Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time, I have collected everything but Mausers. Now a collecting buddy who loves his Mausers has me wanting some and sold me this BYF 44 today. We believe it is matching however some of the numbers on the parts appear to to misstamped.

The serial number on the barrel is 2050k but some of the bolt parts have what appears to be a 2950k. Is this mismatched or is it a factory mistake? How collectible would this rifle be considered in the K98 world?

Attachments

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,740 Posts
Looks to be a factory error with the bolt body over stamped to repair, but the rest left as is (not uncommon). How collectible depends on what else matches.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
It could be a factory anomaly. It also could be one of these "guys" that try to deceive. I'm leaning towards factory. The chances of finding a same suffix bolt 900 or so away from your guns serial is very low. Luger magazines close to the guns serial, including suffix, happens. It's doable if enough dedicated time is committed. Most common I've seen is same serials with different suffix.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks to be a factory error with the bolt body over stamped to repair, but the rest left as is (not uncommon). How collectible depends on what else matches.
Every part that I know of being numbered matches. I have not pulled the stock off but the previous owner who is a close friend that I trust did and he said it matched, the Handguard and other numbered parts under the wood line match. I didn’t include a picture, but the floor plate matches as well. How does the factory screw up, if that’s what it is, affect the value/collectibility? I apologize for the ignorant questions. Mausers are not my forte.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe what you've shown is legit, but as Mike pointed out...how does everything else look. The stock matching in the barrel channel and the remainder of the parts have yet to be seen and could impact the value drastically. I would take the time to show them, because it is certainly not unheard of for people to renumber barrel bands, floorplates and the like.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe what you've shown is legit, but as Mike pointed out...how does everything else look. The stock matching in the barrel channel and the remainder of the parts have yet to be seen and could impact the value drastically. I would take the time to show them, because it is certainly not unheard of for people to renumber barrel bands, floorplates and the like.
Here are the other external parts. Trigger guard, floor plate, and bands. I can’t seem to get the forward band to budge. I’m afraid of damaging the end of the stock pounding on it or the bands. I’m curious to see it though. The friend I bought it from said he had it apart at one point and that the wood matched.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,224 Posts
I can’t seem to get the forward band to budge. I’m afraid of damaging the end of the stock pounding on it or the bands.
Have you depressed (pushed inward) the round "button" on the forward end of the bandspring using the point of a live round?
The "stuck band" condition might just be that, or it could also be due to some severe hack-hammering by a PO: both bands are badly dented / dinged-up.
In fact, that front band is absolutely mangled.
To not continue the same mistakes: avoid using steel hammers, chisels, scewdrivers, punches, etc.
Might consider removing the bandspring, then use a block of soft wood (pine works well) or rubber mallet to carefully/gradually tap both bands forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts