3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MAS 49/56 Author Topic
wayne in boca
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1901 Posts
Posted - 04/20/2007 : 06:16:26 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,my MAS 49/56 came in the mail yesterday,and she is sweet.Looks new,inside and out.Obviously unfired since arsenal rebuild,and came with all the accessories too.Had to look hard for import marks,tiny little letters on the scope rail.What a beautiful rifle.I don't know how I went this long without one.When my ammo gets here from AIM,I'm off to the range.

milsurpriflecollector17
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
447 Posts
Posted - 04/22/2007 : 10:26:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to get one of these, but after I get an Enfield. Can you post pictures?

Moe
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
530 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2007 : 08:25:52 AM

49/56's are grossly under rated rifles.A word of caution though.If you plan on reloading the brass put a ground cloth down or something to catch the brass.49/56's throw the brass almost as far as the bullets.

Grit
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
247 Posts
Posted - 04/23/2007 : 10:09:46 PM

I just bought one and took it out yesterday with some new ammo from AIM.I wish I had bought one sooner!Great accuracy and function!You are right Moe...It does send the brass flyin'.

Tom-M
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 05/09/2007 : 11:10:20 PM

I bought a titanium fireing pin and the newer "MASS" ammo some years back. Now I consider it more than equal to any of my M1 Garands. Flawless operation, and a great shooter. Everyone I have let shoot it - instantly fell in love with it.
Unfortunately the lack of proper ammo, and the flawed attempts to convert them to .308 led to bad experiences with many shooters. Will take a while, I fear, for these rifles to get the credit they deserve.
I consider it the best buy on the market right now for a semi-auto rifle.

Edited by - Tom-M on 05/09/2007 11:16:43 PM

arcom the first

Congo, Democratic Republic of
1360 Posts
Posted - 05/13/2007 : 9:33:57 PM

I consider it the best buy on the market right now for a semi-auto rifle

Well then you'd just about pee your knickers back a few years when they were $235, fresh from the arsenal, complete with 4 mags, cleaning kit, nite sights, leather pouches, and a new sling!

Edited by - arcom the first on 05/13/2007 9:35:19 PM

Tom-M

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 01:15:04 AM

Thats when I bought mine, what I got with them (slso a broken shell extractor), and what I paid for them. Still think they are under-priced now!

djenkins

USA
807 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 02:34:56 AM

I got one of mine from SOG for $199 just before they sold out of them.
Got the MAS 36 for$69. SOG had rearsenaled MAS 36-51's on sale for $50 each in the fall of 2000.

Good old days.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

quote:
Originally posted by arcom the first

I consider it the best buy on the market right now for a semi-auto rifle

Well then you'd just about pee your knickers back a few years when they were $235, fresh from the arsenal, complete with 4 mags, cleaning kit, nite sights, leather pouches, and a new sling!

Edited by - djenkins on 05/14/2007 1:01:38 PM

arcom the first

1360 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 09:30:34 AM

If only that knuckleheaded moron (Chuckie DeG) wasn't so anti-US, the 49/56 would have been in the 7.62 NATO caliber with a 20 round mag. Old geezer never forgave us for not letting him retake Paris all by his lonesome along with his "crack" French troops. Of course, they would cost close to a grand today so maybe it was a good thing.

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 1:29:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by arcom the first

If only that knuckleheaded moron (Chuckie DeG) wasn't so anti-US, the 49/56 would have been in the 7.62 NATO caliber with a 20 round mag. Old geezer never forgave us for not letting him retake Paris all by his lonesome along with his "crack" French troops.

Arcom the first,

Insults are very poor substitute to reasoned arguments.

Charles De Gaulle was a great man who loved his Country before any other, and lucky for the Amis (French name for the Allied forces) that he managed to reinstate civil order in the French territories within days of their liberation and prevented the setup of the not so clever Allied Military Government of Occupied Countries (AMGOT)that would have led very quickly to civil unrest and worst thus hampering the war effort on the west front.

kelt

Tom-M

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 05/14/2007 : 2:16:32 PM

Unfortunately the 7.62 MM NATO round (although a great cartridge) is something we forced on NATO. The 7.5 French round had already been in service with France for some time, and their decision to keep it considering the number of weapons they had chambered for it should not be suprising. The US military similarly ignored the NATO decision to standardize on the 9mm cartridge for as long as possible.

Viva La Differance

Tom

vonmazur

USA
1762 Posts
Posted - 05/15/2007 : 12:15:55 PM

IMHO: The US copied the 7,5mm cartridge....because it was not invented here, they had to change it slightly....US Ordinance Authorites in tha time were among the most annoying of creatures...I dealt with those guys in Vietnam, and they were truly capaable of driving the Pope up a greased pole...

Dale

Joel
Gunboards Member

France
31 Posts
Posted - 05/15/2007 : 3:56:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vonmazur

IMHO: The US copied the 7,5mm cartridge....because it was not invented here, they had to change it slightly....

And it seems the 7.5 Mle 1924, then 1929 were created to "avoid" adopting the german 7,92x57, which is quite understandable considering the era context although it may have been the best choice to make from a technical standpoint...

arcom the first

1360 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2007 : 7:40:08 PM

I think it was John Foster Dulles who, when confronted by De Gaulle's order "No American soldiers on French soil!" quipped "Does that include the ones in the soil?"

It wasn't an insult. Just an opinion that some may not agree with. I would never call him a great man, however much he loved his country.

kelt

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 05/17/2007 : 12:57:12 PM

Arcom the first,

Blaming the French pull out of NATO on De Gaulle is a short cut through history and a half mistake.

The French pull out of NATO was a very slow process, carried by stages to allow adjustments to be made without weakening the Alliance and was initiated before DeGaulle came back to power in May of 1958, off course he implemented it!

It started by NATO refusal to allow French units well trained and equiped that were garrisoned in Germany to be transferred to Algeria in 1954, and as a result the reserves had to be activated, but when NATO command denied for the French Navy to carry out a naval blocade off the coast of Tunisia and Morroco in 1955, there was no alternative but to pull the needed mediterranean French fleet out of NATO control, and of course the Suez affaire in 1956, where the USA sided with the USSR against the British and French made it clear that the term "allies" had various meanings.

But during the Berlin crisis in 1961, and the Missile business in Cuba in 1962, De Gaulle and France stood firmly by the US, while Britain's Eden faltered and acted poorly as an ally.

The French troops based in Germany remained there after the French pullout of NATO Command, in fact nowadays, they are still in Germany under a different name "The Franco German brigade".

History is full of twists, but it is always worthwile to dig out the root causes of past actions to understand them better.

kelt

vonmazur

USA
1762 Posts
Posted - 05/17/2007 : 3:12:11 PM

Kelt: Bravo! about time someone pointed this out. I am sickened by the US State Dept. of the post war era...and the Suez affair (siding with USSR) was another stupid move by the same idiots....sorry for the digression, but I cannot blame the French for their actions in their own interest....

Dale

1 - 1 of 1 Posts