Matchlock Fuse Chemistry?
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87967
Printed on: 09/13/2007

Topic:

Topic author: Ronin48
Subject: Matchlock Fuse Chemistry?
Posted on: 02/08/2005 2:10:25 PM
Would like to bring the 'new' Japanese matchlock to the shootout this Spring. This is the one sold by Dixie and Navy Arms back in the early 90s. I still have a couple of feet of fuse Shigeo Sugawa (author of the two Matchlock books, one translated into English and "Japanee Weapons and Equipment.")gave me some years ago. Shigeo's fuse has lost its ability to hold "fire.'

Can one of you chemistry majors suggest a way to treat the fuse or make a new fuse that will continue to smolder once lighted?

Replies:

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 02/08/2005 6:33:57 PM
I seem to remember that these fuses were soaked in sulphur. If I remember right sulphur is soluble in ethanol(not scotch). With some trial and error you may be able to create new fuse from cotton rope. Should not take a really high content of sulphur. You can find denatured ethyl alcohol at a good paint store or buy everclear at the spirits store and drink the leftovers. Good luck.

Reply author: Gregg
Replied on: 02/08/2005 7:09:02 PM
I have made "slow matches", that is what the stuff is called; buy soaking cotton cord or small diameter rope (100% cotton cord and rope is not easy to find now-a-days) in a saturated solution of salt peter (potassium nitrate). Just put the cord into the solution, let sit for a while, remove and let air dry.
If the match burns too quickly for your liking, reduce the solution strength. You should soon find the right mix that will stay lit, but does not burn away too fast.
Do not make the mistake of buying ironing board lacing cord. Yes it is 100% cotton, but it is also treated with a flame retardend.
Regards, Gregg

Reply author: bbe
Replied on: 02/08/2005 9:35:41 PM
I made mine as above, cotton cord soaked in a solution of potassium nitrate. I don't know where to find solid braid cotton cord. I think sash cord is all cotton. bbe

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 02/10/2005 3:24:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. Source for potassium nitrate?

Replied on: 02/10/2005 6:30:15 PM
30 years ago you could buy the stuff in drug stores.
Gregg

Reply author: fredh
Replied on: 02/10/2005 7:56:44 PM
I'm more interested in the spirits. Had forgotten about Everclear. Didn't know it was still being sold. Years ago when in college, a quart of that stuff was guaranteed good for at least 6 good drunks. And you know college kids......we drank for effect, certainly not taste.

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 02/10/2005 8:10:39 PM
Anyone have an address for a 'chemical supply house?"

Reply author: garfield
Replied on: 02/10/2005 8:46:35 PM

quote: Originally posted by Eloldehombre1

Anyone have an address for a 'chemical supply house?"

Why don't you search Google or Dogpile, Pigpen?

Reply author: swilson010
Replied on: 02/10/2005 9:01:32 PM

quote: Originally posted by Eloldehombre1

Thanks for the replies. Source for potassium nitrate?

Go to eBay and search for "potassium nitrate". There are several current auctions offering it in powder form from 5 pounds to 50 pounds of the stuff.

Replied on: 02/11/2005 7:02:27 PM
McMaster Carr has 100% cotton twine for only $4.00 per ball.
They also have 100% cotton cord that is 1/8 inch in diameter, $5 for 100 feet.
That would be a life time supply of slow match.
Gregg

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts