Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought (another) 91/30 from Big 5, and when I picked it up there were 5 extra bayonets in the box, making a total of 6 for one rifle. None match the rifle I bought, and I didn't expect it to, but it did get me to thinking. All these rifles out there and none of the bayonet #'s match, or should I say most of them don't match. How hard would it be to build a database of bayonet #'s that others could peruse, and try and match up the bayonets to their original rifles? Would it be possible, say, to match up bayonet #5232 to the rifle that has the same serial #? Has anyone tried this, and would it increase the value of the rifle if it had a numbers matching bayo? Also, did the numbers ever match up when these were first built, or did they just issue them out willy-nilly in the first place? Anyone know? Thanks!

·
Registered
18,545 Posts
yes, many are forced matched
when I got to pick my first two out of the crate at the LGS, got to pick their matching bayonets too

most are FORCED matched, but yes, they were stored with a usually matching bayonet

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Let's see, about 17 million made. Would be a very large data base. I like the thought though; I've got a couple of Mosin Nagants with the matching bayonets, unforced serial numbers.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i got a matching stamped bayonet with my 1926 91/30 refurb but it is to tight to put on the rifle. Don't want to bend it into shape so it just sits reversed on the rifle.
I bought my 27 Tula from Gander Mtn, and asked to see all the bayonets, having looked at 20 on the rack, I noticed all were matching #'s
to the rifles on the racks. So, out of the dozen bayonets I have, and 5 MN rifles, one is entirely all matching!

Got a piece of barrel from a Bubba who cut it off. I whack it onto the bayonet with a rubber mallet. All my bayonets fit perfectly!
Probably could use a tapered punch. Couple of whacks does it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts