Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was on Amazon (today for ??? reason I can't get on) and checked "Tanegashima. It pulled up a book with that (Tanegashima) as the first word in the title. A hardcopy was $50 or $60 and a paper-bound was around $25-30 used. AS I remember all the used ones came from the UK so apparently it's not a U.S. published book. Have any of you read it and is it worth the money?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's " Tanegashima - Europe Comes to Japan."

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
I have a copy of "Tanegashima - The Arrival Of Europe In Japan" by Olaf G. Lidin

It's been a while since I read it, but from what I remember it draws on Japanese and European accounts and highlights where there are discrepancies in the various accounts. It's an interesting though slightly heavy read.

The ISBN numbers for different editions are;
0-7007-1674-2 (European cloth edition)
0-7007-1675-0 (European paperback edition)
87-91114-10-11 (American/Asian cloth edition)
87-91114-12-8 (American/Asian paperback)

You could try eBay for a copy in the USA.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I "Kindled" it, covers the nine year (?, 8 or 9) period between the arrival of the "Southern barbarians" with the first matchlock in 1543 and the following few years. I just started, but I doubt there will be anything I will want to reference in the future.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my point of view it's a "save your money" book. I'm about 75% through it and the only thing I've read, worthwhile, is that there were probably TWO Portuguese on the Chinese junk that was blown into Tanegashima and not THREE and the date was Sept 1543.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Repro yellow TNT?

Honey Boo Boo suggest filling the cut away KM shell with a yellow substance to mirror the original color material. Think he suggested sugar mixed with lemon Cool Aid or a urine/sugar mix (joke) Any ideas on what to use?

On page 38 of the knee mortar book there is a sectioned shell which appears to be filled with a yellow - orange substance.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,664 Posts
Was it a yellow "caked" or "granular"?

Mustard or Ginger for the first and any one know how big and what color mustard seed is?

Sugar will dissolve in urine and make a paste plus your exhibit would only attract dogs or people into watersports.:burp

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was suppose to be a new "subject" not included on the book one. my bad, or my "medical CRS.".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts