Gunboards Forums banner

Mas 49 price check

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Michael Jon Littman 
#1 ·
What are the French 49's that AIM brought in about 10 years ago going for these days? If I remember correctly there was less than 300.

#3 ·
Actually I believe the number imported was 260 and were imported by AIM in the '90s. So it's a very rare rifle especially since there were 74,000 French MAS 49s made. I was thrilled to find mine in a shop in Washington State through another collector who spotted it. Thank goodness for a C&R.

In comparison the Syrian contract model saw 6000 made about about 1/2 imported. The MAS 44 saw 6000 made about about 1/2 imported.

This is one rifle like the Rashid which simply hasn't been discovered yet by the general collector population, I think. Since the Rashid has been discovered in Iraq, it's seen more attention lately and the attending price increases over the last few years. The French MAS 49 will also be a sleeper in your collection to be awakened in a few years as collectible rifles become rarer and rarer.

Rome

#7 ·
I'd agree simply because of the rarity of this rifle.

We concretely know the importation of this rifle was limited to literally a handful. We know who imported it and when, too. We also know no more will be brought here. The internet has been responsible for making that information available whereas 15 years ago, most collectors didn't even know this rifle existed.

There are few rifles that I'd buy second copies of but the Rashid and the French MAS 49 are two that make perfect sense from strictly an investment aspect.

Rome

#9 ·
MAS 1949 Rifles

If you are interested, I have several here for sale, F 74XXX and F 10XXX to mention two of them....These came from AIM..PM or E Mail for details...Also I have one Mle 1944 here....all are in mint/rebuilt or as issued in the case of the Mle 44.

Dale

#10 ·
"Actually I believe the number imported was 260 and were imported by AIM in the '90s."

My 49s and 44s were all imported by Century Arms. AIM may have been the dist. of some French rifles, but I do not ever recall them being stamped on any weapons as the "importer".

#12 ·
Where are these rifles going for

at these prices? I've seen at least 4 or 5 the last 2 months, ranging from $300.00 but never more than $450.00, and that one was with a shoe box full of stuff, spare mags in leather pouches, cleaning kit, night sight in leather pouch.... on and on. I saw 2 in Tennessee a month ago for $325.00 and $350.00. These appeared to be "standard" 7.5 Fr. rifles, the 49/56 variety. Is it only the 49 model the one that is more rare and not the 49/56?
I have a 49/56 .308 conversion with bayo I could be talked out of......I need 1946-48 Long Branch(es).

#15 ·
at these prices? I've seen at least 4 or 5 the last 2 months, ranging from $300.00 but never more than $450.00, and that one was with a shoe box full of stuff, spare mags in leather pouches, cleaning kit, night sight in leather pouch.... on and on. I saw 2 in Tennessee a month ago for $325.00 and $350.00. These appeared to be "standard" 7.5 Fr. rifles, the 49/56 variety. Is it only the 49 model the one that is more rare and not the 49/56?
I have a 49/56 .308 conversion with bayo I could be talked out of......I need 1946-48 Long Branch(es).

These numbers jive with my experiences too. When Dan Mayfield died, last year, his collection was sold rather quickly at the behest of his widow. I was lucky enough to obtain a MAS 44, MAS 49F and MAS 49S from his collection for about the prices mentioned above.

#14 · (Edited)
Who be the importer??

According to Steve at AIM, they bought the 260 Mle 49 Rifles from Century Arms, Century did not want to advertise such a small quantity....So Steve bought the whole batch. He told me this about 8 years ago, when I was trying to get the list of serial numbers that he sold.

In any case the Mle 49-56 was imported in some quantity, but the French issue Mle 49 was not. So this is a "rare" gun just by quantity in the US, however the average dealer or collector does not care about French guns, so we have a chance to load up on them!!

I have bought only one that was not from this batch, a non-Syrian 49, that came from Syria to Canada. It had the UAR Decal on the stock. It is the only non-rebuilt Mle 49 French that I have ever seen. With so many rebuilt like new guns around, it is nice to find an original one to compare with the new ones....

Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.