Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my MAS 49 the other day, going to try her out this weekend, paid $411 for her so it was a good buy to me since I have seen them selling for $600 on up, she has a clean bore and the wood is excellent :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Excellent find at a great price! I love the fact that it still has the black enamel finish.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,481 Posts
Excellent find at a great price! I love the fact that it still has the black enamel finish.
I have seen a fair number of MAS 44 rifles with the black enamel finish, but never a painted 49 or a 49/56 for that matter. Comments? :confused:

PS:

Nice rifle at a good price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am new to buying French rifles, but had always wanted a MAS 44 or 49, bought a 36 on Gunbroker the other day, and now that you mention the black enamel finish, I have mostly seen the parkerized ones and hardly any painted ones, is that what they did to only the MAS 44s and maybe some of the early 49s?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Never seen enamel on a '49 either. But then again, I haven't seen many non-Syrian '49's to compare it to. It does look refereb'd at some time. Perhaps it was an eariler referb done when they did the '44's, rather than a post-import "restoration".
However it got painted, it is still a nice piece, and a nice price for a non-Syrian '49. CONGRATS???
Selector67, is it import marked?? if so, is there paint in the stamps??

TOM

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The early Mas 44 had the black enamel paint finish, The Mas 49 were all parkerized like the Mas 36-51.

kelt

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The Mas 49 has a dovetail milled on the left side of the receiver to host the APX L 806 scope, such arrangement requires tight tolerances and can't be painted, a paint job on a Mas 49 was not part of the finishing or refurbishing process.

The black enamel paint finish was made obsolete before the fabrication of the Mas 49 started, the early Mas 36 and Mas 44 lost their paint job for a deep parkerization when they were refurbished.

kelt

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
They are usually import marked at the muzzle, but I have seen a several that are marked on the reciever on the left side on the scope mount dovetail, or between the scope mount dovetail and the wood line
TOM

·
Copper Bullet Member
82 Posts
I have two French rifles. A 36 and a 49-56.The latter rifle seems a possible collector choice. How about the 36 that you mention that you purchased. What is the value on that rifle?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 36 I am waiting to come to my FFL dealer, I paid $155 for her on Gunbroker, I have seen 36s go as high as $500 especially the 36s with the grenade launcher barrel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts