
3. Here's the hiccup: when I try to move the safety lever back up to the Fire position, it stops just before seating. To remedy, I pull back on the hammer less than a millimeter, then the safety lever clicks up in the fire position itself. It it very close to being okay.

Does anyone have an idea what tiny spot may need a touch with a jeweler's file so the safety lever will seat in Fire after dropping the hammer? Ad note: With the hammer cocked, the safety lever freely clicks in both Safe and Fire. This only happens when the hammer is down and I try to move the safety lever to Fire.

Thank you!
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Remove the slide and see if the safety moves freely.
If so, look at any frame parts that might be interfering.

I'd look for burrs in the following places..........

The safety shaft.
The detent in the safety that seats in the recess in the side of the slide and gives it the "click".
The safety recess in the side of the slide.
The firing pin.
The inside of the slide around the safety.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much! I've tried to look for matching rough spots or rubs between the safety barrel and the edges of the sear but no luck. I'll look real close at all the spots you mentioned.
Finger Joint Technology Thumb Electrical supply

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I believe I have narrowed down to two possible causes for the safety lever not to go fully on Safe when the hammer is down.
1. It's either the top of the magazine safety being a tad too long in the rear which stops the safety lever from turning right before it clicks into place. I found that by placing a drop of paint on a rough-looking spot on the safety lever to see where it is hitting.
2. Or, it may be the firing pin being a tad too long in the rear which hangs-up on the face of the hammer while the safety lever is moving the back of the firing up to the hammer face. (The HSc safety moves the FP up and out of the range of the hammer face on Safe.) More work!!!!! I'm learning as I go. Oi'vey!!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT WAS THE FIRING PIN!!!!! Instead of sliding across the hammer face to get in position to fire from the Safe position, it was hanging-up on the hammer face. I took a jeweler's file and it only took 5 minutes of taking the edge off the rear of the FP to get it to slide over the hammer face. YAHOO!!!! Whew!
Thanks for listening and for the advice!!! 😁

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.