Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across of French MAS-49 converted to 7.5 Swiss today. Has anyone heard of this being done before? It stated gas system was modified to vent out the top of the hand guard. So I assume they are correct about it being converted.

I've been wanting a semi-auto 7.5 Swiss. Ideally a Stgw57 or neutered equivalent of one. However this MAS-49 is intriguing if nothing else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Silver Bullet member
1,149 Posts
I've heard of one here in Switzerland which surfaces at internal collector gunshows but I have yet to see it. All I know is that it has a bipod fitted and that somehow the gas system was disabled due to it not functioning well with GP11. The (unconfirmed) rumour is that the Swiss tested it whilst working on the Stg57. I hope to see it in the flesh at some point.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I saw it too. Look closer at the serial #. It is a Syrian contract that someone with a couple Swiss bolt guns converted to something he had a lot of ammo for. If I had it, I would pull the barrel and go .308. Seems a little pricey for something to rework. OK if you are really into Swiss ammo. I guess.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,106 Posts
Are you certain it is still a semi-auto? "The gas system modified to vent out the top of the handguard" suggests that it is now a straight pull.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
The 78mm OAL of the 7,5x55 Swiss is in excess of the acceptable cartridge length for a reliable feeding from the magazine of the Mas FSA built in 7,5x54 (76mm).

The direct impingement gas system of the Mas FSA is very forgiving, Mas 44 and 49 test rifles have been built in 30-06, 7x57, 8x57.....using the original 7,5x54 bolt/gas system, only change were the lengthened receiver and magazines.

kelt

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Both are 30cal why change it? I kept my orginal [p92] French MAS 49/56 Commando rifle in 7.5 French and traded off my 49/56's in 308. Both ran 308 ammo well. The 49/56 is a cute little semi auto but she has the bark of a bull dog.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have to agree with you, 1911crazy. I own a couple of 49/56 Centry converts and have had others that worked well with GI or soft point .308 ammo. Other than an occasional double fire (Slam fire), they all worked fine. The double fire can be easily fixed and it is more of an ammo problem than a design flaw. I suspect the terrible conversions you hear about have more basis in rumor than fact.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I shot the South African 308 surplus ammo and I reload using the cci #34 NATO primers. Soft primers cause slamfires in semi autos with floating firing pins. I liked my 49/56's in 308 but I purchased saigas in 308.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Also have a .308 conversion 49/56. Never had a slamfire but it's been gone through with the murray's firing pin, starmetal's gas valve, a new recoil spring, etc. Thing works fine with pretty much any ammo I throw at it. Ammo is cheaper and more available than 7.5 too so I can save my brass for the 36/51.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As Kelt pointed out earlier, some cartridges are way over length to feed properly. If you are talking 8x57, it is too long, unless you modify it to feed similar to the early autos with out a detachable magazine. It may squeeze in then. Anyway, right now 7.5 French is easier to buy than good 8x57.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I like my French MAS 49/56 in the orginal 7.5 French. FOM was the first to offer new 7.5 French ammo decades ago. Any ammo order I did for other ammo I threw in 10 boxes of 7.5 French too. I also purchased new 7.5 French brass too. It pays to stock up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.