Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RRAD rebuilt in 62 M1 SA Garand. The stock is nice with the RRAD on it. I have birch front and rear top handguards that are unfinished. Does anyone know what they used at RRAD to finish stocks and how I can match it?

Hoping the hive mind has an answer.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,506 Posts
Show a picture of what they look like now.
I have used Feibing's [sp?] shoe dye, a mixture of dark brown and oxblood to get the match. I have used an old wash cloth as an applicator, it is easier to apply lighter coats that way [not too much stain at one time]. After the stain has dried I have used heated Linseed oil to seal the wood.

Chuck.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,506 Posts
Does the grain of the hand guards match that of the stock?
If you can, post a picture of all the wood on the same contrasting color background.
Do you want the three pieces of wood to be the same color tone, the color of the present stock color, or just make them all match a lighter or darker color?

Chuck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Chuck for responding. The pieces for the top are NOS. Below are 2 pictures of one piece with stock I want to match. I'm not looking for perfect just a decent match to the RRAD stock. Pictures taken under a fluorescent lamp on my workbench.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,506 Posts
They are close in color now. You can try a little [boiled is okay] linseed oil in the channel of the rear hand guard and then compare it to the stock. It may surprise you how close in color they are :)
You can rub the stains [they look like water stains] on the front hand guard with a plastic scrub pad and a little soapy water and then rinse well.

Chuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts