Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired this rifle and know very little about it. Can someone give me a brief lesson? Is this the K98? What round does it chamber? I belive it is 7.92x57...and is this ammo readily available. Anything to be aware of?
-Devildog888

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Nice Rifles

Hi, Your ?'s in order. It's not a K98 It's a G24t. It is a 8mm Mauser .323 bore 8x57Js. You can't buy ammo at Wally World but you can buy it from dozens of sponsers and members. If your not going to shoot a bunch I recomend privi partisan or wolf Gold. These rifles are controlled round feed you must push the cartridge down in the magazine before putting it in the chamber. Also the safety will not move unless the rifle is cocked and they c*ck on opening. These guns are set at 200 meters so if your plinking behind the barn at short range it's gonna shoot high. If you are going to strip the rifle down you will need to be careful when lifting the handguard off. They have strong springs that clamp the handguard to the barrel and a screw that must be removed by the rear sight. Also when you are lifting/pushing it up/off the rear sight must be raised and the handguard turned 90 degree's to clear the sight. It's better to leave it on the rifle than to split your matching hanguard in two. All the best. Sunfish

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Kysun hit all the important "to be aware of" issues concerning the G.24(t). Here is a very good article on them and the history:

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/g24(t).pdf

These are desireable rifles, and if matching, they go for good money. If not matching (the only numbered parts are the bolt, stock, receiver, barrel) they are still some of the higher quality wartime German rifles. Good find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentlemen, will do. I also have a Danish Krag, M89 and a M1938 Mannlicher-Carcano. Any info regarding these rifles??

·
Banned
9,193 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ham,
Still the best 24T article in print, but even the information in that one is spotty even after the update 4-5 years ago.

The production numbers are completely and totally wrong and there are some little things that should be changed as well and some larger one that have been omitted as well.

5 numbered components on the 24T, including the hanguard. The reason I mention it is because the handguards should be proofed.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Thanks Malaki. I defer to you on these. By stock I meant handguard as well, should have specified that though. Once Kysun digests that article he can come to you for details ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts