Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Mauser 1914 in great shape. The serial number is #34. The inscription on the side has X’s through the text. I would love any info I can get.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are letters and numbers also X’d out. What’s strange to me is that with a serial number so low then according to the research, it should be a humpback model which it is not.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I recall correctly off hand this was a small batch for a police contract and had there own numbering sequence. I am sure 1914mauser will be able to chime in with better info or once I get home I can look it up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
34 is definitely not the serial number - probably a confiscated police property number - serial number would not be on front of slide - better picture of X'd out numbers should help -

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes. The full serial is on the slide. Also back of frame. Alot of smaller parts will have the last three or 4 digits.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Missing pictures reposted a few:
Quote from above link
"Here are some photos of an interesting 1914 Mauser ser#22. Obviously it is a later 1914 and apparently part of a group in it's own serial range. Originally it was marked Pol Pras(umlaut) E - B Nr. 22. This was canceled out and the front strap marked K.D.II.22. "

200733173043_MVC-355S.JPG
200733172929_MVC-353S.JPG

·
Registered
111 Posts
History Writ in Steel by D. Maus chapt 5. He States "in addition to employing a marking formula not seen in other type 2 markings, the Mauser 1914s of Elberfeld-Barmen/Wuppertal also have serial numbers matching the property numbers indicating these pistols were of a special contract".
He has no. 148 pictured. I Also found serial number one discussed in another thread on the Jan still Luger gunboard forum. It's markings conform to the original one in discussion as well as #22 and 148.
The canceled markings on the grip strap s are usually Kripo markings from various regions of Dusseldorf.
So there you have it.
Also thank you to the above poster who retreived the missing photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same model gun Serial # 1. It is a small police contract estimated to number about 50 pieces.

View attachment 3775494 View attachment 3775495 View attachment 3775496 View attachment 3775497 View attachment 3775498
I have the same model gun Serial # 1. It is a small police contract estimated to number about 50 pieces.

View attachment 3775494 View attachment 3775495 View attachment 3775496 View attachment 3775497 View attachment 3775498

Do you know the estimated value of these pistols? Surely yours is worth more but what are your thoughts on value ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found #145 on gunsinternational.com for sale. The guy who owns it knows nothing about it other than he bought it as
estate sale.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you know the estimated value of these pistols? Surely yours is worth more but what are your thoughts on value ?
I paid quite a lot of money for mine, as I have a fascination for serial # 1 firearms. I would imagine higher serial numbers would be priced like other police 1914's times two because of the unusual serial number range. This is a guess on my part as I am a collector, not a dealer.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I paid quite a lot of money for mine, as I have a fascination for serial # 1 firearms. I would imagine higher serial numbers would be priced like other police 1914's times two because of the unusual serial number range. This is a guess on my part as I am a collector, not a dealer.
Do you have any other number ones? It's an interesting niche in gun collecting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I personally think value is a little subjective here because of the scarcity of the pistols involved, and most collectors might just view them as police 1914s. So if I was buying from a private individual #34 I would put it's price around 700-800
You can get pretty nice police 1914 with matching mags in the 400-500 range. So again that just my personal opinion. Some people might think I am low, others high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts