Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Titanium firing pins are a great but expensive solution to the safe use of soft primed cartridges in the Mas 49 & 49-56, keep in mind that blunted standard firing pins work perfectly at no cost.

The firing pin are interchangeable only if the bolt of the Mas 49 has been replaced by a 49/56 bolt which is often the case, check the following link for informations about slamfire and firing pin interchangeability:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?225343-MAS-49-56-Runaway-Gun

kelt

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going through my collection now - doing the annual count and clean.

Whats the odd of a Syrian MAS 49 having the later bolt???

Should be able to post pics in a day or two.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I don't know about the Mas 49 "export" for Syria, they were made in 1953, the type 2 bolt and firing pin ("O") were introduced in the late 50s and most Mas 49 and the early 49-56 in French service were retrofitted in the early 60s for ease of maintenance within the French Army.

kelt

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is. No "O's on parts. Looks like a "V" on one.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,258 Posts
That is a Correct Firing Pin for a MAS 49.....they were Blackened .... with a Rounded Head ....
Where as the "O" stamped MAS 49/56 firing pins are Silver with Beveled Heads

I have two Complete "O" stamped NOS MAS Bolt Assembles ....

if anyone is interested..... email me .

Buddy

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again.

All the advice I have see has been for MAS 49/56 or later French updated MAS 49s.

No interest in switching out my bolt.

Seems my only alternative is to blunt/shorten the firing pin. Not a particularly appealing idea considering I don't know if I can get another,

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Thanks again.

All the advice I have see has been for MAS 49/56 or later French updated MAS 49s.

No interest in switching out my bolt.

Seems my only alternative is to blunt/shorten the firing pin. Not a particularly appealing idea considering I don't know if I can get another,
First you will need to check the protrusion of your firing pin inside the bolt face with the bolt assembly in the locked position, tolérances for French military ammunition was mini 1,3mm and maxi 1,8mm.
removing 0,5mm off the tip leaving a flat surface with no sharp angles does the trick, I have used flattened firing pins with a 0,8mm protrusion, it worked flawlessly with civilian ammunition (7.08 Remington).

kelt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.